What does the Force Feed back tell me?

Hi, I bought a wheel few months back and never had a chance to play and learn, bought GSC and like it but wasn't sure if I set it up correctly.

Then I looked on the web and people have different opinions on the matter, but to make sure that i'm doing the right thing the first question to ask is

What should I feel?

What is the ffb going to tell me?

What i learnt so far is that the wheel shakes and rumbles according to the road and curbs and that's ok.
Also that the wheel is hard to turn ( according to personal preference) when has grip and become loose when grip is lost ( locking or understeering).

The wheel countersteers if the car is ovesteering and that's another info.

Any other info that the ffb would tell me?

It's probably a dumb question but i couldnt find anything how the ffb works and what it does.

People say that you can fell when the car is on the limit.. how?

If that could be any help i have a fanatec csr ( the forza 4 wheel)

thanks everyone

My best advice for FFB is to not tinker before you have have experienced a specific sim's FFB enough to make a judgment, beyond ensuring you have recommended settings if any and set strength to avoid clipping. If I play AC for a few days then go back to SCE I have an immediate thought of "whats wrong, why doesn't it feel right?" and within a few laps I remember its a totally different feeling.

For what its worth I've tinkered the least with the FFB settings in SCE compared to all other sims and its the most satisfying for me.

That's my problem. Im used to forza 4 and the ffb is too strong. My setting is 40. I just need to practice more with gsce.
I still dont understand the dampening settings though. What does it mean when its 100 or 0? I hope to see csr setting in the forum after next update

I think most of those effects outside of raw gain for the FFB in the wheel drivers is an artificial way to compensate for poor FFB in other games.

Most people I know don't use any canned settings in the wheel driver software. In GSCE most people I think use low effects which means that there are no canned effects produced by the game itself either. This makes it as purely from Realfeel as possible and thats why many love GSCE FFB.

So, without knowing your specific wheel, set the wheel FFB strength to 100%, then set the GSCE strength only high enough to be just below clipping. Sometimes this might involve a slightly higher or lower setting for some cars. Low effect settings in GSCE, and thats it.

What makes GSCE FFB so good is the realfeel so anything else is kind of tainting that output.

And for what its worth, I find the FFB in GSCE to be much lighter than with other sims.

I think most of those effects outside of raw gain for the FFB in the wheel drivers is an artificial way to compensate for poor FFB in other games.

Most people I know don't use any canned settings in the wheel driver software. In GSCE most people I think use low effects which means that there are no canned effects produced by the game itself either. This makes it as purely from Realfeel as possible and thats why many love GSCE FFB.

So, without knowing your specific wheel, set the wheel FFB strength to 100%, then set the GSCE strength only high enough to be just below clipping. Sometimes this might involve a slightly higher or lower setting for some cars. Low effect settings in GSCE, and thats it.

What makes GSCE FFB so good is the realfeel so anything else is kind of tainting that output.

And for what its worth, I find the FFB in GSCE to be much lighter than with other sims.
Thanks. I did few laps with the retro f1 with console enabled and realfeelmix at 0% which i think it means only normal ffb. Between that and my feel set ffb btw 90 and 95 ingame. Below that i can barely feel loss of grip.my wheel is at 100. I getting addicted to the sound of that old car.

Of course i use only low effects
Thanks for your help

Without realfeel the FFB is in my opinion not very good at all. It might be light but thats irrelevant really. Its about the detail its describing with the feedback. If you want a heavy wheel at all costs you're going to get heavy but without the feedback being any good. iRacing has a decently heavy FFB and its crap. GSCE has relatively light FFB compared to many sims but its better FFB than most. Rather like the whole volume wars with CDs in the 90s, where music was louder all the time forsaking dynamic range and people perceived louder as better.

I could find you a thread written by I think Niels (dev for Reiza) talking about how simmers wanting heavy wheels is misguided.

I'm trying to solve the clipping issue on cart extreme. I have a DFGT.

I enabled the console and I think that I see the ffb % and it corresponds to the clipping. I.e. at Fontana, if I stick to first gear, and slow speeds, the maximum number in the console is near 99% and I can pretty much feel the bumps while cornering. When I accelerate up to running speed, I get values of 300%+!!! and that bland ffb with no bumps at all.

Well, I tried to lower gsce in-game ffb strength and the value from the console does not seem to change. And I do detect ffb clipping even at ridiculous low forces. The wheel is extremely light, but while cornering, there are no bumps... As soon the value goes below 100%, then there it appears.

I also tried to lower the ffb maximum force in the logitech profiler, but again, no luck.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to solve the clipping issue on cart extreme. I have a DFGT.

I enabled the console and I think that I see the ffb % and it corresponds to the clipping. I.e. at Fontana, if I stick to first gear, and slow speeds, the maximum number in the console is near 99% and I can pretty much feel the bumps while cornering. When I accelerate up to running speed, I get values of 300%+!!! and that bland ffb with no bumps at all.

Well, I tried to lower gsce in-game ffb strength and the value from the console does not seem to change. And I do detect ffb clipping even at ridiculous low forces. The wheel is extremely light, but while cornering, there are no bumps... As soon the value goes below 100%, then there it appears.

I also tried to lower the ffb maximum force in the logitech profiler, but again, no luck.

Any ideas?
i think that when you are clipping the parameters you can change are in game ffb or MaxForceAtSteeringRack in realfeelplugin.ini related to the mod you are using.
if you install motec for telemetry, run a clean lap without touching curbs and once you open the log file steering arm force is the channel that tells you what MaxForceAtSteeringRack should be.
Hopefully someone will confirm my statement :)

You can use the real feel console that can be enabled in the RealFeelPlugin.ini.

Find the line that says ConsoleEnabled=False and change it to true then drive a lap of a track in windowed mode. Generally you're probably not going to want to go over 80% with most wheels I suspect.
Just saw this. What particular columns do I look out for in the console output? Is it the last column/values, or the fourth w/c shows %? TIA.

If you drove with any other peripheral before and got used to it, I would say, at the start, the ffb will pretty much hold you back and make you miss all your apexes... you would still only rely on visual and sound ques, you will grip the wheel like its a deadly snake, struggling with it, and you will get tired after 2 laps...

Well, that was my experience, but after about a year or 2 I'm finally comfortable with it, atleast in SCE... AC I still don't quite get. It might help if you have ever driven a car in real life or you havent driven before with something even remotely as precise.

All in all, it takes quite awhile to get used to it, and its hard to describe in what way it helps... but it does.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 132 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 140 13.9%