What is smartest way to fix Howston G4 AI issues?

Edit - The following re-post from my blog is my new approach to this problem. For reference purposes, the original post has been preserved in italics at the bottom of this post.

I have decided to concentrate first on tracks which the G4 AI are reasonably able to navigate and address slowness via:
  1. Driving a slower (depending on track) version of the G4 vs the AI in a faster version
  2. Applying a fuel ballast to my car (more realistic than > 100% AI strength)
  3. Increase AI strength
  4. Set fuel = OFF to extend (if it works how I'd think) my ballast handicap vs AI
  5. If all else fails, race against a different car (GTO) that is faster or has better AI
Tracks currently testing include:
  • Lester - Had decent race at 115% but was still faster than AI. Next steps:
    • Save 1.2 version of track to MediaFire as was hard to find
    • Install WooChoo's skins as skins are being reused
    • Test at 117% strength
    • Test at 100% against '69 using '67 G4
    • Test at 100% against '69 using '68 G4
    • Test all of the above using fuel ballast to see how close can get to AI = 100%
Tracks to be tested include:
  1. Nords - Start with 105%
  2. Bugatti - Start with 95%
  3. Portugal - Start with 100%
  4. Sebring - Start with 105%
  5. Monaco - Start with 105%
  6. Mid-OH - Start with 115%
  7. Toban - Start with 115%
  8. Loch Drummond - Don't remember ; Use whatever average is after the above
  9. Malaysia - Was third fastest at 100% so try 105%
  10. Texas World Speedway - Try 105%
  11. Lienz - Start with 105%
  12. Mountain Forest - Start with 105%
  13. Essington - Start with 105%
For tracks that are truly worth the testing effort and which the G4 AI are not able to navigate (Mills, Atlanta Motorsports Park), drive against a reasonably-matched car which the AI are able to navigate around the track.

Original Post for reference only:

Howston G4 AI struggle terribly and/or are very slow at several tracks, such as AMP, Mills and Toban.

What is the smartest way to fix these? For example:

• Has anyone already fixed?
    • For example, I found a car set by Whoo Choo. Does this fix anything with AI? Has anyone else fixed this already?
  • What should I do first?
    • Look for something specific in the files for the vehicle, i.e. VEH or RCD problem?
      • If memory serves, the T70 Spyder mod also struggles at Toban running into the wall in the turn before last so I'm thinking is either not a vehicle issue or was not fixed by that mod.
    • Try to train the AI? And which type of training first?
    • Force AI setup at track? I think I can find how to then make default setup if I can get one to work.
      • And any tips for how to approach testing to get fastest AI setup? I.e. Try your setup first, what affects AI vs what doesn't, etc.
Anyway, you get the idea. Anything you can think of that will help me solve this faster and with less pain would be much appreciated. TIA :)

Last edited:
The ai fast path could have very well been made with the "Skip Barber" which is the default car in the editor or perhaps another open wheel mod which is very similar with the Eve F2 braking points and fast line! I like to use the Skip Barber when doing fast lines as i find that the majority of open wheel mods and GT3 car mods run fast and stable.

Note: The G4 ai should have an alternate fast line for their best pace.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

New thought on "What is smartest way to fix Howston G4 AI issues?"

Tag Marcel Offermans :giggle:

Thanks for all the help guys and the Skip Barber default car insight is interesting. I think I'm going to take a break from this for a bit and also see what S397 comes up with regarding "matching content" or whatever it is that they said in their roadmap update.

In the meantime, I'm going to just drive what I know works and also maybe the Dissenter because S397 seems to be proud of it since it is in the screenshots from them regarding winter sale I think so maybe they will address any issues that come up with that vehicle or better yet maybe there won't be any critical ones.

Also, with free MP I think I might just hang out online when I can until offline gets sorted.

Many thanks again to all for the help!!!!!!!!

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back