What First Car ?

Hi guys,

Its just over a month till im 17 and start my driving lessons, im in need of some Help on choosing my first car that needs to be relatively quick up to my mates!, cheap insurance and I can make look smart without spending a huge amount of money! Like just putting a set of alloys on, a big exhaust and some lowering springs.

I was thinking about a 1992 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2, a Peugot 106 or a Mk1 Renault Clio. Im not sure at the moment and just need some help on what to choose and what insurance companies to use etc.

needs to be relatively quick up to my mates

Will you race illegally !?!
913.gif

dont get a Clio mk1, they're really bad cars, my mate has had 4 and they just fall to bits really easy, Peugeot 106 is a good car depending on how old of a model you get, the later models are the best.

@ Rob: oh right il take the Clio off the list then!!! cheers for ur help!

@ Simon: Yea i know they will but i want something as fast as i can get for the insurance, my mate Pays 1900 for a 1.0 Litre Saxo but I can get insured on a Pug 205 GTI 1.6 for 2300!!! which for 400 seems better to me!

If I were you, I would probably go for a 1.4 Focus. They look real nice with alloys and a new shiny exhaust. Also its a bit different from the standard crowd that go for the Corsa/Clio etc and gives you plenty of performace for your buck (with also a bit more room on the back seat!)

Insurance wise it should be pretty cheap. You need to bear in mind that Insurance companies do take note of what are the most popular cars for young drivers and add extra to their premiums for them - Corsa's and Clio's in particular at the moment.

Be a leader not a follower is what I say. Either way, enjoy whatever you do get!

On the insurance note: Because you'll be a new driver don't get a car bigger than 1.4L otherwise you'll be selling body parts to pay for it.. :p

Trustory, believe me..

If you decided to get a car & insure it then you'll selling something. Plus if you get a Focus pleeease leave it alone, last thing I want to see is a chav-tastic Focus, plus the 1.4 can barely move the thing, I've got a 1.6, love the thing :D

• Ariff Roose

Gotta get a 525i E34 dude. its quick and such an awesome car to be in!!:woot2:

Or a really cheap Mercedes 190E.

Both cars I think - since youre in England - parts will be good

Whut?
Seriously £2300 for insurance?!

I choose to be 18 y.o. without any years without damge
I took a 1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6.
Costs:
€ 580 a year

Now I choose to be 22 y.o. and further same conditions. Got license when I was 18 so, but no years without damage (as I've never insured a car before)..

€ 402 a year

Yeah its very expensive on insurance in UK, i had a Subaru Imprezza Turbo 240bhp, but i have 18 years! no claims bonus and no points on my racing.. oops driving licence. they wanted £950 GBP a year, and thats garaged overnight, private use only, and under 3000 miles a year usage. they only charged £20 extra for the mods, which were a £2000 set of OZ wheels and 4 inch complete exhaust system and ram intake.

Now after not having work for a while, i now got a Golf MkII 1.6 Driver, worth only £300, and they want to charge £300 to insure it.

btw. for a first car, get something cheap, everyone crashes their first car.

1991 Golf II 1.6 GL would be €94 a year here in your situation Gareth.. Tax would be €200 a year

I'm going for a first car as well soon..

And it will be something cheap..

Skoda Felicia, Rover 2xx-series or something.

Felicia has my interest now..

Insurance will be €322 the first year as I don't have no-claim
Tax is €266 as it's only 943kg and running on petrol.

Not too bad I think and it's a car with high usability.

Im liking the Netherlands very much, no wonder everyones nuts about fast cars there. Got any jobs there? i fancy emigrating. no joke btw :struggle:

btw, Skodas are good im told. VW make em. Rovers break down a lot ive heard.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%