What engine do you like in a F1 car and why ?

Dux

Simracer since 99 / 3D Engineer & Game Developer
Me for example i like

10553315_692425604138119_4418885533491758356_n.jpg

or
10502054_692425897471423_3821596826010818132_n.jpg

or
10537382_846370082041760_2687017026490106_n.jpg

Seriously, V6 V8 V10 V12 .....

Though i have never been to an F1 race, for which i deeply deeply deeply, deeply REGRET ( i never had an chance, not money but friends of mine know nothing but football -_- )
However one friend with whom i race in MK said to me in a conversation in a bar, he was like oh i must tell you, what bro, well i was twice, on V8 and V10, V8 you can hear that engine from kilometers! And you hear it like its in front of you and he is 1km down the road, while the V10 .... you dont see the car but everything is shaking already!

I was just sitting and imagining that moment ....

I think ill vote V10

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 161052

V8. I've heard that engine sound before on some YouTube videos.

Any. I don't really care. If it screams, okay. If it doesn't scream, it's okay either.
It shouldn't be complained after all. If you want to hear some screamers then listen to metal music. Or just watch some vintage F1 videos.

The current ones. If you can listen to an engine without having to block some of the sound out with earplugs, what's to point in the others?

Current V6 turbo hybrid. It's the most advanced system, it's somewhat applicable to real life, and is a step in the right direction in terms of the lifecycle of motorsport. It's also got a great sound, as it's not like being stabbed repeatedly in the ears when the cars are going past, however I'd like them to be a little louder and rev a little higher (up to ~18k perhaps).

I like the sound of cars, rather than a fighter jet on steroids strapped to some GRP. I'd like to see F1 as a hardcore LMP1 car, in open wheel format.

I like the high pitch sounds of V10, V12 or even V16 engines. Especially from non-environmental-friendly engines that pop after a qualification or race and need to be renewed/replaced 30 times per season at very high costs and consume 3 liters of high octane petrol per kilometer.

#feelingsentimental

I've liked every engine so far.
My favorite by far was the V10.
I simply love the exhaust note...whether it's shoe-horned into the back of a Carrera GT, Audi or anything else.
It just sounds like no other engine.
I like the current turbo simply because I'm a geek who loves working with turbo technology.
I love driving them. I love tuning them.
I especially like the fact that you can take a small displacement engine and create huge performance simply by cramming it with pressure above atmospheric.
If I had my way, the MGU-K would be off the F1 car though.
I don't mind the MGU-H as it reduces turbo lag.
I do mind the MGU-K as I want all braking done directly by the driver through hydraulics and a pedal....even if it's BBW without the aid of a generator.

Last edited:
I like the current engine a lot! Applies very sensible hybrid technology and has the epic whistle of a turbo. If we lived in a perfect world, I would love a V8 dual turbo with the current hybrid technology and make it a diesel :D:cool:

Definitely not the 2014 vacuum cleaners, I mean V6 turbo hybrids.

I love the 90s V12s the best, but honestly, the very, very best is to have VARIETY. That's why the early 90s were amazing - V8s, V10s and V12s all mixed together, each with not only their own particular sounds, but also with their own characteristics with regards to driving style, power delivery, advantages and disadvantages, etc.

Even the different V12s sounded different (especially if you compare the Honda and the Ferrari). The Williams-Renault V10 also had a distinctive sound compared to other V10s.

The 1995 3.0 L Ferrari V12 sounded insane because of how insanely high it revved (and just the fact that it had the V12 sound), but the 94 (and earlier) 3.5 L Ferrari V12s also sounded insane because, although they had a less high-pitched, lower revving sound than the 3.0 L, they seemed to have an even fuller, "thicker", sound than the 3.0 L. It must have been the extra displacement.

Youtube videos of guys driving these cars hardly give these car/engine sounds justice as the cars seem to always be massively rev-limited, trust me, I've watched a million of them. The only way to get an idea of how TRULY UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING these things really sound is to listen to home video footage from when they WERE actually raced in Formula One. Well.... Here you go :) (action really gets going at 2m 18s :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgSzhkt1Vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YejYI19xGyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMDdQgBI5Hw (listen at 3m 30s, listen how loud the Ferrari becomes before it even comes into view, amazing)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back