What is steer ratio 13-1 ??

I have a question about the steer ratio. So whats that mean if the car default steer ratio setting is 13-1 ??

Thanks for the concern & good day.

Trust me really i know what you guys talking about, i actually lol myself imagining two front wheel pointing full right or full left like this --
90° turn.jpg

I do know its impossible :D

The reason 1:1 steering ratios are almost never used is a) because the car would be insanely responsive and hard to control when you screw up, and b) the tyres would likely scrub all the time! Karts, as said before, have a 1:1 ratio, and that's fine because they're slow enough for it to be a non-issue (and it's not like you really have much of a choice anyway), but when it comes to "proper" racing cars, you'll generally find that 12:1 or 10:1 is used the most - it gives good enough response while being gradual and predictable enough to keep the car under control and look after the front tyres.

The tightest steering ratio I've seen people can get away with is 8:1, and I find that horrible to drive. :speechless:

Mmm thanks for all the reply about this steer ratio, i have another question ---
Button no working.jpg

Whats that 'become admin' 'restart' 'next ses' 'start ses' are for ?? Nothing happen if i click them.
Thanks for the concern :)

Expanding on what @Rhys Gardiner said. I'm guessing one of reasons to use higher steering ration in cars is because you are effectively dividing amount of torque necessary to turn front wheels. Karts are light so it isn't such big problem but in car that weight more than a ton and have very wide sticky front tires 1-1 ration would require massive effort from driver (to turn). You can see it in some cars where lack of steering help is compensated with bigger size of steering wheel (again it reduces amount of force that need to be applied by driver).
Still this don't answer question "why modern cars with steering help won't use 1-1 ratio". And I would go with what @Rhys said. It probably comes down to higher precision. I'm guessing because modern racing tires have very narrow slip angle where they work most effectively (I think about 5-6 degrees for F1). Also if ration is small steering help need to be stronger. And this could interfere with feedback that driver fingers receive from steering (Raikkonen moaned about for like a year in Lotus).

Mmm thanks for all the reply about this steer ratio, i have another question ---
View attachment 41146
Whats that 'become admin' 'restart' 'next ses' 'start ses' are for ?? Nothing happen if i click them.
Thanks for the concern :)
When you set up a server, you choose an admin password, you type it in the box there, become admin, and then restart a session, move to next session and so on by clicking on those buttons.

Page 96 in the manual. It's not really up to date, but it does cover the basics such as those.

Expanding on what @Rhys Gardiner said. (Raikkonen moaned about for like a year in Lotus).

Yeah all this make sense, i guess may be F1 2011 is too arcade then cause i really using 90° for my wheel rotation setting & it work very well. I mean my tier 5 Lotus are able to make it into Q3 in career mode all the time vs Legend AI and needless to say my time are actually much faster than many other who play tier 3 / 4 cars.
I also use 90°-120° in Dirt 3 / Shift 2 .. all work well.

Yeah it come with a read me text document but nothing tell me what i have to edit for that nkservercfg.ini :cry: Also it say i have to delete or rename nkservercfg.ini from the My Documents/netKar PRO/cfg folder but i dont have nkservercfg.ini in that folder.
May be the "nKServerTool v1.0.23" is more idiot proof for user like me :D Lets see.http://www.lastplace-racing.com/index.php/component/remository/func-startdown/46/?Itemid=30
The netkar Pro manual: C:\nkpro13\manual\netKar PRO Manual.pdf
Server setup is from page 85 onwards, with all relevant options explained.

But yes, the server tool is simpler.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back