PC1 What is the right way to do standing start?

I've been playing PCars for a while, but I'm still confused how to do a standing start in the game. I've tried to hold down the clutch, put the car in 1st gear, build up revs, and wait for green and let clutch go, but the game doesn't put me into gear. I've tried to put the car in gear, use a weird way to hold down brake and gas at the same time while waiting for green, but I often stall my engine or get dq'd because I rolled forward.

Also I find if I don't quickly put my G27's H shifter in neutral right after previous qualification session ends, I can't put my car in neutral while waiting in grid, which ends up me unintentionally rolling forward and get dq'd or stall the engine.

What I'm doing now is put my car in neutral as fast as I can after qualification, leave it in neutral, build up the revs while waiting for green, and as soon as green I throw my shifter fast press and depress the clutch to get into first gear.

Everything above does not feel right to me. I wonder what is the right way to do a standing start? How do you guys start a race? Thanks.

BTW as mentioned above my controller is G27+H pattern shifter. I have same confusion when I drive a sequential car, such as the karts.

Try just pressing the clutch, engaging first gear and then rev up and depress the clutch. All this without touching the brake since i think that when you press brake it will release the car. Not sure tho.

I've figured it out. It was because the game will not recognize any gear shifter input before a frag of a second before the red light appears. I usually put the car in gear before red light appears, and the game doesn't know that I'm in gear. That's it...

I've figured it out. It was because the game will not recognize any gear shifter input before a frag of a second before the red light appears. I usually put the car in gear before red light appears, and the game doesn't know that I'm in gear. That's it...

I can put my car in 1st way before the lights turn red. I did notice the cockpit doesn't display it (stays on N), but the 'on screen display' does.

I made a quick video for you with my G27 + H Shifter. Ironically I picked a car that really uses paddles, but never mind :rolleyes:

Everything worked normally, and I could change into first gear at any time, and drop the clutch when the lights go green. However is it VERY important that the gearbox is in neutral when you start the session. If it's not in neutral, all the pedals and the gearbox become inoperative. Moving the gearbox into neutral after the session starts does not help, you have to re-start the session in neutral.

One other thing crossed my mind about your problem. Have you ensured that auto-clutch is disabled in the controller settings before using the H shifter? Perhaps that's interfering with your operation of the clutch pedal?

I have auto-clutch enabled for open wheelers or any car that uses the paddle shifter, but it should be disabled for the H shifter cars.

Cheers :)

I made a quick video for you with my G27 + H Shifter. Ironically I picked a car that really uses paddles, but never mind :rolleyes:

Everything worked normally, and I could change into first gear at any time, and drop the clutch when the lights go green. However is it VERY important that the gearbox is in neutral when you start the session. If it's not in neutral, all the pedals and the gearbox become inoperative. Moving the gearbox into neutral after the session starts does not help, you have to re-start the session in neutral.

One other thing crossed my mind about your problem. Have you ensured that auto-clutch is disabled in the controller settings before using the H shifter? Perhaps that's interfering with your operation of the clutch pedal?

I have auto-clutch enabled for open wheelers or any car that uses the paddle shifter, but it should be disabled for the H shifter cars.

Cheers :)

I'm pretty sure I totally share my experience with you. I feel PCars implementation of gearbox operation very weird. I feel it very confusing especially when the game takes control of my car, such as during rolling start and in pit.

Yes I do turn auto-clutch off all the time. I'll try turn it on next time I play a paddle shifter car.

Yesterday I was trying out the road RUF, it seemed that I had to use my G27's H-shifter as a sequential. It felt so awkward and wrong to me... I really prefer using my paddles for all sequential gearbox car.

Nothing wrong with paddles for sequential gearbox control, but this is a cheap easy sequential modification method that's been going around for years :-

I know about this, but I always love driving H shifter cars - I enjoy KTM X-bow in AC a lotfor example - so I just don't want the hassle of doing this. If I had more spare money I would buy a sequential shifter, but for now I just wanna stick to my H shifter and would love an option to map RUF's sequential to my paddle.

Well seems that I'm off topic now.

I use G27 and I also cannot shift before the lights come on. What I do is, I wait for the lights then switch between few gears up and down ( to get to 1st, all with holding the clutch in). Then do the start as usual.

As for the RUF, the CTR3 can be driven with paddles, because I did it. Should be done with sequential ofcourse if you have it avaliable.

I use G27 and I also cannot shift before the lights come on. What I do is, I wait for the lights then switch between few gears up and down ( to get to 1st, all with holding the clutch in). Then do the start as usual.

As for the RUF, the CTR3 can be driven with paddles, because I did it. Should be done with sequential ofcourse if you have it avaliable.
I need to double check RUF. Yesterday I used paddles and nothing happened...

I'm using g27 and it works fine for me too(only indicator displays confusing stuff). The only prob I have is on tracks like spa where the car starts rolling. Guess i have to do it like in real life. Binding handbrake to a button and hold it until start.

I'm using g27 and it works fine for me too(only indicator displays confusing stuff). The only prob I have is on tracks like spa where the car starts rolling. Guess i have to do it like in real life. Binding handbrake to a button and hold it until start.
Have you tried putting cars like kart and formula C in 1st gear when you are still watching the animation showing the grid? I did that all the time and I figured that the game would not recognize the car's in gear. So when race starts physically my shifter is in 1st gear but the game thinks I'm in neutral. That's why I got confused and made this post.

Hi St3phan, I can confirm what you're experiencing.
I have a G25 with shifter configured in seq mode + th8rs as a h pattern. All aids are off, including auto clutch.
You can only engage 1st gear (or whatever) after the lights are shown on screen.
The way I do is to engage 1st when the first row of red lights appear, then keep the revs on optimum range until green, when releasing the clutch will launch the car. I also use the clutch to avoid spinning while launching.
While racing in seq mode cars, I use clutch when downshifting. Although I know that there are modern seq gearboxes that are fully automatic either up or downshifting, I know of a more common model that requires clutch when downshifting, so I use this as a way to add some challenge and "immersion" on cheaper seq cars. In top end cars, i.e. F1 like, I use the clutch only when launching and if I spin to avoid stalling the engine.

Perhaps the devs will change the weird behavior in a future patch, allowing us to engage gears without having to wait for lights, etc.

Cheers.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 189 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years