What track/car to focus on at the start

So as a complete beginner, for the most part, all I see in online public lobbies is Nordschleife and Drifting maps, neither of which are very beginner friendly especially when said beginner is trying to learn the car/h-shifter/racing lines at the same time trying not to spin out and not hit anyone.

My question is, what map and cars do I focus on if racing with others is the end goal?

All of them

No, but in all honesty, the Mazda Miata cup car at Brand's Hatch is a great place to start as a beginner. An "easy" track to learn, but difficult track to master. The mazda is the perfect car for a beginner and will teach you how to use the H-pattern. Online public lobbies aren't the best in my opinion and we offer a bunch of club racing events aimed at including racers of all skills

Be sure to check out the club racing forums found here >
https://www.racedepartment.com/forums/assetto-corsa-racing-club.171/

Sign up for an event, and chat with the fellas. We'll be more than happy to help you out!

I learned how to use all 3 pedals plus an H-gate shifter with the KTM X-Bow around Imola. I found it had enough power to teach me to respect the throttle pedal, 6 gears so I got plenty of practice up and down the gearbox, it understeers, it oversteers and the track has a little bit of everything too.

It is still one of my favourite combinations today :)

I learned how to use all 3 pedals plus an H-gate shifter with the KTM X-Bow around Imola. I found it had enough power to teach me to respect the throttle pedal, 6 gears so I got plenty of practice up and down the gearbox, it understeers, it oversteers and the track has a little bit of everything too.

It is still one of my favourite combinations today :)
I was gonna say the same thing.
Ha

Depends which sort of cars you plan to drive I guess.

Good luck with your end goal, most servers are just practice sessions or bizarre car mixtures with 2 hours practice for a 5 lap race :p

It pains me to say it as I'm not a massive fan but SRS might be your best bet.

So as a complete beginner, for the most part, all I see in online public lobbies is Nordschleife and Drifting maps, neither of which are very beginner friendly especially when said beginner is trying to learn the car/h-shifter/racing lines at the same time trying not to spin out and not hit anyone.

My question is, what map and cars do I focus on if racing with others is the end goal?
Personal opinion: if you are a total beginner then choose a short track (so you can learn it quickly and focus on the driving instead) and a friendly car (so you don't get mad at it). For the tracks: Silverstone National, Brands Hatch Indy, Vallelunga Club.. Cars: the Maxda MX5 Cup is fast and friendly, also the Formula Abarth. When you feel at home with those, try more powerful cars on those tracks, then you can move to bigger tracks, starting with the "long" versions of those three.
You can get a reference for fast times on those combos by using this website (and app): http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/
(don't get scared by the "alien" lap times, when racing most times you won't need to be that fast)

Another piece of advice: if I have to prepare for a multiplayer race, be it for a league or something else, I do 3 complete race weekends against the AI on those track/car combos before the actual mp race. Practice, Qualify, Race, using same qualy and race duration as the actual mp race, AI at 100%. Not all three races together, possibly spread across a week. First one to learn the ropes, second one to become competitive, third one for the last improvements and general consistency. It may sound like a lot of work but it's a fun way to prepare for a race instead of hotlapping all alone and it will bring you the necessary confidence come race day.

As advised by others, SRS (simracingsystem.com) is a good and free platform for multiplayer in AC.

Last edited:

GT3 is the most used class in online races here at RD, and in games like Project Cars 2 too... About tracks, every track is important, learn all of them.

Use traction control and abs at first.

I started simracing watching pole laps onboard videos to understand the racing line.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 340 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 8.0%
  • < 5 years