PC1 What has happened to online driving standards?

Steve Bird

Come On Williams!
After having the privilege in being part of the WMD community and playing this with the rest of the community in closed alpha/beta it appears that in a single day it's gone from pretty respectable racing community to a "Crash into every opponent at every opportunity" community since release. I've just been in a GT3 race at Imola and I can say, with hand on heart, that it was the worst multiplayer session I've ever had the misfortune to be part off. People purposely trying to trash each other and having zero respect for other players. Shocking.

Edit : Thanks to whoever re-titled this post by the way.

Last edited:
Thats the moment when Racedepartment is a good place to be:)
k7isvKo_zps72a5df53.gif~c200

I was lucky enough to enter a server last night by a guy named Outbreak who had practice and qualify enabled. He was a very good driver and we both qualified at least 5 seconds faster than the hoodlums and we both were lucky enough to not to get rammed on the first corner and had some good battles for 3 races.

The servers that went straight to the race were the usual noob nightmare.

Well, yeah. First off, you were originally racing with people who were likely pretty serious about sim racing and thus raced with some sort of manners. Now you're racing with with a multitude of people, some who take it seriously and some who are casual about it and some who are trying it for the first time and are obviously going to be crap. Some of this will improve over time, some of it won't. Secondly, new people haven't had time to adapt to the physics/ffb or get their settings dialed in so they're probably not driving at their top level just yet. This will partly improve over time, but not fully.

Basically, up until today you were racing with one giant club of like-minded racers with is a bit of an anomaly, so the "online driving standards" were artificially high. Now it's like someone left the gates open and all the riff-raff found their way in so driving standards are lower than average. Eventually this will regress to the mean and you'll have the typical somewhat crappy/somewhat decent online driving standards that are the norm.

I agree with what your saying but when you approach a corner you don't nail the throttle, speed up and take 5 people who are mid corner. It was happening on every corner by multiple idiots. I suppose your right that we have to let it calm down a few days and when RD gets a league and server going then we will be fine.

I agree with what your saying but when you approach a corner you don't nail the throttle, speed up and take 5 people who are mid corner. It was happening on every corner by multiple idiots. I suppose your right that we have to let it calm down a few days and when RD gets a league and server going then we will be fine.

Just remember that some of these people will be freshly graduated Gran Turismo racers and that game teaches you to plow through turns and force your way to the front. It takes a while to unlearn those bad habits. :laugh:

Just remember that some of these people will be freshly graduated Gran Turismo racers and that game teaches you to plow through turns and force your way to the front. It takes a while to unlearn those bad habits. :laugh:
Lets just say that in 75% of the ongoing races right now have a good portion of the drivers going with one of my motoring masters mentality (AS SEEN IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW): "In case of doubt, flat out". So, go flat out every curve and screw the rest ^^

Lets just say that in 75% of the ongoing races right now have a good portion of the drivers going with one of my motoring masters mentality (AS SEEN IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW): "In case of doubt, flat out". So, go flat out every curve and screw the rest ^^

Isn't there some kind of ranking system that will eventually sort some of these problems out (in theory, anyway)?

It will, I believe it will roll soon as the dedicated servers start to come up. But basically all incidents you have in the game now a days, such as hitting in purpose other people, taking corner cuts are already being taken into notice, I guess. That's the idea for the clean driving system that SMS had in mind.

What is the proper etiquette for setting up some informal racing with fellow RD folks?

I want to avoid what Steve is describing but also run a race that is a little longer than your typical wrecker is going to be interested in. Something like: 25 lap, Formula B, no assists, in the rain at Catalunya. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 213 14.4%