What is the best VR headset for AC, AMS2, PC2 or Iracing

I looking at making the step to Vr for my sim rig. I got an i7-9700k CPU and a gtx 1660 GPU so I know I can handle most headsets. What is best for long sessions and the best viewing? I have been looking at the valve index, Rifts S, and the Quest. can any one help?

Can I please ask for some opinions please- I have an opportunity to pick up a reasonably priced as new Oculus Rift CV1, £280. We use triple 27inch monitors. Had the HP Reverb but got fed up of all the reconfigurations. We have an RTX 2080 gpu so can definitely run the thing. Is it worth giving it a crack for a bit of fun or now that it’s obsolete and unsupported is it a bit of a lemon?

Upvote 0
Not tried the Reverb yet as waiting on Amazon to deliver mine but I suspect you'll find the CV1 a big step down in visual quality and also if you don't have a permanent desk area to set up don't forget the CV1 uses external sensor cameras so everything needs calibrating every time they're moved.

Upvote 0
Had the HP Reverb but got fed up of all the reconfigurations.
I have the Reverb. Just wondering what you mean about the reconfigurations. Are you referring to resetting the head position at the start of the game? I have to do it whilst driving from time to time too, but it's mostly at the start I have to do it. If so, I honestly thought this was normal, but I have only had previous experience with the PSVR which had exactly the same 'feature' :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If you are losing tracking while driving, check the lighting, it shouldn't happen.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It's pretty rare. It was worse when I had a bright centre light in my office. I replaced it with a diffused one and things improved a lot
Soft even light is the best. Not too dim or too bright, just right. -Goldilocks :)

Upvote 0
I had TERRIBLE motion sickness with VR to the point that i was getting sick just thinking about it..lol...I brought the following and absolutely have no motion sickness at all....

I don't have VR(yet) and I have terrible motion sickness that I couldn't even play any 1st or 3rd person shooting games. Been looking for some ways to fix it somehow. Thanks for mentioning this. I will absolutely check this.

Upvote 0
I have the Reverb. Just wondering what you mean about the reconfigurations. Are you referring to resetting the head position at the start of the game? I have to do it whilst driving from time to time too, but it's mostly at the start I have to do it. If so, I honestly thought this was normal, but I have only had previous experience with the PSVR which had exactly the same 'feature' :)
Lots of recalibration the head position, but also all the anti aliasing etc tweaking that had to be done per game. Never able to find a sort of equilibrium and couldn’t get Euro Truck working at all. The dance between Nvidia settings, WMR settings, Steam settings and game settings every time we got started meant some times it was two hours before the thing ran stable. This was my sons and was supposed to be a an hours training in the evening after gym and after homework. There were so many lost hours that it became pointless. It was still within the 30 days so we returned it and went triple. We definitely noticed a speed hit, but hours in seat has increased massively. It was clearly better but the instability was to big a compromise.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

but also all the anti aliasing etc tweaking that had to be done per game
Antialiasing? What does that have to do with SteamVR or WMR?
And for head position recalibration, all racing titles have recenter VR bind, you can bind it to voiceAttack and do that without even reaching for keyboard. Not sure how different brand HMD can solve for the problems you had though as this applies across all of them, unless you happened to have lemon HMD.

Upvote 0
Antialiasing? What does that have to do with SteamVR or WMR?
And for head position recalibration, all racing titles have recenter VR bind, you can bind it to voiceAttack and do that without even reaching for keyboard. Not sure how different brand HMD can solve for the problems you had though as this applies across all of them, unless you happened to have lemon HMD.
Could have had a lemon

Upvote 0
The Rift S has the lowest GPU requirement since it only runs 80fps and has slightly less resolution than the Index. It also seems to have efficient drivers and very good reprojection ( frequency doubling when your card can't keep up )

However even with graphics settings set low your video card won't cut it and you won't enjoy the result. Stuttering in VR is a great way to get nausea.

I wouldn't even bother without a least 2070 Super or a used 1080. However I had a 1080Ti and I ran into boarderline situations with it.

