What is the secret when it comes to starting?

Hey dudes,

I had fun at the Oschersleben race (Club Race 07 - WTCC Night) last night, but I noticed that I'm the worst starter in the history of Race 07.

So what's the secret in getting a good start? I need help!! :)

Thanks!

• Edward Leake

Practise!

Sorry I know that's a crap answer but it's true.

Start with full throttle launches and work your way down the rev range until you find traction, then start feeding in throttle and modulate throttle as you gain and lose grip.

Obviously do this offline on your own. :)

As for tactics off the start line and when you're rolling, well they change every race as each start is different. It's very tricky to recommend what to do here other than to keep on your line, safely, and force other drivers to fall in line behind... hopefully not out braking themselves and taking your rear bumper with them in the process.

Heya,

As for technique to start, what Ed wrote pretty much covers it up, i however do not start with full throttle, but around 80%, although it depends on the car as well, WTCC 80%, Mini for example can bear almost full throttle, 95% or so...

Main thing is that you should not spin the wheel, and also do not stall the engine, needs practise to modulate during acceleration when and how much throttle you can apply until car gets full grip and you can push as much as you want.

Also helps if you have a clutch, not waiting in neutral for the red light going out, but in 1st gear with revving engine. If you do not have a clutch pedal you can map a button for it as well, you can reach the same effect.

and as for last, practise practise practise... what i do for it is to fire up an AI event with full grid, set AI strength to max 105%, skip qualy to start last, and then during start you can see clearly based on the gap between your car and the AI how good you did the start.

p.s.: do not expect to make better start then the AI, it is mission impossible... :) i used to get around 0.3 sec before T1 braking when i make a perfect start.

If you have a clutch:

During start lights procedure on FWD cars mostly 75-80% throttle and gradually lift the clutch pedal.
For RWD E90/E46 I often use full throttle.

If you don't have a clutch:
Try this, I know its not the fastest way, but it is the most reliable :)
During start lights procedure don't press the throttle, shift to 1st gear and wait. When the lights are off, floor the throttle to 100%.
I know this works great for the E90, but I don't know for sure if its also good for FWD.

I don't have a clutch and I'm very fast off the grid. I did get to use a clutch a couple of times and wasn't any slower.

First thing to remember if your in a FWD, forget trying to compare yourself to the Beemers off the line, opposite if your in the Beemer.

I sit with the throttle just about 7500rpm, release the clutch and then try to keep the revs up but keep wheelspin to a minimum. It's very much practice.

for FWD always try to use the least min wheel spin
like others said above me....try 80% throttle or between 6000/7000 rpm....
when the green flag drops, drop the throttle a bit to avoid wheel spin and then use full throttle

try to train that...you will see that sometimes you can gain some 1/2 spots..
hell i can even sometimes have a bmw start (depends if the bmw driver doesn't know how to start :))

Well, it's all good advice above but I've also noticed something else which comes into equation;

There is no actual "golden rule", it's something you have to test yourself (even if it's in pitlane during practice or qualy *cough*). The thing to also take into consideration is what your first gear ratio is. Obviously if you have a very long first gear, your bite/sweet point is going to be different than if you have a short first gear. Each car is also different.

Do you use a clutch?

If so, manual or automatic?

Button clutch or clutch pedal?

As others have said, it's all about putting in some track time to practice........................and we still get it wrong sometimes :wink:

• Wido Rossen

As i only drive frontwheel cars i can share my opinion for those cars.

I always start with manual pedal clutch.
Then try to hold the rev counter against the red area.
When te light turn green let go of the clutch and a little of the accelerator.
As soon as you notice that there is no ( more ) wheelspin drop the pedal to the floor.
Most of the time it gives me a great start.

• Chris Noble

I dont have a clutch pedal, but mapped the clutch to a button on my wheel.

Put it in 1st about 80% - 90% throttle, then let go of the button when the lights go out modulating the throttle to ensure the revs dont drop and keep the wheelspin to a miniumn. works very well and always gives me good starts in my Honda :)

Everything above.

I use a clutch. For me it is all about the practice. I normally get a good start when it all just feels right. The engine note sounds right, the revs are high but not hitting the rev limiter and there is just the hint of wheel spin and scrubbing tyres as the car pulls off. Modulating is the key for me - judging how much traction I am getting and keeping forward momentum.

Avoid bogging down and do not be put off by the other cars. Keep an eye out so you do not hit a slow starting car, but really focus on your car not the opposition and their start.

If you focus too much on the ground you are losing to other cars you may find that you panic, hit the gas too much and wreck your start.

• Bill Bailey

Depends on what car you're driving. Always raise the settings for the first gear. I use American cars mostly, Corvette, Viper, Saleen, with these cars and the right gear setting i can leave the car in first gear at idle and slowly roll onto the gas when the light turns green. I often pass one or two rows of Ferraris at the start because they are just spinning their wheels.

Bill

Thanks a alot for all these answers - much appreciated!

I don't use a clutch which would make things a bit easier if I understand your posts correct. Anyhow, I still managed to get better (not good) starts after .. ehm .. a helluva lot of practise! It's all about getting full grip, I guess .. :)

Everyone`s after the perfect fast start but i dont think you should mind sacrificing the start to be able to use a full complement of gears, long first gear slow off the start but better in the race, or fast start and make 1st pretty much redundant at a fair few tracks, each to thier own i guess!

For FWD cars I usually put the RPM's around 5500 to 6000 and shift into 1st and modulate the gas pedal to minimize wheel spin. I noticed on the last race I did I actually had a pretty good start. This works for me, again Practice, Practice, Practice...To each his own...

practice practice practice.
also u can put clutch on your wheel ( bind to some button )
and modify the % in the setting to give optimal start with
current car.
i setup that % once and havent touched it since.
sometimes start is good, sometimes bad :D

so... practice, revs as stated there above and try that clutch on button if it helps.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%