What to buy to get into Sim Racing

First, I'm still very new to all this, I apologize in advanced if I'm breaking some code of conduct as to where to post. I may not have read the Terms of Service properly. If these type of posts do not belong on this subforum, or on Racedepartment at all, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Again, sorry if this is an unorthodox post or doesn't belong on this forum. Apologies in advance for reading this.

Well, I was recommended to this forum by a member on my main forum, Overclock.net.
I'm interested in playing racing games again, and transitioning from arcade to simulation. I want a proper starter setup for arcade style: Grid, TDU 1/2, F1 2011 and Simulation racing: Race07/GTR Evolution, rFactor 2 (a bit afterwards, maybe in Beta, will purchase a years subscription) and iRacing when the time comes and I'm a bit better and more accustomed to all this, and don't suck.

Budget: up to $700

Parts to think of:
I was talking to said member, who is extremely helpful and prominent on my computing forum, and we went over a list of possible options for wheels. After much debate and reading and advising, I've decided on the time tested Logitech g27. For the pedals, I'm picking up the Fanatec CSRe, rather than waiting for the v2 of the CSP. Keeping stock shifter from the g27.

Thoughts on Fanatec: I like to think of fanatec now (as opposed to mid 2010 - early 2011) as an IF company. They're components are of Ultra high quality, and they only work on wheels. Their prices are also very affordable. But they seem to be overpressured often, and heres the if, IF I get a lemon for whatever reason, I have to ship all the way back to Germany, wait for however long the company takes (and even to this day, from seeing such sites as 911wheel.de to gtplanet.com to SRT's forum) can be awhile before I get my wheel back, and this is assuming there are no problems a second time around. I rather not have this chance happen. Logitech, problem with wheel, they respond and ship back very quickly, good warranty option too. For Fanatec I was thinking of just getting the CSRe Pedals which have less chance of having problems, most rectifiable with little hassle. Their pedals are top notch and don't cost much for the amount they deliver. The wheels worry me though. I was interested in the GTR3 v2 Elites package.

Thoughts on Thrustmaster: No doubt is the t500rs an amazing wheel. But, A) the T8rs cost $150, B) weighs a ton C) has no load cell. I like to think of their current revision (I'm guessin v1) of the t500rs as a WHEN wheel, to take from an amazon review I read (though this could be garbage). When as in, most of their component selection is top notch, their build quality and QC apparently is appalling. It is a matter of time before it breaks down and one must ship the wheel to FRANCE. Not sure if I want that hassle. Again I don't want to believe everything I read, but I did read this and it has put me down to not want that.

Thoughts on higher end companies like ECCI: Hahahahaha, can't afford that kind of setup.

Next we have the cockpit or stand dilemma. I read a Tweaktown review of a cockpit (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4158/gt_omega_racing_simulator_review/index8.html)

Now, here the reviewer stated that going from Couch Racing to cockpit racing was a great and welcome change. The reviewer specified the angle of the pedals. Now, it will take some convincing for my parents ( I am a commuter college kid who doesn't rent an apartment yet) to let me take up more of their living room space with a large and immobile cockpit that also costs $350+

But for $150, I can get the GT Omega Wheel stand with a right shifter arm, and later get their keyboard and mouse arms when they release (an email from them said it will release soon for the stand). Now that sounds like a sweet deal, considering only Gamepod and Fanatec sell Wheel stands aside from their cockpits, and Playseat and Rseat sell only cockpits. GT Omega gives the price of the Rennsport stand with the utilities of the Gamepod GT1, and seeing as I don't need to pay $20 for a beverage holder , the GT1 is pricy for upgraded materials, but at what cost.

Most importantly the GT Omega Wheel Stand comes with adjustable pedal plate mount. Woo, perfect for my arm chair / office chair racing.

Do you guys think it is worth getting a wheel stand over a cockpit? or is the experience just that much more true to life with the cockpit vs with a wheel stand?

Clarifications about what Ill be using: Gaming computer (i7 930, 6970 crossfire) with a true 120hz 1080p Led TV. I may at a later date get 3x, though I've used eyefinity before for FPS, not a big fan. I've got a fantastic eIPS panel (u2311h) to use with 3x, but this is years from now.

Finally, There's the question of the Buttkicker series. There was a post on here about them, and how they enhance the gaming experience.

So it really boils down to:
- Logitech G27 = $220
- Fanatec CSR-Elite Pedals (no inversion kit): $150
- GT Omega Wheel Stand Pre-order with Right arm mount for shifter: $160
- Buttkicker Simulation kit: $180

Is that a good setup?

Novice settings what are those? lol! just kidding.

When I first made the transition from GT5 to GTR Evo I kept the assists off on Evo and just made myself learn the different driving physics.

When I used to play GT5 I drove mostly on Sport Hards because Racing Tires made driving feel way too arcadish but when I made the move over to pc sim I was thinking "No problems, I'll get the hang of Evo in no time"

Lmao! man I was so wrong on that. Evo was much harder to drive at the start without assists but I stuck it and now after almost two years of Race/Evo I've got it down.
I still have not found the "Perfect" wheel setting, I fiddle around with 540, 720 and 900 degrees and steering lock 13 to 20 depending on the degree of rotation.

Is there even such a thing as a "Ideal" overall wheel setting? I myself don't think there is.

Wow Spyker hitting Porto already, awesome!

Upvote 0
Fusion Racing did!

Yeah, I've now shifted to all assists off, though still on sequential. Shifted from Porto for a while to err. whats the name.. 2007 track, kinda wind-y, err starts with a V I think. Fastest time without assists: 2:09 (1.7mi I believe). Done with a GT Club car, z4 gtr. So much fun.

Well my CSR-Es came in. Initial calibration probelm, pedals wouldn't register, then had to reset the usb, bam works. Except... nope... more problems. TDU doesn't register the seperate pedals. Googled it around, no hope. Some dude asked about using his Cannon CST pedals from 2010, no replies in that thread. I really enjoyed TDU, good FFB, and open world for when I get bored of racing sims. Previously, I'd logged in 70 hours into TDU years prior, and I was getting back to it, 15 hours in. Disappointed. TDU2 is such a big dissappointment too. I don't know why, I just hate it. FFB no matter what settings I tinker with, are terrible. Cars are awful, just awful.

And to top it all off, I thought my g27 was broken or damaged for awhile. The ffb became significantly weaker. Turns out, ffb declines at 900* on GTR Evo. I changed to 215, bam, same strength again. I don't know why.

Love the pedals, Fanatec did a great job. Didn't make me faster though, didn't expect them too though. Load cell is pretty bombtastic, the customizability is INSANE! Great pedals.

I still haven't overtaken the quick car in LFS, not the gold, dirt/rally car, or bmw formula. Man I suck at that game. I can't get anything higher than OKs (1 pro on accel, 1 quick on brake).

But this is kickass. It has literally jump started my gaming life ! Can't thank you guys enough.

Now if only I could figure out why Test Drive Unlimited doesn't work with my pedals :[

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back