What does the RACER community drive?

Just curious. I bought my 1st car last week, a 1996 Plymouth Neon coupe.

0625101743.jpg

0625101745.jpg

Attachments

• 0625101743.jpg
    0625101743.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 641
My father's friend bought himself brand new Porsche Panamera GTS, and today I had chance to sit and drive in it.. that car is just AMAZING! It's fast as hell, looks stunning and that V8 sound... absolutely loved in it. I have some photos, but only exterior - battery in my phone was very low, and I couldn't take interior photos. 200 kilometers per hour it's very easy to do in Panamera, the top speed that we reached today is 240 kph... and it can drive 300 :) But only on race tracks, driving like that on public roads, even autobahns is very unsafe. Anyway, here are photos of it:

Just put new tires on my car.

Sadly, my car had been in a minor accident before I bought it. Whoever repainted the front bumper did it wrong, so it flaked off pretty badly.

544802_4013423580513_883342817_n.jpg

and after 20 minutes with a garden hose

546873_4021223415504_1677245048_n.jpg

I have an appointment near the end of the month to get it repainted, but now I just have to drive in shame...:/

Sadly, my car had been in a minor accident before I bought it. Whoever repainted the front bumper did it wrong, so it flaked off pretty badly.

I have an appointment near the end of the month to get it repainted, but now I just have to drive in shame...:/
I know that feel, of driving a physically damaged car in public, makes you feel bad about it.

546873_4021223415504_1677245048_n.jpg

I did not realise that was actually paint ripped off the car, I though it was really shiny and it was a reflection of some trees or something.

Well, after five hours of work, the car has been washed twice and dried thoroughly. Not sure when we'll get the chance to polish/wax and clean interior... :| X2, as we've got 2 cars. :|

No pictures either. Sorry. :p

Well I think its safe to say that my car is going to be getting a little bit of fame, internet style. a friend of mine helps run allpar.com (a site that covers anything mopar related quite indepth, and as a forum as well), and has some control on the site, has picked me and my PT as a car of the month, at first he wasn't sure what month I'd get, but he told the guy who runs the site and he decided it was to be December.

So basically my friend is writing up the article on me and my PT, and I'm providing him with pictures. And I'll post a link when its up.

They do not make blowers or turbo kits for lots of cars, but people still add them! :p
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fabrication/541544-twin-m90s-under-firebird.html
^^^This guy is insane, but knows how things ought to be done!

Also, unfortunately I have been seeing some unusual tire wear on the front right of my Firebird. I took it in and was told the steering&suspension bits are tight.. except for the large quantity of rust holes in the right strut tower.(I kinda knew about those) So we are pretty sure that is the source. I was hoping it would last longer.

I could weld in a few metal bars around the strut tower but the other side is rusting out as well so I would need to go to town on it too... and to be honest the car would just rust out around any reinforcement anyway.

This is really sad, Firebird has a history of doing highways(or any twisty road) pretty nicely; holding the road as you would expect and not flopping or bobbling around much on it's ancient suspension.

The rust holes make it lighter you know! Until you have a strut go through your hood that is.

Anyway. I guess I am now fast-tracking repairs to the remaining two deer-strike-damaged plastic body panels of my 97 Saturn SW2. Used replacement RR quarter&RR doorskin from a local scrap place would cost as much as a parts car, so I am opting to deal with them myself using a big tube of epoxystuff and donor chunks from the original front fender.
(fender was the only thing I could get new and was not /that/ expensive. Buying local was cheaper than shipping one up from USA)
If I do get a parts car I may opt for unmolested panels, but for now I will try this.

Sorry guys, 586KB of images here. Also, as you can see they are from summer. I have had this car kicking around since then. You can also see that my cat knows what car is more awesome. ;)
azkvxiolxpg06fnaz98.jpg

kqjruhwjqs1zc9x6t3du.jpg

bgsgnyaahb4fzsb4a6wh.jpg

Being that these pictures are old, current status is:
RF fender: replaced.
RF door: leading edge pulled back out to match rest of body.
RR door: cracked, missing small chunk at back.
RR quarter: completely missing lower portion in front of wheel.

The rest of the car looks in really good shape, it has been maintained. And at only 122020 kilometres it is practically new. :p

Kinda wish these panels were metal, then I could break out the welder and be done with it. :thumbsdown:

Sooo. That is my car situation. The days of my 1984 Pontiac Firebird are numbered and quickly running out after it's hard life. Also some dirt roads. ;)

I bet Harey will love that I have an american wagon. :roflmao:

Oh right! specs:

1997 Saturn SW2
1.9L I4 MFI DOHC (LL0)
124 hp (92 kW) at 5600 RPM and 122 lbft (165 Nm) at 4800 RPM
122020 km
Automatic trans
Front disc, rear drums
~2606 lbs?
Power everything, AC, computer everything, etc
Cramped modern engine bay, gonna be annoying to fix.

1984 Pontiac Firebird(base)
2.8L V6 2bbl carb (LC1)
107 hp (79 kW) at 4800 RPM and 145 lbft (197 Nm) at 2100 RPM
206xxx km
Manual trans
Front disc, rear drums
~3060 lbs
Power windows... manual sunroof, no computers!
Engine bay doubles as pre-warmed sleeping compartment on long trips.

I know, haha 4cyl saturn has more horsepower, but if this was a 1985
V6 (LB8) it would be 135hp@5100 and 165lbft@3900 and have electronic
fuel injection. if it was a 97 V6 then 160-200 HP. Also more than a
decade apart of course.
Sure, Firebird makes less HP in comparison to the SW2, but at least you do not have to rev the piss out of it to get it's power. I like that. :) And the torque is fine where it is.
All things considered, what little power my Firebird has left after nearly 30 years is not lacking for street use.

Wow that is a long post; mechanical keyboards will cause that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%