I'm using a 2080Ti with my Valve Index and I'm very happy with how it all works, but last summer when Dirt Rally 2.0 was released in VR even my 2080Ti was struggling initially. I had to works with the graphics settings to get reasonable performance at 90fps. Fortunately the drivers or DR2 have improved the efficiency quite a bit. I accidentally ran it at 120 fps recently and it did well. Then I maxed all the graphics settings at 90fps and it did well. So things are getting a bit better.

Even with a 2080Ti some titles like ACC are VERY challenging. DR 2.0 is better now. iRacing is probably the most efficient sim for VR use. PC2 does well.

Really, wouldn’t even bother with anything less than a 2070 super?? I have a regular 2060 on my laptop and was thinking about getting a Rift S. How much would I have to turn graphics and/or FPS down for PC2 or AC?

Upvote 0
Not sure if the mobile 2060 is rated the same, but I have the standard 2060 with a HP reverb hooked up, which has a slightly higher refresh (90Hz) and about 2.5x the pixel count to the S. AC can run mid-low settings with a 20 car pack reasonably (get about 75fps at T1, settling down to 90fps after), but PC2 really struggles even on the lowest - hotlapping in both is fine though. Recently subbed to iRacing and not been able to get it to drop below 90fps yet. Slowly cranking up the settings, but currently just over mid way and fpsVR is still reporting only 75% occupancy

Upvote 0
Not sure if the mobile 2060 is rated the same, but I have the standard 2060 with a HP reverb hooked up, which has a slightly higher refresh (90Hz) and about 2.5x the pixel count to the S. AC can run mid-low settings with a 20 car pack reasonably (get about 75fps at T1, settling down to 90fps after), but PC2 really struggles even on the lowest - hotlapping in both is fine though. Recently subbed to iRacing and not been able to get it to drop below 90fps yet. Slowly cranking up the settings, but currently just over mid way and fpsVR is still reporting only 75% occupancy

I see .. so Iracing does well with reverb and 2060, but other games not so much. I’m thinking the Rift S may be ok with a 2060 since it has lower pixel count and maxes out at 80 fps

Upvote 0
About a year ago iRacing implemented an Nvidia VR technology called Single Pass Stereo (SPS) which seems to give a real boost to VR framerate on compatible Pascal and Turing based cards. I don't think any other popular sim title uses it which may explain why iRacing is easier on VR hardware than most, certainly on Nvidia cards.

I've run AC based on these settings (using pixel density of 1.4) with a 2060 Super/AMD Ryzen 3600 using a Rift CV1 and that had plenty of headroom to play with. The Rift S is slightly higher res but slightly lower framerate compared to the CV1 so I'd imagine it makes similar demands on hardware. The 2060 mobile is apparently clocked slower than the desktop version but roughly comparable to a GTX 1070 desktop GPU according to this page which I imagine is a card many would have used for VR on CV1's 3-4 years ago, so I suspect it would be useable, almost certainly for iRacing and probably for AC with a few tweaks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
in my opinion if you have a CV1 oculus rift than a GTX 1070 is minimum but you have to get soome settings down, the good thing is that you don't need high settings anyways because of screendoor effect it will look like a 780p monitor so upping the setting higher as 1080p and keep a lot of filters off. That sayed if you have higher resolution headsets you will run in to limits........

Upvote 0
It looks like HP just announced the Reverb G2 yesterday. Apparently the same resolution as the prior model, but supposedly clearer. I may give VR another try, although I did years ago and got motion sickness within a few minutes. Perhaps I just need to stick with it as mentioned on this thread, or maybe even give that electronic wrist band a try.

Upvote 0
Yup also being discussed in the Comptech "Is VR Dead" thread, sadly not available until the Autumn but I just cancelled my Reverb order with Amazon and am buying a secondhand WMR Samsung Odyssey to tide me by until it's released.

Upvote 0
It looks like HP just announced the Reverb G2 yesterday. Apparently the same resolution as the prior model, but supposedly clearer. I may give VR another try, although I did years ago and got motion sickness within a few minutes. Perhaps I just need to stick with it as mentioned on this thread, or maybe even give that electronic wrist band a try.

Looks promising

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back