What kind of view do you use?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Yesterday i started experimenting in a new view (for me) for racing sims, in. First thing is i did was to remove the wheel and use another FOV to create a more of a feeling of being inside the cockpit.

I settled with a FOV of 0.6 and played with the seat so the HUD sat above my physical wheel. Im only on a relatively small single monitor, so i understand the official FOV calculation may be incorrect. But to me its seemed pretty good and immersive.

Was wondering how many of you take off the wheel and zoom in so to speak? with either triples or single displays?

Im still undecided whether to stick with this however i may find it hard to go back to a full (simcade) view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV0_u0r-Hk&fmt=37

Last edited:
If I hurry up and become a premium member can my video stay here since it's relevant to the discussion?
You can upload them here, embed the video and then grab and post the embed code when you click the share button (that little mouse icon right next under your video)
Untitled-2.jpg

Thouse tv screens seem to have nice and small bezels as well.

Not really, they're about an inch each side. But I overlap the side screens in front of the center screen so I only see one bezel on each side.

I do find having a nice, close FOV really adds to the immsersion, as well as removing the wheel/hands. I spent years in Gran Turismo where the FOV was rubbish, coming to PC games and getting a proper FOV completely changed the experience for me and I spend a lot of time tinkering with each car to get it just right. I do lose a bit of visibility out of the side screens (can't see the passenger window or side mirror because R3E seems to skew the images on the side screens) but the feeling of actually being in a car more than makes up for it.

I have triple 32" and I use a close FOV with no wheel or hands, it creates such an incredible sense of immersion. I'm always tinkering with seating positions for different cars, but they are all close up so I only see part of the dash and my side view mirror is about where it would be in a real car. I find that using a FOV of .9 and then scooting the seat about 75% forward gives the best view for my tastes, with a lower FOV I can't see as much out the passenger side and it kind of skews the side screens.

Here's what it looks like.

View attachment 77577
I`m jealous :D> What are your system specs?

Ummm, let me think............i5 4690, 16gb RAM, GTX 970, MSI MoBo, last week upgraded to a T300 RS wheel, CSR Elite Pedals. Since the TV's are only 720p/60hz I can pretty much crank the settings to near max on all games, even with a full grid of cars on triple screens. :thumbsup:

In my opinion there is no magic formula to set the FOV; reduce the FOV value and if you're not comfortable increase it a little bit. On my 27in monitor I've found that the vertical FOV@35 or horizontal FOV@60 is a good compromise. But it's just a matter of taste.

i7 4690, GTX 760 (plugged directly to my modem/router - excellent internet connection)
TX wheel with GTE rim, Club Sport V2 pedlas, TH8RS shifter on triple 1080p 39" TV's.

I run R3E on single but iRacing on triples. When I do run R3E on triples I use a .9 FOV and fiddle with the seat position . The buttons are mapped to my arrow keys for ease of use.

Two outer tv's are mounted to speaker tripods. Wheel mounted to a GT Omega wheel stand. I just picked up the GT Omega wheel mount which slides into the wheel stand for some stability but now I need to figure out what seat I want to use. I had been using a gaming seat which has built in speakers and a sub woofer. I use headphones (Logitech G930's) but I don't want to give up the seat. When I do use the speakers the sound/feel is insane. I should make a video.

@Brandon - Thrustmaster shifter is all you need IMO. Should tell your lady it's what you want for your next gift.;)

As a matter of fact. I'd love to get a second so I can keep one in each mode - sequential/H pattern. LOL Overkill.

I do really miss my little sequential shifter I had on my Fanatac, but I'm waiting for the CSS SQ to be available. Well that's the plan, I'm missing my shifter badly enough that I've been looking at the TH8's....................I just hate how fiddly it is to switch between hgate and sequential. Cheaper than the CSS SQ though.

I do really miss my little sequential shifter I had on my Fanatac, but I'm waiting for the CSS SQ to be available. Well that's the plan, I'm missing my shifter badly enough that I've been looking at the TH8's....................I just hate how fiddly it is to switch between hgate and sequential. Cheaper than the CSS SQ though.

It's not fiddly at all. Takes all of a minute. Unscrew the shift knob, take out for allen screws (keep the allen key nearby), then swap out the the plate and reverse the order. What's cool is that you can swap out the shift knob with many aftermarket knobs. For the price I think that it is well worth it. It sure gets plenty of use in my rig. You can also dial in some resistance with a set screw that is on the side. highly recommend.

It's not fiddly at all. Takes all of a minute. Unscrew the shift knob, take out for allen screws (keep the allen key nearby), then swap out the the plate and reverse the order. What's cool is that you can swap out the shift knob with many aftermarket knobs. For the price I think that it is well worth it. It sure gets plenty of use in my rig. You can also dial in some resistance with a set screw that is on the side. highly recommend.

Compared to flipping a switch on the CSS SQ, that's fiddly. :p But not too bad, and I'd mainly use the sequential so it wouldn't be a big deal. Does it click when you shift? That's the one thing I wouldn't like about the CSS.

Bonnet view here (assuming that means directly over the hood), on a 46" TV. Cockpit view looks cool and all, but is too restrictive for my tastes. Guess it just depends on your own personal preferences. None of the views detract from a sense of realism/immersion imo. As long as you're racing and having fun doing it, thats all that matters. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back