What is the best VR for my PC long-term?

I am looking into buying a VR headset (including second hand headsets) and maybe upgrading some PC components along the way, but don't know what VR would be better long and or short term. Budget 200-400 Euro, meaning Rift S, Samsung Odyssey Plus, Quest 2 and Reverb G2 are options. Maybe there are some others but idk.

Current Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: GTX 1660 ti (apparently about equal to the 1070ti)
RAM: 16GB running at 3200 mhz CL18

My first question is which VR headset will be the best for this current setup considering I'm only looking into playing racing games on as high as possible setting and refresh rate 70-80 hz. Stand-alone and wires don't matter to me.

And the second question would be if the choice would be the same, if I were to exchange the 1660ti with an 1080ti 11GB, since they're about the same price if I were to sell mine and buy a second hand 1080ti and the performance difference is huge.
Edit: I can find 2070 Supers for just around 350€, same price or around 30 bucks more than for an 1080 ti. It is a way better option or not?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1066209

I cannot provide a comparison to the 1660ti, since I've never used one, but I can assure you that the 1080ti is an incredible card that can hold it's own into this day and age. I've got the Reverb G2 with the 1080ti, and although I'm running Assetto Corsa without shadows/reflections/smoke @ 68% Steam SuperSampling, it delivers a seamless experience at 90Hz. It's clear enough that I can see distinct shapes in the distance, but the G2 really does shine at 100% Steam SS. You'll need a better GPU - something along the lines of a 3080 or even 3080Ti - to let the G2 function at very high settings. In this respect, the G2 is a very good headset for it's price, and will flourish as you provide stronger GPUs to power it.

If you're never going to upgrade to a 1080ti or better, then I would probably not recommend you get the G2. I think that card is the bare minimum for a good time.

Upvote 0
Samsung Odyssey Plus
I found Odyssey Plus a comfortable headset with good dark tone reproduction,
but not enough clarity for distant details in AC. A good (later version) Reverb G1
seems appreciably easier to drive than a G2. I have never used a G2,
but find the G1 satisfactory for sim driving, with adequate contrast and detail.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back