PC1 What is the future plans for pCars 1?

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
So, with pCars 2 funding being announced, or, "funding" as SMS have enough money to make pCars 2 from the money they've earned on pCars 1, what is the actual plan forward for pCars 1, if anyone know.

There are still lot's of issues with the game, both offline and online, and features that are lacking etc. And with 70% of the staff moving over to pCars 2 now, there is no doubt that the pCars 1 progress will get slowed down.

I don't dare to ask this question over at the WMD forums, because I don't want to take any risks of being banned from forums.

if the open disclosure of 250K pounds is true, im impressed. unless theyre just going to hoard the profits...i expected a lot more than that to go into pcars 2, isnt this a sign theyre going to dump a good amount of cash in to pcars for next year-two?

My guess is that we will just receive bugfixes for the most pressing issues and some more DLCs. All improvements of existing functionality (replays etc) will likely be moved to pCARS 2.

Also I wouldn't be suprised if pCars 2 is out by Christmas 2016 already. The specs are the same as for pCARS 1:

• CPU - 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II X4 940
  • GRAPHICS - nVidia GTX 260, ATI Radeon HD 5770
  • MEMORY - 4Gb RAM, 1Gb VRAM

SMS have said that they will continue to improve and support Pcars for the next couple of years and it may make sense to develop new features and content and be able to share some resources and work with both titles. The game engine has already been developed to support the off-track physics so it's not like they have to start from scratch. Why not maximize investment by developing features for both? It makes good business sense in the current environment; if you're not very efficient, your out of business soon.

SMS have stated that they are creating a versatile and flexible platform for future racing titles. I'm with those of you who want Pcars to fit the more "hardcore" ideal but, it's not hard to see the serious disadvantages of doing so either. If Codies can make an effort to cater to such a small market, maybe SMS will too one day. Most of the serious Racing-Sims rely on interaction with Pro-race teams for income, information and resources because they can't survive by only catering to the hardcore-Sim market.

If nothing else, Pcars should bring more interest and numbers to the Sim market over time and that is what's really needed to make a brighter Sim future than we currently enjoy; that's not a bad thing as things stand now IMO.

While it was a nice answer, it really didn't give any more information at all.

SMS have said quite a lot of things that didn't turn out to be in pCars either. And there is no doubt that the progress on pCars will be slower due to less people working on it.

In my humble opinion, reading between the lines, I reckon a lot that was planned and promised on the WMD side for inclusion in PCars 1 either as DLC or original content is now being shifted to Pcars 2. Easy money really. Same game engine, same physics, same problems. Almost like Shift 1 to Shift 2 all over again. Except this time they made loads of cash out of the enthusiasts that will mainly go to the big investors (like the one who occasionally trolls on here about how much money he is making).

Then they are asking gamers to donate 50 quid to become part of the aplha/beta testing team again with no investment return. Strange. I'd rather buy the full game on steam after it's released. 40% off in the steam summer sale again. Probaly cost about 20 quid.

To answer the OP though. Maybe we will get some small bug fixes and a free car and a couple of pay DLC cars and tracks. Time will tell. But most of the promised stuff will come in Pcars 2.

Don't buy any DLC till things are fixed, financially it makes sense for SMS to fix the core game then.... I will gain trust from SMS on their support for pcars by way of bug fixing, features etc, if that trust is not gained, my money will go elsewhere.

Then they are asking gamers to donate 50 quid to become part of the aplha/beta testing team again with no investment return. Strange. I'd rather buy the full game on steam after it's released. 40% off in the steam summer sale again. Probaly cost about 20 quid.

Why strange? If you don't want to help/contribute then just do like you said and wait for the full release (preferably on sale). If you do, then £50 is not that much to ask.

Yes but they're all money-grabbing sociopathic whores with no sense of decency or personal hygiene apparently so it doesn't count.

What you have done now, is that you created a perfect opportunuty for an SMS or WMD guy to jump and say that we talk bad about the coders and so on.
Shows that you are no better.

If we act civilised, they cannot do **** abou it. Let it be seen that we are the better, more mature pople. You have to love your haters, that baffles them immensely but until such posts will not be seen, all you are doing is adding fuel to flame.

If you don't want to help/contribute then just do like you said and wait for the full release.
This.

Just wait for the release and reviews of people you trust.
Crowd funding has 2 benefits for companies (1-money beforehand, 2-free PR all over the internet) but that doesn't mean that we as customers needs to fund or preorder.

If you don't want to get burned, wait for release.

It isn't hurting you that they are working on pC2.
If you of course are not satisfied with pC1, then you maybe should have already followed the "don't preorder" rule for pC1 ;)

This.

Just wait for the release and reviews of people you trust.
Crowd funding has 2 benefits for companies (1-money beforehand, 2-free PR all over the internet) but that doesn't mean that we as customers needs to fund or preorder.

If you don't want to get burned, wait for release.

It isn't hurting you that they are working on pC2.
If you of course are not satisfied with pC1, then you maybe should have already followed the "don't preorder" rule for pC1 ;)

Bur for instance, I didn't preorder. I bought it the day it came out, expecting a reasonably finished game. Yes, preordering or investing is risky, just like any other buisness but buying a finished product being somewhat broken and unfinished is criminal. If you bought a car with a faulty gearbox, they would change it or give you a replacement car until the factory fixes the series and then get a new version or a new car. They wouldn't just tell you to wait for the next generation a few years ahead and buy the whole car then while driving with the faulty gearbox until then.

I bought it the day it came out
Rule #2 of video game purchases: Don't buy on day 1, wait until you read/watch reviews of people you trust :)

And i wonder: Are you new to video gaming?
The days are over in which games were delivered in an acceptable way.
Nowadays with fast internet all over the world (at least the parts relevant for game publishers) day 1 patching is a pretty common thing.

Some games take up to a year to finally get to a somewhat acceptable state.
(Yes DICE, i'm looking at your Battlefield games)

Hardly new to video games. Yeah I forgot to mention that I reckon we don't live in a fairy world where games are 100% on release. That doesn't justify broken games however.

Imagine I murdered a family member of yours and then say that it really doesn't matter because we live in a dangerous world and the person would probably get hit by a bus anyway In the near future. Judge would turn to you and say that I actually have a valid point and told you to open your eyes.

Reason why games aren't ready on release is because everybody knows we will buy them. As long as it shines, it can be poop you're selling and you'd be rich. People waiting for reviews are probably less than 10% of potential customer base so either way, we are not changing game developers to make good/innovative/working games. They've got the ball rolling already.

What you have done now, is that you created a perfect opportunuty for an SMS or WMD guy to jump and say that we talk bad about the coders and so on.
Shows that you are no better.
Think you missed the "apparently" out of my post there Arne. I was making fun of the haters on here, not having a go at SMS myself though I agree that some SMS people could also use a lesson in common decency. ;)

Because I said so.
Ok then, strange for you perhaps. Not for others, seems like a fair compromise.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 399 40.0%