Resource icon

DiRT Rally Whatever You Do.. Don't Crash! 2.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Can you just use the visual part of the mod, and not have a problem online, or anywhere else? Or are they working together?

It DOES look very very convincing now. Cannot wait to see what you do with particle effects, I really think that could be improved a lot from current 'conservative' effects
It seems that using just the visual component (the cars folder) doesn't effect the ability to play online, however technically it DOES effect performance. wheel damage is calculated from deformation of the car, so the increased deformation will increase the damage.

Wait till you see crashes with the new particle system in action! Wholly crap, stuff goes everywhere LOL

--EDIT--

I forgot to mention, I have reconfigured the wheels so that they take more varied damage before becoming destroyed. This means that its less likely to a seized wheel from a small crash (it'll wobble or be mis-aligned instead until more damage is done)

I have also modified the breakable values for all the parts on all the cars. This means that bits will start swinging a bit earlier (for some parts) and break off! Its not a great deal weaker, however the increased damage makes it seem easier

its freaking awesome now! I'll be updating tonight

Last edited:

A sneak peak of the next update to WYDDC! I think I killed my Co-Driver :(

VHh5MY1.jpg

Side-swiped a tree while on 2 wheels
MKNWIaO.jpg

Hit a mud wall with the top of the windscreen! (ok, so I was spinning through the air just before-hand)

Its unfortunate that the glass is so unbreakable. I have tried modifying the settings, but it only makes them crack faster, not smash or come out

YStYFBQ.jpg

I just love how the brake is right there! Both front wheels came off when I hit that tree dead-on! As its impossible to actually destroy the engine, this is how the race will end for you in these front-on crashes. Side hits only do enough damage to knock off one wheel, so the terminal screen isn't triggered by this generally unless its a hard direct front hit

Last edited:
That's pretty cool Templar

I have also modified the breakable values for all the parts on all the cars. This means that bits will start swinging a bit earlier (for some parts) and break off! Its not a great deal weaker, however the increased damage makes it seem easier

Great stuff. It needs things smashed off as well as crumpled - bumper, spoiler, wing mirrors etc. Those bloody wing mirrors are indestructible!

What you said previously about the wheels etc. I'm quite happy with the mod's current set up. The crash in your video for example. I would expect severe wheel deformation and/or loss of wheels from a crash like that and not expect to drive away afterwards.

Anyway, it's a cracking project and makes the gameplay so much more realistic. Thanks.

Don't forget there is a roll cage in there that makes the 'cockpit' area quite strong, even after hitting trees.

First one comes to mind:

1392754357215.jpg

...I would expect severe wheel deformation and/or loss of wheels from a crash like that and not expect to drive away afterwards. ...Thanks.
No problem!

If your refering to the new video, that poor car sort-of drove off after that, but a few km's down the road the engine wore out :(

It will take a few passes on the cars before its just right. The damage modelling itself is not changing much, other than wheel breakage. I was watching a heap of rally crash videos, and one thing I noticed is the wheels break off after being damaged, which can happen now. But it does mean they are more likely to break off in a severe crash! terminal damage is only triggered if two wheels come off, which doesn't happen often.

I have found with this setup, the car can "survive" some pretty severe crashes, but the engine/driveshaft/wheels force the car to a complete halt through friction

A question for you : At the moment, damage is dealt up to 0.5 meters from the impact point to components of the car. What are you thoughts on that setting?

Don't forget there is a roll cage in there that makes the 'cockpit' area quite strong, even after hitting trees.

First one comes to mind:
What did he crash into there! ouch!

I agree its a bit much in the video/screens. This was a test of the settings, and I think I will lowered it before applying it to other vehicles. Just on the roof :)

I don't really understand the question Templar but I trust your judgement.
Say you hit something on the front left corner of the car. The left front wheel, left front suspension, radiator and engine are within half a meter of the corner on most of the cars, and all these components will also take damage ontop of the physical damage

Say you hit something on the front left corner of the car. The left front wheel, left front suspension, radiator and engine are within half a meter of the corner on most of the cars, and all these components will also take damage ontop of the physical damage
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I think that's the way to go. Being faced with realistic race ending damage is making me a better driver as I pay more attention now and I'm less gung-ho - as you would be in real life I guess.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I think that's the way to go. Being faced with realistic race ending damage is making me a better driver as I pay more attention now and I'm less gung-ho - as you would be in real life I guess.
I had to go back to Driving School basically LOL! Right back to opens to relearn how to drive properly! I can now kick Open AI's butt without ruining my car!

I just switched back to original for a bit of perspective. WOW is the damage arcadey! I didn't think it was too bad, but after playing with this its hilarious how tough the car is :p

It turns out the game will un-compiled versions of the damage settings on each car, which means I have much more control over the visual damage aspect! Ive been working through all the cars and testing them out with the latest setup

About 20 seconds into the race, I got a bit close to the left fence and over-corrected. This was the result
I needed a tow after that one. While the car engine started, forward didn't exactly work (reverse did!) and the entire rear chassis was out of alignment. I didn't even manage to get it to go another 5m down the track :p

Im sure you've all crashed here before. that sneaky crest

Great Mod thanks.
However for the first time I was on course to winning a stage, then I took a corner too wide and hit the front offside which ended my run.......typical!! as I was almost at the end.

TemplarGFX updated Whatever You Do.. Don't Crash! with a new update entry:

Deformables!

Welcome to WYDDC 2.0!

This update focus' on vehicle chassis deformation. Each vehicle has been extensively tweaked to allow much more severe chassis damage!

You can now :
Completely mis-align the front or rear wheels.
Bend the entire chassis
Crush every part
Squish the car

Damage modelling on the wheels and the engine have been modified slightly to give more variation to the damage you can get, and the scaling of said damage.

Enjoy!

Read the rest of this update entry...

Great mod, thanks!
I got one question though.
I think damage is even bigger than in real life, is there any chance you tone it down, maybe make another "light" mod version, somewhere between vanila and this version. If it's too much job just forget about it, I'll use this one. After I first learn how to drive on vanila that's it. :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%