What kind of view do you use?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Yesterday i started experimenting in a new view (for me) for racing sims, in. First thing is i did was to remove the wheel and use another FOV to create a more of a feeling of being inside the cockpit.

I settled with a FOV of 0.6 and played with the seat so the HUD sat above my physical wheel. Im only on a relatively small single monitor, so i understand the official FOV calculation may be incorrect. But to me its seemed pretty good and immersive.

Was wondering how many of you take off the wheel and zoom in so to speak? with either triples or single displays?

Im still undecided whether to stick with this however i may find it hard to go back to a full (simcade) view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV0_u0r-Hk&fmt=37

Last edited:
You`ve put "no triples" twice :whistling:. Also it looks a bit confusing. I think it should simply be something like: How many screens do you run?
a) One
b) Three
I only have a single, 24" monitor at the moment. I can`t afford to upgrade my PC to run triple screens, as I only run a GTX 760 card. So it`ll be a big TV (37") and Trackir, followed by a racing seat :thumbsup:
Also - and I know this is herecy - I only use bonnet cam, not the cockpit view, as it`s too restrictive and changing the FOV looks odd.

Last edited:
when i always look at others who use these weird FOVs (no wheel) i always thought they look odd i could never use it. But i was surprised how much more you feel in the cockpit.

Okay you lose a lot of peripheral vision, and suppose a sense of speed. But immersion is worth it imo.

Your poll question asks " Do you run no visual wheel and zoomed FOV" but your poll answers have no answers that match the question mate? Confusing.

But as to the fov, if you use a dcresed fov like you are doing, that is fine with triple monitors but not as good with one single monitor.

I prefer to see the wheel on screen (the very top half of it) so I can match wheel rotation. It does not bother me to see wheel or hands. I sue a 34" LG 21:9 monitor that is lovely and wide because I dont want to run triple screens as I use my PC for many tasks and lots of different games too including flight sims and FP shooters and strategy games.

Always cockpit view too for me. Any other view would make me think I was arcade racing on a console. ;)

found this post as well by kjell..

So, I went about to test the mentioned fix, setting the right FOV in the cockpit camera file, and bar that it works I can also confirm that it seems to use the same FOV setting that AC and rF2 does.
Using the calculator I should be using a FOV of ~28, and it seems correct when I test. I usually run a bit higher FOV though just to gain a bit of extra side to side vision, makes it easier to drive around other cars without triple monitors.
But... I really cba changing the FOV for each car individually, that's just too much of a hassle, so instead I quickly made this table to see what multiplier to use ingame to come close to the setting I want;
View attachment 64942

I hope it can be of use for someone else as well, just use the calc mentioned earlier;
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php?m=1
find your FOV and set your multiplier ingame to something close to it.
Getting the right FOV is not a matter of +/- 1°, you can easily go a few degrees off the optimal FOV and keep most if not all of the sense of scale and speed. Heck, if you sit back when you calculate but then sit up during the race you will have changed the calculation slightly hehe.

Single screen 42" TV, but as I'm seated @1.2m of the screen my Fov is narrow.
I use 0.5 or 0.6 with the seatview almost at the windshield

I do miss a little to be able to see on the sides, my the driving is much more enjoyable. So I take care and I watch left/right with buttons on the wheel.

I use a FOV @ 0.6 but don't move the seat. So it's a little bit weird when you drive the RUF (the seat is very close to the windshield) and then drive the Honda Civic for instance (the seat is far from the windshield) because of the seat position. Don't know if, in real, you are so close to the windshield in the RUF? (I don't own one :rolleyes:).

I use a FOV @ 0.6 but don't move the seat. So it's a little bit weird when you drive the RUF (the seat is very close to the windshield) and then drive the Honda Civic for instance (the seat is far from the windshield) because of the seat position. Don't know if, in real, you are so close to the windshield in the RUF? (I don't own one :rolleyes:).
it was actually one of your orginal posts about FOV that inspired me on a single screen. I have the view on 0.6 then i adjust the seat so the HUD is just above my physical wheel.

Last edited:
I have triple 32" and I use a close FOV with no wheel or hands, it creates such an incredible sense of immersion. I'm always tinkering with seating positions for different cars, but they are all close up so I only see part of the dash and my side view mirror is about where it would be in a real car. I find that using a FOV of .9 and then scooting the seat about 75% forward gives the best view for my tastes, with a lower FOV I can't see as much out the passenger side and it kind of skews the side screens.

Here's what it looks like.

Screen shot 2015-01-09 at 7.23.05 AM.png

looks amazing brandon..

I havent the room or spare cash for a setup like this so, im stuck with a single monitor for now. besides im not sure my eyesight could take that much visual domination lol.

I have triple 32" and I use a close FOV with no wheel or hands, it creates such an incredible sense of immersion. I'm always tinkering with seating positions for different cars, but they are all close up so I only see part of the dash and my side view mirror is about where it would be in a real car. I find that using a FOV of .9 and then scooting the seat about 75% forward gives the best view for my tastes, with a lower FOV I can't see as much out the passenger side and it kind of skews the side screens.

Here's what it looks like.

View attachment 77577
Is that 32" tv's or monitors?

Great video mate, why would posting videos be frowned on here, its not as thou they host them here, or cost them any of there bandwidth ? or am i wrong.

I don't know, I've just seen many posts where the video was removed and the mod scolded the poster for not putting it in the video thread. I guess they don't want threads cluttered with lots of vids and pics.

Is that 32" tv's or monitors?

TV's, so they're not as good as monitors but they were hella cheap. I used to have 23" monitors but one broke so I decided to upsize.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 129 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 14.0%