What I like in rFactor 2 ! Not exhaustive

Not exhausive !!!

- Excellent physics engine with very successful realroad and new tire model which arrives designed in connection with Michelin......

- Physics realism of S397 official cars (about 40)

- Physics realism of laser scan tracks

- Diversified S397 cars

- Rather high quality circuits (official and modding) really a lot.

- Really good graphics engine, with some shortcomings some of which will be improved soon such as shadows. Above all, what characterizes the graphics engine is the desire not only to look beautiful but realistic (colors, etc.).

- Graphics performance : overclocked GTX 1080, i7 9700K @5 Ghz, 16 Gb 4000 Mhz ram, SSD: Nurburgring combined, incredibly beautiful and detailed track, very recent official car, day/night cycle, mixed rain/dry, 103 AI, many multiclass, more than 30 different cars..... Nvidia control panel all maximum quality, single 1080p screen, visible AI 6, opponent low, rain reflection low, rain drops low, EVERYTHING REST AT MAXIMUM including AA max and post ultra effect = almost always 75 FPS in dry, and between 50 and 75 FPS in wet.

- Sound really good. Original and unchanged, it is good. But with some modifications which take 2 minutes in the player.json, the sound is really very good (see on racedepartment the Dodd's sound .... in misc).

- Bugs and loading : the bugs contrary to what some say are infrequent even in beta, but the loading times are unbearable (unbearable).

- UI fast enough, functional, and allowing to correctly configure all aspects of the game (wheel and pedals, graphics, session, other aspects) : the UI is disappointing yes, but it is perfectly usable and improves so IT IS OK.

- All the layout of the Nurburgring, best Nurburgring of all the simracing + as many multiclass as you want + 103 AI........ An incredibly awesome experience.

- Indispensable features : resume racing even after 4, 6, 8, 12 hours of racing.... Real road in autosave mode !

ETCETERA !!!

Well rF2 is not perfect but for what I need it is the best sims out there.

Last edited:
I concur with all your points, but because i´m a stubborn guy, the fact that the engine, since it was created still overwhelm 1 core, much more than the others, should have been the priority , since s397 bought the game, to fix this. They said so, but when play in VR, there is always 1 core used much more than others, we don´t have a cpu to maximize the game in VR, I say VR, because i never played rf2 in 2d since 2014. I was one of the guys in love with rf2 when ISI, was in the game, but since they forget there game, only started to play again when VR was added to RF2.

Now, i only race with rf2, with some plays in RR and AM2, but i´m always disappointed with the FFB feel of ams2.

I would also like this kind of optimization, even if VR is no longer my priority.

But rf2 is the only simulation that accepts 103 AI, enormously and unlimited the number of multiclass and cars, with random rain, day / night cycle, very good graphics, Nurburgring Combined as beautiful and faithful to the laser level, etcetera.

And it works at 75 FPS most of the time even with nvidia control panel at maximum and over 90% of graphics settings at maximum, on 1080p screen. With very low GTX 1080 and concerning your remark :

My powerful i7 9700K overclocked and stable at 5 Ghz is not even used (in the majority of cases) at 75% of these capacities, despite the physics of the player (ultra realistic), 103 AI (103), very good graphics, and changing racing conditions....

In terms of the CPU, in game, NOT LOADING, rF2 seems to me to be really very well optimized.

I'm not saying that to contradict you, any optimization is welcome, but in terms of CPU, for me no problem in the game, on the other hand the loading times are absolutely SHAME !

To be honest (having already been called an rf2 fanboy:)): Resume does not work as the car setup is not the one you had when saving (but the default one). The whole car state is not saved. This makes the feature useless for endurance racing.

My favorite which is not yet covered: Random weather. I haven't seen this level of adjustability and real randomness in any other - otherwise comparable - sim.

BTW: I'm a lot into endurance racing (that's why rf2 offers the most of all sims to me) - so loading times don't bother me so much. Compared to the length of races that I do they are vanishing anyway...

Regarding loading times.

I practically only use the Nurburgring Combined with 89 AI (I add 14 AI afterwards).

Despite my SSD, my good motherboard, my i7 9700K @ 5 Ghz, and my 16 Gb at 4000 Mhz :

The loading times (without changing graphics settings) are between 7 minutes minimum and 15 minutes.

I play 1 hour parts on the track, so it's 5 min to start the PC, at least 5 minutes to start steam + rF2 + set the session + on average something like 8-9 minutes to load the track, and finally 2 minutes to adjust the car and let the computer "take over these spirits" after 103 cars loaded, and 5 minutes to quit rF2 and shut down the computer.....

Part of 1H therefore forces me to lose about 25 minutes to do whatever is necessary to play.

