F1 2010 what do you think is most realistic camera view?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I used to play with camera view in which you can´t see any part of car, only track....I wonder if this is realistic...

JAM

Well, I have been trying out the roll bar view today and have to say that it does seem to make a diffefrence to how I drive. I am much more precise with it and seem able to take more speed through some corners (Lesmos at Monza for instance) I guess because I am more able to point the car exactly where I want... now do I abandon cockpit view??

Well, after the discussion on here and trying out the roll bar view yesterday I decided to do a little comparison and started several 50% expert races at Monza last night with both views. I qualified in 6th place on primes and using the roll bar view I got off the line and held position at the start and was holding off the AI behind me but those in front were able to gradually pull away. I felt I was faster using this view but also was more prone to mistakes. Not sure exactly why that is but thought perhaps it was because there is more in the periphery of my vision that was distracting me and causing me to be less consistent with my line. After several starts I was finding exactly the same thing and was dropping back from the leaders and getting really pressured by the AI behind and eventually made too many little mistakes that allowed some of them through and left me back in around 8th-10th place as the race reached the mid point.

Switching to the cockpit view the start of the race was similar and I again held my position at the start but this time the AI in front were not pulling away as easily. I was holding them pretty well for the first 4 or 5 laps and the AI behind although still pressing me were not forcing the mistakes in the same way as when I was in roll bar view. I felt much more in control of the car and although my view of the corners was not as good I was able to maintain a far more consistent spell of driving without making anywhere near the same number of little errors. Just before the halfway point I was battling with Hamilton for second place around the Parabolica (a corner which I was able to take far more comfortably in the cockpit than the roll bar) and although the front runners had all pitted whilst I still had to make my stop I was still far ahead of where I had been at the same point using the roll bar view on any of my previous 3 or 4 attempts.

The roll bar view feels much faster and does allow me to get a better view of braking and turn in points and other things going on around me but at the same time it is perhaps that extra visual information which made me less consistent. Also, my feeling was that the car seemed more unstable from that view… for example braking for the first chicance I would often see the car move about more and therefore I would try to correct it more which often ended in a badly taken chicane whereas in cockpit view that movement seemed less apparent and therefore I was concentrating more on my turn in and taking the corner more cleanly and in control.

Just my quick assessment of how the two driving views differ for me…

Good assessment Peter. Yes I still make mistakes, but I am more consistant in cockpit and I understand that seeing more of the track and car in T-cam view isnt always an advantage for the reasons you mentioned.

But one mans meat is another mans poison, and im sure there are people out there who would find things the other way round.

On a side-note, I did some testing, and this is probably only relevant to PC users, but you actually get more FPS in cockpit view than T-cam.

Cheers Paul,
On the fps issue that surprises me a bit as I thought it was always the other way around.. definitely was with Grand Prix Legends. Cockpit view was much more resource hungry than the roll bar one. Can't remember back far enough for the others though lol.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%