What is a Turbo Engine

Turbo engines where used in the 80's. But stopped as drivers had bad necks from the G force of the energy inflicted on there helmets. The Hans Device will fix the problem.

So what is a a Turbo Engine. Well anyone who has has played the video games knows there is usually a turbo button that makes you go super fast. Basically the air is sucked in from outside. (Probably in the side pod or the air-box inlet above the drivers helmet, or a separate inlet hole) It goes into a curled meatal pipe that has a fan and a small valve. This compresses the air so it makes a lot of energy (like a pneumatic air gun, the compressed air powers the gun)
The compressed air goes into the engine giving super cooling so the car can run under extreme stress levels beyond what could be achieved form a normally aspirated engine like they used in 2013. The difference is the sound.
The air being sucked will sound like a vacuum cleaner.
And the Turbos only run 6 cylinders in a traditional V, 3 on each side. Or they can do like BMW did at Brabham and run a straight 6 where all the cylinders are straight up and down.
This would be hard to do as there is more stress on the cam shaft.
We could even see teams do like in the Mini Cooper S and run a straight 6 horizontally so it is mounted sideways. :ninja:

Well, I need to correct you here: basically there are two versions of an engine fitted with turbo's. turbocharged and supercharged. The turbocharged engine uses exhaust gasses to power a turbine that forces more air into the cilinders thus creating a bigger bang. Although this system is more efficient it does suffer from less responsiveness usually referred to as turbo lag. It will also require the use of an intercooler to cool the intake air. The supercharged version uses a mechanically powered turbine driven by a belt from the crank shaft and thus eliminating the turbo lag.

TURBOVAC 800 DUAL ACTION :whistling:

9107098_1.jpg

Oh great, I missed Snook's fairy tales :D

But stopped as drivers had bad necks from the G force of the energy inflicted on there helmets. The Hans Device will fix the problem.
Oh yeah, that's the reason :laugh: Even though modern cars can pull a LOT higher G's through corners than in 1988... And HANS doesn't help with that one bit, because it's designed to support the neck under rapid longitudinal deceleration, like in a head-on collision. That's why the helmet gets strapped to the gizmo BEHIND it and not to something on both sides of it.

Well anyone who has has played the video games knows there is usually a turbo button that makes you go super fast.
Oh yeah, F1 in 2014 is going to look like Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart :roflmao:

Basically the air is sucked in from outside. (Probably in the side pod or the air-box inlet above the drivers helmet, or a separate inlet hole)
Guess what - that's how it's always worked...

This compresses the air so it makes a lot of energy
Ohh, so THAT'S why turbo engines produce more power! Thanks to the energy of compressed air!! :laugh:

The compressed air goes into the engine giving super cooling so the car can run under extreme stress levels beyond what could be achieved form a normally aspirated engine like they used in 2013.
Wrong again. The compressed air gets HOT and needs to be cooled down to make it more dense. Only THEN it gets sent to the cylinder.

The difference is the sound. The air being sucked will sound like a vacuum cleaner.
So you mean that Gran Turismo was right all along? :roflmao:

And the Turbos only run 6 cylinders in a traditional V, 3 on each side.
Ever heard of a certain Bugatti Veyron? And it's quad-turbo W16?

Or they can do like BMW did at Brabham and run a straight 6 where all the cylinders are straight up and down.
This would be hard to do as there is more stress on the cam shaft.
Actually, the bigger problem would be a higher center of gravity.

We could even see teams do like in the Mini Cooper S and run a straight 6 horizontally so it is mounted sideways. :ninja:
OR a 12 cylinder Wankel engines like in the Fiat 500! :ninja::ninja:

Last edited:
A turbocharged engine uses exhaust gases to spin a turbine wheel which is mechanically linked to a compressor wheel.
The compressor then boost the volume of air for induction to the cylinders.
Compression builds heat which is reduced to regain efficiency through intercooling...(essentially running the air from the compressor outlet (after compression) through a radiator-like ram cooled or liquid cooled matrix or heat exchanger)...before porting it to the manifold for introduction to the cylinders.
The increased volume of air means there are more molecules of oxygen available for combustion.
On boost, it generally requires a slight increase in fuel to prevent detonation from an overly lean mixture.
Off boost, it performs like a naturally aspirated engine efficiency-wise.
Turbo engines, as do super-charged engines are capable of above one atmosphere.
Camshaft lift and duration are generally smaller on turbocharged engines since the air is being forced into the cylinders.
Hope this clears up a bit of confusion.

