What is the Purpose of Simulations?

To answer the title: Allows us to race when it's physically impractical.

I'd like to go to a filled track everyday of the week. There's a lot involved for that to happen. It's a lot easier to go downstair for 30 minutes.

While sims von't ever be like driving a real car, real driving techniques works good enough to be satisfying in them. One thing that is 1:1 is race fights. When I rent-a-kart often, I'd have a bumper to bumper race that would be heart pounding. Those where you trade a place back and forth with another. Personally, and the catch is here.

I have to take a job because it's sims racing after all!! :D There's 10000s argument about witch sims has better this or that. But nobody talks about racing actually.

It would probably bring sims racing communities if racing etiquette and talks would come up more. That's through that topic that actual driving will improve for everyone and make the genre more interesting to new comers! :D

• Deleted member 197115

Gaming hobby taken to the extreme.

Last edited by a moderator:
i sim race because crashing in real life hurts the body and wallet. i mean, i do it anyway, but i get enough of a driving fix in my living room (yes, my rig is in my living room. single life.) that i dont have to risk it as often doing the real thing. and when i do the real thing, im better prepared to handle the car safely.

I fly a commercial simulator (HondaJet) almost everyday as part of my job duties.
The quality is such that after approximately seventeen days of training including a check-ride at the end, most pilots pick up their airplanes and fly them home...having never been in the airplane before.
The simulator is that good.
A good level D simulator offers quite a bit to the training process.
We have to maintain very accurate standards to remain a qualified training device.
There are four massive QTG (qualification test guides) filled with plotted test which MUST be run throughout the year.
Those test results have to accurately match the original data test point as captured from the airplane during the initial data collection.
Even the projector light output has a standard of no less than six foot-lamberts.
It is all regulated by Sim Standards and continuously checked by the FAA, EASA, CAA, JAA and a whole host of other regulatory agencies.

Last edited:
My Simulator
Lxxbon3.jpg

I used to do some simple but very accurate engine room simulators back with I worked in commercial shipping.
The purpose was to train reaction to event that happen rarely or hopefully newer.

Later I wanted to get a Private pilot license so got myself FS98 and a cheap flight yoke. The purpose was to make it cheaper to get the license by practicing in that flight Sim. Upgraded to FS9, FSX and X-Plane.
Even after my license expired I still start up the flight Sims and practice landing and take offs.

I also got a golf simulator in my house, not the most expensive but fairly accurate.
It's purpose is to make me a better golfer and enable me to train more and more effective.

Unsurprising I also got what we call a race sim. Cheap G27 wheel but nice cockpit, good computer, UW monitor and VR headset.
It really has no practical purpose!
While I have been lucky enough to try out some older race cars there are no chance that I would get a race car, too old and not enough money for that.
I still call it a race simulator as my wife might get upset with me if I told here I spend all that money on a computer game!:D

To imagine that you are racing or flying something ...but if you get in the real vehicle...you will know that is a full diferent thing.

PD: Amm if you simulate with iracing then you can also learn about finances and justifications! :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 300 13.3%