What do you 'mainly' play your PC sims on?

Just a fun poll, but may also come in handy later as a reference guide if everyone participates.

Due to the recent announcement that ACC is to officially support triples and someone mentioning that it will please a very small amount of people (which was also mentioned a while back regarding VR too) I would like to know what people sim race on.

This is multiple choice (2 choices) as I understand that not all games support all formats.

I have not included 2 screens as people using 2 will most likely play on one and have the other for information etc. Same goes for 4 screens, they will play on 3 and have the other for information.

If you have triples but sometimes only use the middle one due to the game not supporting all 3 then please pick triples and not triples plus monitor. The same if your middle monitor is an ultra wide, plus 2 smaller on the outside.

For transparency I mainly use VR, but have just bought an ultra wide for the odd game that doesn't support it.

So go on cast your vote.

[QUOTE = "odiopower, message: 3094853, membre: 551276"]
Utilisez-vous Nvidia ou AMD? [USER = 197184] @ sp65 [/ USER]
[/CITATION]
Nvidia gtx1080ti

Upvote 0
Just pointing out that, for some reason, the figures in the poll don’t work. If you add up the percentages they come to 113.7% and although it says 263 votes, the actual total is 299 (as at 13 Feb, 11:59 am). I’d still be amazed if even 36% of sim racers used VR.

Upvote 0
Super Ultrawide 49 inch. Can't live without my Trackir!!!

Ultrawide
Trackir
4 bass shakers via simhub (one more bass shaker on the way in the mail. That will be mounted under my wheel plate. I'm thinking engine + gear shifts. Or wheel lock, wheel slip and gear shifts. We shall see this weekend)
Tablet and cell phone running sim dashboard

Its not VR.... Its not a full motion rig.... Its definitely not a real car... But still very immersive for my needs

Upvote 0
Just pointing out that, for some reason, the figures in the poll don’t work. If you add up the percentages they come to 113.7% and although it says 263 votes, the actual total is 299 (as at 13 Feb, 11:59 am). I’d still be amazed if even 36% of sim racers used VR.

In the small circles I see represented on Discord and FB, VR does appear to be grabbing market share. I see many posts about what to buy and how much people love VR and will never go back to screens. There are outliers who can't get comfortable in VR, and another group who either can't deal with the loss of resolution or have real life constraints like infants and toddlers that they have to be able to see easily while driving.

There are two groups I see regularly.

1. Regulars in iRacing which means they are willing to pay for a subscription and content so they are putting in the time and consider this a priority. Lots of Rift, Rift S, and some others.

2. High End Rig owners. These guys are running 2080Ti's with Index, Reverb, or Pimax headsets depending on their priorities. Lots with Index and Reverb right now, but lots of interest and pre-orders for the new Pimaxes being released shortly.

In terms of total sim racers out there, these guys don't represent the masses. Given iRacing has ~100K users right now and the high end sim rig group is much smaller. Combined with the fact that some sim titles sell 1-2M copies, I would say that what I've seen represents under 10% of the market.

Upvote 0
I don’t doubt for a moment that VR adoption is on the rise. But I think it’s more wishful thinking than reality to believe that it’s starting to take over in any meaningful way in gaming generally or sims specifically based on anything other than just apocryphal data.

Upvote 0
I don’t doubt for a moment that VR adoption is on the rise. But I think it’s more wishful thinking than reality to believe that it’s starting to take over in any meaningful way in gaming generally or sims specifically based on anything other than just apocryphal data.

Agreed. It is a long term trend and not an over night switch. It's both too expensive to be an overnight phenomenon and the technology is still advancing rapidly making it an expensive proposition. We still haven't hit the full trifecta yet ( high resolution, wide field of view and high frame rate ).

My guess is that we are still at least two years away from having headsets capable of all 3 and even further before we have PC hardware capable of driving them well in a sim.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Anything but sims (racing/flying) in VR is just a novelty that quickly wears out.
And natural selection is taking care of the die hard VR only enthusiasts playing anything else. :D

Upvote 0
I can understand people trying VR racing and not getting on with it due to motion sickness or some other actual reason, but I'll never understand it when people agree how amazing and immersive it is then say they're going back to 2D because the IQ is better. I've got a 50" 4k monitor and no amount of 2D detail will ever be able to compete with the real-life scale and proper object separation of stereoscopic 3D and the freedom of 360 degree vision. VR is the stuff of fantasy for sim racing and I'm absolutely flabbergasted that adoption rates aren't higher. 2D racing feels like such a lifeless and insipid experience by comparison, like controlling an avatar through a letterbox instead of actually being the driver.

Upvote 0
I can understand people trying VR racing and not getting on with it due to motion sickness or some other actual reason, but I'll never understand it when people agree how amazing and immersive it is then say they're going back to 2D because the IQ is better. I've got a 50" 4k monitor and no amount of 2D detail will ever be able to compete with the real-life scale and proper object separation of stereoscopic 3D and the freedom of 360 degree vision. VR is the stuff of fantasy for sim racing and I'm absolutely flabbergasted that adoption rates aren't higher. 2D racing feels like such a lifeless and insipid experience by comparison, like controlling an avatar through a letterbox instead of actually being the driver.

I agree completely, but people don't all have the same opinions.

Upvote 0
Late to this poll. I'm only on a 27" screen and I've gotten too use to running "the correct FOV". I can't begin to tell you how much of a PITA tight corners are on that screen. I want to do triple 1080p screens but I am sure my 1070 would go on strike if I attempt it. Either that or I would have to set every game to Atari 2600 settings, just to keep the framerates up.

Upvote 0
A quick bump to get it up to date, with the released of the HP G2 and Oculus Q2

I have changed my vote to VR only as i only use my Ultra for 2d games (like CoD:WZ) and have not sim raced in over a year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was on a 34inch ultrawide but now HP Reverb G2, when the next gen of GPUs come out I will upgrade from my 2080ti and hopefully be able to run all the detail possible! FOV is not an issue, never get motion sickness but I do like a good graphics fidelity and for VR it can be tricky I would love it to be a max it all out set and forget experience but it's not possible even with a 3090 I suppose

Upvote 0
I'm using a 35" widescreen, don't have room for triple screens, and do love VR buy I love ACC more, and it doesn't love VR :(
When VR gets better screen technology and works flawless with my SIM of choice. I wouldn't bother with screens any more

Upvote 0
Honestly now that I beat HL Alyx, I don't see myself using the VR for anything but racing and Beat Saber. I saw videos of Pavlov VR and I just literally heard the sound "Meh" in my head. I think the fact that it's very hard to simulate actually moving in physical space is the limitation. There's VR treadmills and stuff like that on the rise, but cost or execution will always be the biggest issue with it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back