What Videocard Should I Buy?

Unless you are absolutely desperate to buy now I would hold off till next year as all the current cards will likely be updated\replaced with a shiny new PCIe Rev 3.0 interface version. You won't have a PCIe 3.0 mobo now but if you wait and get a PCIe 3.0 vid card when you come to update the mobo later the vid card will be ready to take advantage of it.

I was all set to buy GTX580 or 69xx before Xmas but I'm now waiting.

Unless you are absolutely desperate to buy now I would hold off till next year as all the current cards will likely be updated\replaced with a shiny new PCIe Rev 3.0 interface version. You won't have a PCIe 3.0 mobo now but if you wait and get a PCIe 3.0 vid card when you come to update the mobo later the vid card will be ready to take advantage of it.

I was all set to buy GTX580 or 69xx before Xmas but I'm now waiting.

There are a lot of issues with this.

1. You'll have to buy a new motherboard to even support it, and I'm doubting many will for a while. If they do I can see it costing more.
2. No cards even get near the bandwidth limits of PCIE rev 2 16x at the moment.
3. There may be a small chance that a PCIE rev 3 card wont work in the other slots. Unlikely but it could happen.

Buy a card now if you want one. There will be some new ones next year from Nvidia - around the end of Q1 I believe. I'd just grab a cheap GTX 470 right now and be done with it. They are cheap enough and can run anything maxed. There's no point in saying that you'll wait for something else as you'll be waiting forever.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%