What kind of view do you use?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Yesterday i started experimenting in a new view (for me) for racing sims, in. First thing is i did was to remove the wheel and use another FOV to create a more of a feeling of being inside the cockpit.

I settled with a FOV of 0.6 and played with the seat so the HUD sat above my physical wheel. Im only on a relatively small single monitor, so i understand the official FOV calculation may be incorrect. But to me its seemed pretty good and immersive.

Was wondering how many of you take off the wheel and zoom in so to speak? with either triples or single displays?

Im still undecided whether to stick with this however i may find it hard to go back to a full (simcade) view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV0_u0r-Hk&fmt=37

Last edited:
I'm using a single 42" LCD TV, cockpit view and no visible wheel. My FOV is normally 0.8 and then I adjust the seat position on a per car basis (can we save this setting per car?).

As I game in my living room I'm sat further away from the display compared to most of you. I've never measured the distance but it must about 7ft, which isn't ideal but it is what is. I don't have the space or the money for a dedicated race seat with a display close behind the wheel.

I should really try the FOV calculation as I'm intrigued as to what it would be at that distance.

Also, will R3E show the FOV value as an angle rather than a factor in future?

just did a complete race using the eye and facetrack noir

one word

quality!!!

I could never go back to a normal view. It was like I was In the car looking actually at the mirrors, yes it does make the game harder but ive reset my adaptive ai. Seriously u live in Uk check your local cex for a ps3 eyc cam, mine was 4£,

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPSEYEE001#.VLKZpu-zWUk

download the above software, set your FOV to nearer and get rid of the wheel. You will not regret it especially for 4 bloody quid lol

answer to the above, the eye (set in a specific mode in Facetracknoir) can track your facial features. So no need for leds stuck to a hat, although that's another route if you would like to go. It does take some messing with the curves (deadzones movement speed etc), and at night u need good lighting. (something im working on)

I have a good start setup for anyone interested.

Then it's worth a try, I can get the PS3 Eye in the US for $8 (Amazon), I just don't want to be tethered to anything. I did try TrackIR which was very accurate but I returned it as I didn't think it was worth $140.

I realize any webcam will work but I have heard good things of the PS3 Eye and it's very cheap.

No if you get the right light settings its perfect. Its all about the light and both side your face are equally lit.

For example im having trouble at nite, in my conservatory (main lights not bright enough). So i put a lamp to the left of me (only space available). It works when i turn left but when i look right, my face looses brightness and the connection goes.

So im looking at getting 2 led lights either side of my desk, to illuminate my face. My problem is where to put them where they arent directly at my eyes or at the cam.

But once you get this working, you cant go back.!!! It just adds so much immersion.

Hmm.....I had the same lighting issue with my webcam. I do most of my gaming in the evening and don't have a light near my seating position. Seems like building an LED cap/clip is the better route to go.

Last edited:
PS3 eye is a good option as its incredibly cheap cam with high res and 60fps capability - read somewhere as well that the FacetracknoIR devs are working on a solution to use the PS3 eye's 120fps mode.

I use mainly for Flight sims such as DCS, IL2 and Elite Dangerous, and it completely changes the game. For racing after a while you look to the apex and mirrors like you would in real life and feels very natural once you dial those settings in.

FacetrackNoIR also has the capability to use TrackIR LED tracking and you can make your own version of TrackIR headset for as little as £20 - there is also a Delan Clip that is available on ebay ready made and of quite a high standard for £22 that I have heard good reviews of if you do not have the skills/bits to fabricate your self one.

Last edited:
I keep meaning to get the parts ordered and make a cap for head tracking. Seems quite straightforward and very cheap. I think you have to do a slight modification to the PS Eye too (switch out the filter).

I have a Pseye Cam, but could never make the tracking software to work properly. Everything would be off centre and moving around for no reason. After spending a couple of hours trying to make it work i gave up. Maybe a led light on a cap/hat might work ( i do have pretty bad lighting in my computers room )

I have a Pseye Cam, but could never make the tracking software to work properly. Everything would be off centre and moving around for no reason. After spending a couple of hours trying to make it work i gave up. Maybe a led light on a cap/hat might work ( i do have pretty bad lighting in my computers room )
Worth a try for the sake of a small outlay. The difference between face tracking and proper three point IR tracking is supposedly night and day.

my brother (mav360) has just purchased the delan clip, so ill get his judgement first. Im not sure if i want to spend 20£ on something that looks a bit DIY tbh.

As i said i started playing again last nite back to normal (non face tracking) and did i really miss the experience..... no not really. :( Maybe i bigged up the original experience.?! lol

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 87 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.4%
  • < 5 years