Last edited:
As someone who built a turbo car.. the electric generator / motor on the turbine shaft gave me a chub.

The only detail I haven't seen yet is what kind of clutch mechanism is used.. if there is one. The idea of using the generator to slow the turbo to stop building boost is brilliant; no wastegate. But the amount of power going into the generator must be incredible. Wastegates bleed a LOT of energy. I suppose the turbo is sized just so that it will just produce enough extra energy to charge the boost system which just enough power to be able to build boost before the engine produces enough exhaust gas to do so.. A brilliantly delicate balance.

It won't take that much electric boost to get the motor in to a air boost cycle, since once you've slammed air into the engine, that air has to come out which will in turn build boost very, very fast. Similarly, many people have built super/turbo charged vehicles that use a small supercharger to help build the turbo boost (sometimes from near idle) and it is quite the little monster.

The Swedes are fearless....and brilliant.
Volvo and Saab...two manufacturers you wish could go back to their roots and last forever.
I love Saab's concept to boost reduction. A 32bit microprocessor-controlled solenoid to modulate wastegate opening and Instead of dumping the boosted air overboard (sounds cool but waste energy)...Saab uses a vacuum driven Relief / 'hooter' valve to drop the pressure behind the throttle plate and re-route that air to the inlet side of the compressor.
It's efficient and downright clever.
Minimal loss and very little turbo lag.
Per was...is a genius.

Last edited:
The Swedes are fearless....and brilliant.
Volvo and Saab...two manufacturers you wish could go back to their roots and last forever.
I love Saab's concept to boost reduction. A 32bit microprocessor-controlled solenoid to modulate wastegate opening and Instead of dumping the boosted air overboard (sounds cool but waste energy)...Saab uses a vacuum driven Relief / 'hooter' valve to drop the pressure behind the throttle plate and re-route that air to the inlet side of the compressor.
It's efficient and downright clever.
Minimal loss and very little turbo lag.
Per was...is a genius.

As a Swede i must of course agree to this :)

Sadly we have lost SAAB (or as it is now known NEVS) and Volvo has just gone all family safety, and in the process killed "fun".

But, the new Volvo concept car... http://www.ausmotive.com/pics/2013/Volvo-Concept-Coupe-01.jpg

Oh how i wish for that to become production line... Damn those sexy Camaro-like lines. Unfortunately it will most likely not happen.

And oh... I've actually had the pleasure of riding shotgun with both Mr. Eklund and the original Stig (Blomqvist that is), as they've punished a car around a track. It was... scary :)

Interesting system on Saab that you describe.. I've never heard of that! I heard they did another very innovative thing with the head on a bellows, so it could literally swing closer to the block for higher compression and farther for lower. If you ran low octane gas, the engine could run lower the compression ratio. But I've never actually seen this system in real life, only read other people talking about it. You ever hear of that @Terry Rock ?

As a Swede i must of course agree to this :)

Sadly we have lost SAAB (or as it is now known NEVS) and Volvo has just gone all family safety, and in the process killed "fun".

But, the new Volvo concept car... http://www.ausmotive.com/pics/2013/Volvo-Concept-Coupe-01.jpg

Oh how i wish for that to become production line... Damn those sexy Camaro-like lines. Unfortunately it will most likely not happen.

And oh... I've actually had the pleasure of riding shotgun with both Mr. Eklund and the original Stig (Blomqvist that is), as they've punished a car around a track. It was... scary :)
It is really sad that SAAB got dumped in the GM crisis.

Interesting system on Saab that you describe.. I've never heard of that! I heard they did another very innovative thing with the head on a bellows, so it could literally swing closer to the block for higher compression and farther for lower. If you ran low octane gas, the engine could run lower the compression ratio. But I've never actually seen this system in real life, only read other people talking about it. You ever hear of that @Terry Rock ?

Ah yes. The SVC (Saab Variable Compression) engines, for the 9-5 models. It's actually a split block with hinged connections... Imagine cylinders in one block and crank in lower block... Then a hydraulic pump to use the hinge on one side, to adjust the distance between the two sub blocks, this adjusting the chamber volumes, and compression.

It was shelved forever by GM when they bought SAAB, and to my knowledge never used.

SAAB had many very talented engineers working for them over the years... Spawning things like the mentioned SVC but also finalizing turbo use for road cars in the early 80's and before that the very characteristic V4 engines with uniball mounts.

Also leading the way early, with FWD turbos, something that has proven to be the winning concept today.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%