what is the most realistic racing simulator?

What I found when learning to drive is that, especially when it approaches your test, Sim Racing can start badly influencing your use of the steering wheel. My game wheel had been fixed while I was learning, and I played a bit, but suddenly, my use in real life became jittery and over-corrective. As you do more driving, start to reduce your sim-racing as it starts to become a detriment.

The main thing I learned from Sim-Racing was the brake. I found myself being quite good at braking in real life (safely and calmly). I understood a little bit about how it worked (I know it slowed you down, but distances and strength were helped by Sim Racing).

What I found when learning to drive is that, especially when it approaches your test, Sim Racing can start badly influencing your use of the steering wheel. My game wheel had been fixed while I was learning, and I played a bit, but suddenly, my use in real life became jittery and over-corrective. As you do more driving, start to reduce your sim-racing as it starts to become a detriment.

I think the important thing is to separate normal and race driving. I'm fairly sure real race car drivers don't have this problem!

I did find it to be an issue too, but it wasn't so much the jittery over-corrected-ness, but more that I refused to move my hands on the wheel (to shuffle etc.). But I soon learnt to separate my driving techniques, though maybe some people will find this harder than others.

Something else I just thought of actually - another benefit of Assetto Corsa is that it has lots of road cars, which is what you'll be learning to drive. Sure, you're unlikely to be learning to drive for real in cars like the ones in AC because they're all high-performance versions but it's still closer than a race car ;)

I think the only car in AC your likely to have a connection with in real life with regards to learning to drive is the 500 Abarth. That could be used as a starter to learn how to control a FWD car.

I didnt start driving in real life until i was 21, i had no interest in cars and i am a biker at heart but the game that taught me how cars move and react was the Gran Turismo series.

For what its worth i passed my test with just 8 lessons 1st time and with only 3 minors, this doesnt make me a good driver, but it shows i picked up useful info from driving games. If simulators were no good then F1 teams and other race series wouldnt use them, granted they are far more advanced but the principles are the same.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back