So I spend 1/3 of my time doing all this, it's excessive.

It is the loading time of the track that I question, not the rest (of course).

And with each change of graphics parameter or new loading of a new track, the loading time is totally disastrous : they really have to do something.

To be honest (having already been called an rf2 fanboy:)): Resume does not work as the car setup is not the one you had when saving (but the default one). The whole car state is not saved. This makes the feature useless for endurance racing.

My favorite which is not yet covered: Random weather. I haven't seen this level of adjustability and real randomness in any other - otherwise comparable - sim.

BTW: I'm a lot into endurance racing (that's why rf2 offers the most of all sims to me) - so loading times don't bother me so much. Compared to the length of races that I do they are vanishing anyway...
try saving your setup and then also assigning it as the default. When you click on the summary page, you should see the setup listed twice. That worked for sharing a setup, maybe it will work for a replay save.

try saving your setup and then also assigning it as the default. When you click on the summary page, you should see the setup listed twice. That worked for sharing a setup, maybe it will work for a replay save.

I think the problem is a deeper one. Especially in endurance racing (and that's exactly the use case of saving/reloading), the car setup changes (as the conditions do). The setup I started with will not be the same I'm using after 6 hours when it's suddenly rainy and(less suddenly) nighttime.
I can only guess the cause, most likely the current parameters of the cars are not saved within the replay (as for the replay functionality alone that would not be necessary). Guessing further it would be quite some addition to the whole functionality to add all car's parameters throughout all the replay data. I have sent the issue via the S397 forum but as expected did not get any reaction - I don't expect a fix this or next year.
My workaround: I have a keyboard shortcut to underclock/undervolt the GPU to at least bearable levels while the race is paused until I have the time to get back to it (which might be a day). Anyway, I would not want to live in the same room:)

You need to get over it and just enjoy what you enjoy not what others do
Personally I could not care what anyone thinks
The only thing matters is you ;)
Would you like to reconsider that statement looking at some of your contributions to the rF2 rant thread?

Too bad they deleted the post that got you a talking to by Kenny and Denis.

I play 1 hour parts on the track, so it's 5 min to start the PC, at least 5 minutes to start steam + rF2 + set the session + on average something like 8-9 minutes to load the track, and finally 2 minutes to adjust the car and let the computer "take over these spirits" after 103 cars loaded, and 5 minutes to quit rF2 and shut down the computer.....

Part of 1H therefore forces me to lose about 25 minutes to do whatever is necessary to play.

So I spend 1/3 of my time doing all this, it's excessive.
Right.

If it takes 5 minutes to start your PC, something is wrong, mine take precisely 6 secs.
Steam takes between 10-20 secs depending on its mood on the first boot, 2-3 secs after that.
Loading rF2 can be slow yes, approx 30-60 secs IIRC.
Loading Nordschleife takes an annoying amount of time yes, but not 8-9 minutes. I tried on my PC and it took 2,5 minutes, then another 2 minutes loading 103 cars. It's still slow though.
Exiting rF2 takes something like 5 secs, not 2 minutes. Exit game and then push the button in the credits.
The stuff taking the longest is loading the track and cars. Nordschleife + 103 cars is the worse combination you can possibly create so it'll take time.
rF2 is terrible when it comes to loading times, but your scenario is the worst possible and your times are far over the top, especially as your specs are better than mine.

In fact it is not healthy to say only good or bad about rFactor 2 in a thread.

It's good to say both and to qualify.

In addition, negative things almost in all the posts it is rather unpleasant and not very fair for rFactor 2, and it lacks nuance.

People should be able to put forward just as much what is good as what is wrong.

I think rFactor 2 is starting to hit a very high level in a majority of areas, and a whole host of things are spoiling the experience unfortunately.

But hey, I'm still in love with rF2 !!

Right.

If it takes 5 minutes to start your PC, something is wrong, mine take precisely 6 secs.
Steam takes between 10-20 secs depending on its mood on the first boot, 2-3 secs after that.
Loading rF2 can be slow yes, approx 30-60 secs IIRC.
Loading Nordschleife takes an annoying amount of time yes, but not 8-9 minutes. I tried on my PC and it took 2,5 minutes, then another 2 minutes loading 103 cars. It's still slow though.
Exiting rF2 takes something like 5 secs, not 2 minutes. Exit game and then push the button in the credits.
The stuff taking the longest is loading the track and cars. Nordschleife + 103 cars is the worse combination you can possibly create so it'll take time.
rF2 is terrible when it comes to loading times, but your scenario is the worst possible and your times are far over the top, especially as your specs are better than mine.
Regarding the loading time, try again with multiclass GT3, GTE, LMP2, LMP3, DPi, Senna, ETCC mod, WTCR mod (tommy 78), BTCC mod for example with 103 AI, maxed graphics exept rain and 1080p, 24H day / night cycle etc. The loading time is incredibly variable, a few times I'm lucky (3-4 minutes, sometimes it's horrible (9-15 minutes), and yes I think on average it's something like between 7 and 9 minutes. It's really too much, even so on a detailed track of 25 km and 103 AI in multiclass it's huge I agree. A loading of 1 minute for the track and 1 minute for the 103 AI woud be fair.

