What Would You Consider to be the Perfect Simulation?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The Perfect Simulation.jpg

What is a perfect racing simulation? RaceDepartment have a think on the subject and invite you to share your opinions...

The sim racing scene today is arguably as strong, if not stronger than it has ever been, with many varied and interesting simulations available on the marketplace for us all to enjoy across a number of gaming platforms. If you like trying your hand at the great and the good road cars from across the decades, or want to simulate a real life DTM championship, or sample many of the colourful and unique racing series from around the world then you can, sim racing today pretty much has something for everyone.

For those of us who enjoy large scale online racing careers with professional broadcasting, real world drivers and a complicated rating system to help encourage clean racing, then you can join up to one of the many iRacing events and have your fill of road and oval events. If building up a dream garage of expensive performance cars is more your thing then Forza Motorsport is the perfect solution to scratch that itch. What about mods? If you love collecting cars and tracks lovingly created by the sim racing community then Assetto Corsa seems to be the current 'go to' choice in today's market. What about recreating a season in the World Touring Car Championship? Well that would be RaceRoom Racing Experience. Or how about day to night transition on a dynamically changing race surface? rFactor 2 is for you. Unfortunately despite some truly outstanding elements across the whole spectrum of sims, not one seems to be able to pull all these things together under a single tidy package.

As with all the sims available at present, and with the one's we know about coming further down the line, sim racing is in a bit of a boom period at the moment. But does that mean we can definitively say we have access to a sim that covers all the bases in terms of what a modern sim racer wants? Probably not.

It has been chronicled and debated many times about the different shortcomings of each and every sim that is available both now and in the past. We've debated about things such as missing "essential" features, to differing physics interpretations, from over complicated and sometimes lacklustre force feedback results all the way to the actual approach to the game design itself. Do we want road cars and massive car collection achievements? Do we want a physics sandbox and let the modders fill in the gaps? Do we want real life championships recreated or do we just want a selection of cars from a specific specification of racing such as the ever popular GT3 class? Many sims have some or all of these areas covered to a greater or lesser degree, but the question is - what do YOU consider to be a complete racing simulation? What do YOU want to be made in order to consider that title YOUR "go to" simulation of choice?

Would something a bit different like the ability to free roam around the paddock and spectator areas of the track add some value to you? Would the ability to play different roles within the team, such as team manager, chief mechanic or race engineer be of interest? Could the inclusion of such things as fully working 3D pit crew be enough to tip the scales in favour of the sim? The list is endless, from improving on what we have already, from joining together several things different sims do right into one package and from thinking totally outside the box and bringing in something brand new to the genre, the potential is literally endless.

I thought it would be fun to give us the opportunity to write down in the comments section exactly what you want to see in order to build the ultimate racing simulation game. Don't hold back on your desires, just pop down into the comments and tell us everything you think a complete racing simulation in 2017 should look like. Please do remember though, this is a theoretical exercise and not an opportunity to start a "my sim is bigger than yours" argument ;)

I know for a fact that many of the sim racing developers read this website and will no doubt be watching the comments in this thread. For those of them that don't, I'll make sure with a gentle push that they do! This is our opportunity dear reader to go out and tell the people who make the games exactly what we want to see in the future! Don't waste this chance, with a bit of luck and a fair wind someone with the power to make the decisions might be listening and take some of what we say on-board....

Ok, over to you!

The Perfect Simulation 2.jpg

Last edited:
You could combine a lot of current games to get there.

Assetto Corsa style driving physics, graphics and moddable in-game HUD
AMS style FFB
Gran Turismo/Forza Motorsport wide variety of cars
rFactor mods number of race tracks
rFactor style Basic setup sliders (These are the greatest feature that I have ever seen in a racing game)
GP4 style animated marshals dealing with broken cars, and also the option to simulate races with a full grid.

Officially licensed F1, WEC, GT3, WTCC/DTM/BTCC/Aussie Supercars, ELMS, GP2, GP3, F3, Formula E etc cars
Lag free stable online racing
AI with actual intelligence
Full weather simulation
Day/Night cycle
Safety Car/VSC/FCY/Code 60
Marshals at the flag posts waving all FIA flags
AN INTELLIGENT PENALTIES SYSTEM

This is obviously an extremely large wishlist, but the ability to choose any car you can think of and any track in the world is pretty much what most people would want, as long as the quality didn't decrease.

A career mode works well, but it mustn't start really restrictive with slow road cars. Not everyone wants to spend ages driving an Alfa Romeo Guilia around Magione, we want to jump straight into a GT3 or F1 race.

But most of all - a large following on Race Department who are willing to try racing anything anywhere with full grids all the time. If someone says Karts around the Nordschleife or F1 cars around Cadwell Park, a large community of people having a laugh doing the ridiculous.

