What is your FOV on single screen?

I use 54 degrees on a 19in 5:4 monitor with eyes 22in from screen. The calculator says I should be at 30 degrees but 54 is the lowest i feel comfortable with.

Edit: After thinking about it, I decided to lower my fov again from 54 to 44deg to get closer to my calculated correct of 30deg. It took a few laps to get used to but it made me faster just like before when I lowered it. I just ran a personal best 2:09.415 in the Blancpain Porsche 911 at Bathurst which is almost 2 seconds faster than last night when I was using the 54deg fov.

I might could go to 40deg on this tiny and narrow monitor but any further and it cuts out so much peripheral vision, I can't see the apex of sharp turns. Luckily Santa is bringing me a Asus MX279H widescreen IPS monitor.

Last edited:
I use 54 degrees on a 19in 5:4 monitor with eyes 22in from screen. The calculator says I should be at 30 degrees but 54 is the lowest i feel comfortable with.

Edit: After thinking about it, I decided to lower my fov again from 54 to 44deg to get closer to my calculated correct of 30deg. It took a few laps to get used to but it made me faster just like before when I lowered it. I just ran a personal best 2:09.415 in the Blancpain Porsche 911 at Bathurst which is almost 2 seconds faster than last night when I was using the 54deg fov.

I might could go to 40deg on this tiny and narrow monitor but any further and it cuts out so much peripheral vision, I can't see the apex of sharp turns. Luckily Santa is bringing me a Asus MX279H widescreen IPS monitor.

I'm using 19in & 22in from screen set at 42, only worked this FOV thing last week makes a big difference to my driving. Can't believe I was so wrong for all these years :rolleyes:

hhmm not for me its like looking through a letterbox on your screen, With one screen you have not much peripheral visions as it is this just reduces it more. When i driv emy car i can see these things in my vision. i cant see how this makes it more realistic.. If anything looks like a old 90s game.

Compared to that video, mine is no where near as far as the one on right and the one on the left looks like your sitting with your chin on the wheel lol

@Msportdan
We must distinguish between peripheral vision and central vision.
For you it is not realistic for others and for me it is.
For me and for most people obviously the graphics do not look like a game of the nineties.
I played a lot in those days and now I don´t see Toca or Colin McRae graphics on my screen.
To my high FOV is like watching an old video of skateboard with a fisheye lens. Unrealistic.
With a high fov any underpowered car seems that devours straights, like the Flash. IRL long straights can be very boring but rather have enough power at your service.
By the way you can map and look left look right on your wheel to see what you've missed with low FOV or use TrackIR or triples.
Our brains fill gaps a game may have or a bad setup of it. You can fool the brain easily.
I can´t see the end of the hood of my car but my brain with practice and some touched bumpers can fill that which I don´t see.
Greetings.

Before I got triples...

On a 23" monitor I started at just a little lower than default - maybe 55 or 60 degrees, or something. I brought it down to around 30 or so and I thought it was ridiculous, I couldn't drive! I did see the potential in it though especially with regards to the realism improvement in terms of up/downhill steepness, object size, longitudinal distance "squishening", etc. So I came up with a plan. Over a 3 or so month period I slowly brought it down 2-3 degrees at a time while making sure to always match my previous best laptimes with the new FOV. Then, I would use that new FOV for a few days with different cars/tracks, while making sure to match previous best laptimes a few more times. Then I would just keep repeating that process.

I kept on with the process until I eventually settled at 30 degrees. I forced myself to use 28 for the last bit before moving up to triple 24" monitors, but I feel 30 was the max, 28 was the point where even weeks later the limited peripheral view would bother me, however 30 was just fine, but seemed like the limit.

I would assume that most people should at least be able to achieve 35 degrees using my method, if not 30.

Also, make sure you use that same FOV for all games, and for all cars, no matter what. The world doesn't change from car to car and it just screws up the whole process even more if you're using "x" FOV for open wheelers, but "y" FOV for GT cars. The world doesn't change when you jump in a different car, you're just making things more disorienting for yourself by doing this.

Videos:
When I record me playing in order to upload, I raise my FOV so that people can see more. I therefore use a FOV of 45 (was a battle between 50 and 45) for videos, and I also move the seat way further back instead of a realistic spot so that you get even more peripheral vision and you seem more of the arms in order to get a more cinematic/television look to it, but obviously not realistic or technically correct.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 514 39.0%