And yes even though I'm on windows in less than 20 seconds, and my PC is fast, I prefer to make sure all programs are running before starting rF2. Setting up a session can take 3-5 minutes actually given the way I use rF2. Once on the track the PC has to recover from these emotions and I load 14 additional AIs which is quite slow in multiclass. Loading rF2 and the UI are quite fast though. quitting rF2 and shutting down the computer takes a little extra 2 minutes The total time is excessive for a one hour session, but I only criticize the loading times (AI and track). Maybe my GPU is too weak for load times?

Last edited:
Which one exactly is "negative" in your view? I can't see a single one in this thread.

Think you need to clean your specs mate ;)

.......................but in terms of CPU, for me no problem in the game, on the other hand the loading times are absolutely SHAME !

See was supposed to be about what you like where that is exactly same statements in the "other" thread ? Surely that's obvious ?

Again do I need to point out not a single person says this uses " some" in their comments when it comes to rF2
rF2 is glacier

Truth is "Some" combos load in seconds
But like always again it will be ignored when you point it out

I have never ever inferred rF2 is the best sim in everything

All I say is the total driving experience like 6 hour WEC race at Virginia ( restarts) or sprint in F3's at Belgium simply overwhelms the bad

The total driving experience in other sims underwhelms the good in them

IMHO again something negative posts in rF2 refuse to use

So beyond best driving experience ( imho )

Climb stairs you can chuckle :) but to me that the engine allows physical interaction with objects is special
No other sim does this

( before you go and tell me in AMS2 you hit historic fencing and it moves is NOT physicals it is canned !

Swapping cars and skins in garage online or using your own server offline to do it...no experience needed just make a rfmod load it and join ( no need for ports either )
No other sim does this
(before you go tell me AC has CM and does roughly ( lol ) the same things is a laugh anyway that is 3rd party, if you want to include 3rd party as some test well GTR2 is the best of all imho )

Changeable car parts wings and other things
No other sim does this

Being able to retain and test as many versions of any content you wish
No other sim lets you do this

I can put more if you like

Now exactly what do other sims have unique to them ? ummmmmm :)

Last edited:
Best thing for me, from a long list, is how well it works in VR. RF2 of all the sims with the possible exception of iRacing performs best in VR.

ACC is very demanding and stuttery for me, and AMS2 looks good, but always leads to me feeling nauseous, I'm not sure why as I have good VR legs.

I find it difficult to understand why some, including moderators, want this thread to receive almost exclusively positive comments, and the "pissed ..." thread to receive almost exclusively negative comments regarding rF2.

The thread I created can (as far as I'm concerned) be used for discussion, as long as there aren't 1000 trolls doing rF2 bashing, that's fine with me.

Anyway I said what I had to say (95% positive), as far as I'm concerned I stop there.

Do the same, it's true that it feels good to say everything that is going well in rF2, but do not censor yourself : if things are not going well, it must be said (ex: the last cloud update is extremely disappointing).

I find it difficult to understand why some, including moderators, want this thread to receive almost exclusively positive comments, and the "pissed ..." thread to receive almost exclusively negative comments regarding rF2.
Because if you look over the various rF2 threads you'll quickly realise that every yay or nay has been gone over and discussed ad nauseam.
Much to the disgust of those trying to actually draw information alluded to in the various threads title.
However you started the thread and chose the title so let's see how it plays out.

The answer is capture image bellow... Some believe that by causing Financial harm to S397 will force Marcel to fix the issues. Which is 50% of what being done in that thread (Causing has much harm as possible).

Base how some posts are written, Some believe that Marcel must answer directly to them. How about the personal attacks and insults they are throwing towards people including Marcel. If you ask me shocking this is being allowed by you.

Kenny monitoring the news threads instead would be the correct thing to do. To me it's simple If core game issues are being argued in content threads (delete them), if content complains are being discussed in core release threads again delete them.

Also nothing wrong with having an rF2 issues thread as long they don't cross the line which some have done multiple times.. May have looked like a good idea for that thread but it lost it's plot along the way.

Which BTW is on special.
( $14.79 CAD, BTW Yet 1 of two rF2 news items again ignore by RD).

Dennis Betty.PNG

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing