What is your favorite type of racing?

Two wheeled all the way for me. MGP, WSB, BSB, IOM etc. Hate the scary crashes though, those lads get hurt and often quite badly. I can't even imagine hanging onto the bars at over 200mph, truly mind boggling. No seat belts for those lads.

out of the cars I'd have to say Touring cars, Aussie V8 Supercars with BTCC a close 2nd.

F1 and IndyCar (CART) - not a race missed in decades, literally.
I would very much like to get into GT racing, because it's very appealing, but every time I try, I get confused by the complexity of the available series with all the classes, regulations, rules and so on.

I would say all kind of endurance races. I like to create races like super gt the whole imsa, le mans and blancpain stuff, especially the ADAC GT Masters where 20+ drivers qualifys in less than 0ne second. But i aslo like rally and hillclimb rcing, but that is not in the list

Single seater for me. F1, Indycar, lower formulas. However I can watch any sort of motorsport.
Years ago my mother would say that I would watch two old ladies pushing shopping trolleys around a supermarket. :)

I voted touring cars.

I love the close racing it produces and I'm one of those odd people that actually enjoys driving front wheel drive cars :D

That's not to say I don't enjoy other types of racing too. I pretty much like and race everything - even v8 stock cars which I can't drive particularly fast or well. As long as it's done well in whatever sim I'm playing then the chances are I'll play it and enjoy it.

Is Rally considered the red headed stepchild of the racing community?
Time trial driving has none of the drafting, defending, attacking and tactics used on a track.

I admit it is a completely different beast. I'm just curious if many don't consider racing against the clock, real racing.

View attachment 302492
Formula One remains the undisputed king of the motorsport TV ratings - but are you an open wheel, or tin top kind of fan?

For me personally touring car racing is, and always will be, the absolute pinnacle of what motorsport can offer. I love the door-handle to door-handle fights that touring car racing provides, and the accessibility in terms of both technology and access the sport offers.. but, I also like pretty much every form of motorsport besides the glory of a full touring car field.

Now recently I spoke to someone at work, who for him motorsport begins and ends with Formula One. This got me thinking... I wonder what type of racing appeals most to our community here at RD?

So, do you prefer your action under a roof, or are you more of an open wheel type fan?

Let us know in the comments section below!

P.s. I'm not referring to specific series here, just a much more general question about open wheelers and tin top or GT style racing...

Image credit: www.blancpain-gt-series.com

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Is Rally considered the red headed stepchild of the racing community?
Time trial driving has none of the drafting, defending, attacking and tactics used on a track.

I admit it is a completely different beast. I'm just curious if many don't consider racing against the clock, real racing.
33947 people registered for RSR live timing so I'd say there is some interest in racing the clock. I didn't play AMS for that long but their live timing thing seemed fairly active as well (compared to servers!)

Completely disagree mate. Formula E is more exciting than 80% of any other racing. It's no different in terms of racing credibility than the likes of Indycar or WEC.
i don`t think so. the racing is horrible and when there is something exiting its a crash, there are never any good battles that dont end in crashes. Also most of the tracks are horrible and waaaaay to tight, especially for the Gen 2 cars. And the 7 different winners in 7 races seem to me like pure luck, unlike the 7 different winners in 7 races in the 2012 F1 season. Because those winners were decided by racing actions and car failures, not playing bumpercars and hoping to not get a penalty. But everyone can watch what he enjoys so i dont hate you for liking something i dont.

Wow! I voted open wheel, but I could have easily chosen GT as quickly. I liked open wheel in the iRacing days, in skip barber, PRO Mazda and FR2. When I moved away from iRacing, I started to discover and enjoy GT racing in AC c/o SRS.

I liked the precision open wheel offers, but they are too easily damaged based on the sims I run. In GT racing, more wheel banging is possible but it's still sim dependent how far you can get away with it.

As far as real life racing that I watch, I only watch what my cable provider have to offer. Sadly I'm stuck to F1 and moto GP. There's thisChinese GT Racing they telecast but with Chinese commentators, I can easily turn off the tele for youtube. They used to air V8SC in my country, but for some reason they don't anymore.

Very difficult choice, I chose endurance as I really enjoy IMSA especially the longer endurance races and other events such as the Bathurst 12 hour and Le mans just for the variety of cars, sounds and the general spectacle.
Yet the only two series I usually watch every race are touring car series: Aussie Supercars, which I love, and BTCC which I think I just watch out of loyalty rather than because its particularly good.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%