It'll never exist.

I would like to have every car that ever existed modelled to perfection.
With perfection i mean perfect physics, simulating every single aspect of the car. With perfection i mean a perfect 3D model, having each aspect of the car. I also mean damage. Dynamic weather, as close as it can be to real life.
Same with the tracks.

The list could go on and on and on...
It also should be moddable (create own textures).
Have licenses to every racing series that exists or ever existed.
Rallye, Endurance, Motorcycling, Oval racing, everything.

Now i come back to what I've said at first:
It'll never exist.

Bonus: Also beeing playable on cheap hardware :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

From the current games i would like to have a combination of all of them. Combined content, the sound from R3E, the physics from AC + other additonal stuff from different games (Tyre Wear would be better on another game for example). Graphics from Project Cars. Multiplayer system of iRacing (without having to pay though).
etc

There never will be a perfect simulation, but one thing I'd like to see is a Developer take the reigns and create a PC Racing Sim that is all over better in most areas than poor in others.
None of the current crop are currently close, they all have very good areas but in many ways each one lets itself down with bad areas as well. I suppose I'm kinda asking for the "perfect" mix of everything we have already but in one Sim not spread about 5 or 6, yeah I know this will probably never happen either but there's more chance of a Sim becoming Legendary if it harnesses all the other Sims strong points.

For Example:
It's a shame to be wowed in RF2 with the AI & FFB but not have an Officially licensed Race Series with All the Cars & Tracks.
It's a shame to marvel at Assetto Corsas graphics and physics but be let down by the AI.
It's a shame that RRE offers great series & tracks but suffers from too many "little" areas that make it slightly frustrating at times. (in respect I'm still new to RRE so am yet to fully explore this title)
It's a shame that Automobilista offers great cars & tracks but doesn't (yet) have VR support and RF2 level of AI.
It's a shame that iRacing is Online only, I'd love that to have AI.
It's a shame that pCars could've been great but suffers from too many annoying bugs and overemphasis on fancy detailed graphics.
It's a shame that not one of the main ones I drive (top 4 in that list) has yet managed to get at least all levels to a Good Standard and progressed from there, they all have something "Bad" about them to a certain degree.

Having said that I know how tough it must be for the Devs to create these Sims we all love, they do it for love themselves with many having worked from the ground up as Mod Teams before. So I'm not angry or upset at them, my expectations are fairly reserved with them all and I take each one for what it is and what it offers me. I enjoy them all for what they offer and - unlike others - I can just "Get On And Race" without the need to constantly find little flaws and throw a tantrum in their Forums.

But if I was pushed to answer I'd say the "Perfect" Sim would have all the best bits of each of them, but I fear that's still a long way off yet :)

1000% agree "For those of us who enjoy large scale online racing careers with professional broadcasting, real world drivers and a complicated rating system to help encourage clean racing, then you can join up to one of the many iRacing events and have your fill of road and oval events. If building up a dream garage of expensive performance cars is more your thing then Forza Motorsport is the perfect solution to scratch that itch. What about mods? If you love collecting cars and tracks lovingly created by the sim racing community then Assetto Corsa seems to be the current 'go to' choice in today's market. What about recreating a season in the World Touring Car Championship? Well that would be RaceRoom Racing Experience. Or how about day to night transition on a dynamically changing race surface? rFactor 2 is for you. Unfortunately despite some truly outstanding elements across the whole spectrum of sims, not one seems to be able to pull all these things together under a single tidy package."

or just mix Iracing+RF2=best sim

• variety of tracks (with different/historical layouts if available), not the usual bog-standard ones.
  • licensed series, not AC bullcrap of one car from that era, one from that
  • weather, day-night cycles
  • proper damage model
  • free configuration of race weekends
  • AI which actually is intelligent
  • proper online functionality
  • moddable if no further content is provided via DLC, else at least own liveries for league racing
  • the usual stuff, i.e. FFB, physics, graphics

so everybody got one chance? Okay, i want to use my Phone-Joker.

...ring, ring, ring.... aha, ah, okay, yes, yes...

okay, here we go : the perfect sim for me has a 110% money back guarantee
(i hope you understood the deeper meaning ;))

Quite easy: a sim that combines all strong points from all sims. The physics, features, customizability and FFB of rF2, the sound of RRE, the graphics of PCars, the online system of iRacing combined with all the content we've got in past and recent sims, from Karts to Oval Racing and the moddablitiy of AC/AMS and rF1/rF2. Completely dynamic weather with seasons and accordingly changing surfaces, and a great career mode combined from Racedriver GRID and rF1.

On a more realistic note regarding content: a WSC 1970 game with all cars and tracks would be epic. :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back