What Object Do You Want The Most For Your Track

B

Biggles1212

• Biggles1212

Hi fellow BTB users. :)

KSLM and I have been discussing making a book for you all.

After making the tutorial for importing your objects into BTB, I thought I could take it further and use specific models and make a step by step how to from using google sketchup, setting it up and actual model building to getting all the textures right, then importing it into BTB and using it in the game. I've made houses, control towers, bridges, trains, stations, garages, grand stands and a number of banners and fences.

The trains and tracks, fences and town housing are in sobject formats.

I've not worked out the lights story exactly but will get to it ASAP. I need help there myself.:question:

What would you like to learn to do the most? It does not have to necessarily be something I've already done.

:fwd:

Biggles

• Alex Ramsey

My latest track could really use a nice and easy way to make physical garages for each team (2 cars each). I need a way to get them lined up all straight and in a nice long row.

Using the rotate tool is difficult in BTB because when you select the move tool, the object always rotates a little bit in a direction you don't want.

That is pretty much it for me besides more grandstand/building options. I honestly don't have the time to create my own objects, but I suppose if I wanted them to be original objects, it might be nice to know in the long run.

• Biggles1212

Hi Alex, I've found a neat way to build garages using sobjects. basically you build one end of each garage and the middle of each garage, then you use the first end as the start object, the middle and one wall for the middle and the last end as the end sobject part.

Is that about where you're heading?

Biggles

Ideas for RBR (low poly models) :) :
- spectator cars, police cars, amublances, rally cars...
- bushes
- Textures to put on walls like skid marks, mud marks, leaves to make stages more realistics!
- Xpack with skies ( 3D object)

• Biggles1212

@ Alex Ramsey: I've uploaded a quick concept garages for you to test, it can be easily improved, but it's a sobject and I'd like you to try it. Because it's a sobject you can align it to your track and by manipulating the points on the sobject it will change. Nice thing is that it falls on a spline so it gradually changes shape. You can follow any curve but remember if it gets too tight the garages which deform too much. With this sobject just draw as many garages as you like. Please give feed back after you've tested it.

@ Erwin Greven: Those are certainly most doable in sketchup. The bridge is actually not to hard if you use photomatch in sketchup, but if you only have one photo it will take a bit of imagination to make it 3d.

@ Gegewrc: I think a lot of the rally tracks lack some "eye candy" and those are great ideas. If we could get people around the world to contribute it would be much more fun. I live in South Africa and we have 11 different climate zones and they all get raced in. One weekend it's just dust, then it's just mud.

• Alex Ramsey

@Biggles1212

I have put the garage into my current wip and after a bit of adjustment, it lined up perfectly.

I do believe it will work fine in game, but I have not tried as I do not have time.

Props to you for your work and I may actually use this in my final truck.

garages.jpg

withdialog.jpg

sample objects

Hi fellow BTB users. :)

KSLM and I have been discussing making a book for you all.

After making the tutorial for importing your objects into BTB, I thought I could take it further and use specific models and make a step by step how to from using google sketchup, setting it up and actual model building to getting all the textures right, then importing it into BTB and using it in the game. I've made houses, control towers, bridges, trains, stations, garages, grand stands and a number of banners and fences.

The trains and tracks, fences and town housing are in sobject formats.

I've not worked out the lights story exactly but will get to it ASAP. I need help there myself.:question:

What would you like to learn to do the most? It does not have to necessarily be something I've already done.

:fwd:

Biggles

There is a sample pic I uploaded in an earlier thread by Biggles, `SketchUp to BTB` http://forum.racedepartment.com/bob...full-tutorial-objects-for-btb-sketchup-2.html..... there are more to come, including the ones he mentions here, for a future xpack.

kslm\Biggles

Concept.Track.Creation.
(find us on Facebook)

race track official vehicles. tow-trucks,ambulances,cranes,pit scooters:).

lights need three objects. the post,the lamp and then the all important omni lighting(which requires 3dmax or other)

• Biggles1212

@ ThreeDays: I use rFactor and when I pit, these friendly chaps appear. The pitcrew could be "replaced" as it were, so long as they dissapear later on.

• Biggles1212

@ Festa and Peter: Thanks, with each answer I get a better idea of whats needed

My main aim is to get everyone making and contributing. It is possible to get quite a lot off the google 3D warehouse and use, but there are some things that are just specific to a race track that are not really there.

I'm going to get going on the tuts soon and will cover a range of how to's so that people can build their own stuff. For a while now I've been making my own things and really enjoy it too.

C.T.C.`s overview

What we would like to do is start making the objects that show up at basically every track that would be made, but in varying forms and textures, for more variey. We could make specific buildings for a particular track, but that would take more time to gather the textures\photos together, hoping we get the demensions spot on. But, if you have a dozen choices for one pit\trackside object, customizing your tracks will be much more fun. All suggestions and ideas are welcome, so we can have more options for everyone in the xpacks.

Anyone wanting help C.T.C. with this, either building objects, gathering textures, creating graphics or helping organize everything into xpacks should pm me, or biggles. We will be building tracks as well, real world and fantasy, so if you`re interested in that, and are experienced with Photoshop, SketchUp, BTB(
obviously), SimEd, ISI`s tools and maybe Max8\9 direct us to some of your work. We will be making tracks for the variety of sims BTB supports in the future, but right now we are focused on rFactor.

You can find us on Facebook right now, http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?rb3634f92&id=53819542495&refid=46 with some photos of tracks we hope to build, many of which are now gone and of historic significance.

We now have a RD social club page as well- http://forum.racedepartment.com/groups/c-t-c-concept-track-creation.html

kslm
C.T.C.
Concept.Track.Creation.

So far i`ve made some objects for my track, as well as use xpacks froms here.

Off the top of my head, i`ve made my own 3d armco (bit of a loading killer lol), tire walls, marshall shed, start lights (unfinshed) and safety fence.

If/when i finish my track, i planned on sharing the xpack with my stuff in if anybody could use them....just not got that far yet :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%