What do you look for when buying a rig?

Hi,

I have joined this forum yesterday and already have received some great feedback about potential accessories for a race rig. I am now looking at a couple of different rigs but wondered what you guys look for in buying a new rig?

What are the top three things you would consider when looking at rigs. I'm currently reviewing the following:

Overall looks / Price / ergonomics / stability / quality / ease of use / dimensions / available accessories / different seating positions / brand?

Some of the rigs im looking at are the P1-X / Trak racer TR160 / TR80 / TRS6 and Rseat N1

Interested to know what top three things you look or if theirs something else I am missing?

I´ll support the aluminium profile rig idea.

That is so true, most rigs are evolving over time and the aluminium rig "grows" with you.

My selfbuilt profile rig has grown with a shifter mount, monitor mount and mouse and keyboard holders over the last 8 month.

It developed from a wheel/seat/pedal holder which was dragged in front of the TV and connected to the PS4 using my movie 6.1 setup to a complete cockpit with integrated tripple monitor mount and 5.1 sound powered by a PC.

All was achieved by adding more profiles which i luckily was given by my best friend who salvaged a shop shelf system and had dozens of meters lying around.

But i can be done as easyly when you have to buyorder the profiles.

Another plus is that when you go crazy and go the direct drive route your rig will be solid enough for that to!

MFG Carsten

The key thing is, what is Edith's position on all this?

Upvote 0
I did something completely different for my pedals.

Profile is just a big erector set to play with :)

Isolatedfootplate_4824.jpg

Upvote 0
For some reason I could not include the last photo which I think is a good example for the versatility I was searching for. After upgrading to HE Sprints I felt my left-foot heel needed more support "on the back". So I took what I had to construct a heel support. With 80/20 everything is so easy. Also note the support for the left food for long straights. It's a little bit angled as it felt better.

View attachment 399833

"...Also note the support for the left food for long straights."

When I'm racing, my food never lasts a whole lap... it's gone before the long straight. ( :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mark... just wanted you to know... I HATE all you folks with these amazing rigs. There, I said it. :) I feel better now.

Awesome!

Just know that some of us are never done with them!

I have a BK-CT coming today and am currently setting up a fan just over my SC2 and I have my clutch pedal plate off because I'm planning to mold some Epoxy to fit over it so I can shape it a bit differently.

The way rigs get nice is through perseverance.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, some really good points raised here.

Reading over the comments it seem like have a stable rig seems to be one of the biggest factors when looking to buy something. Also having a mind on future proofing for upgrades so as direct drive.

does the overall look of the rig or upfront costs come into play at all? is this something you guys considered?

Also something else I have been looking at is the driving position. Id like to try some F1 style cockpits but also GT. It seems like there is a limit on what driving positions some rigs can achieve. What do you guys do to work around this?

Upvote 0
Appearance came into it a little for me at the start, but although i love the 8020 rig I do think for an outsider they'd just see a massive black metal beast and not take it in.

Everyone I read when deciding took rigidity as being key. A rig should be able to last for many years (with modifications as you go if desired) and take higher quality gear. I've started with a premium rig and paired it with the middle of the road fanatec gear. In a couple of years I might upgrade either the pedals or wheelbase. Having a rig that can adapt and also is strong enough makes that a single item decision rather than thinking I can't upgrade to Direct Drive without also upgrading the rig.

Upfront cost should always come into the decision on what you buy. If money is no object then well done, enjoy, and don't worry about this choice as if it's wrong you can always start again. That's not reality for 99% of us. I'm a little older (Mid 40'S) than some on here so my budget was a bit looser, but I still took budget into consideration otherwise I'd have easily spent £5k - £6k without considering motion. I didn't spend close to that, have a great setup and can grew it as i want.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

does the overall look of the rig or upfront costs come into play at all? is this something you guys considered?
Appearance is one thing that stopped me from buying 80/20 rig originally many years ago, too much untidy DIY look to my taste, so I went for RSeat.
But things changed since then, sim-lab started using black anodized profile and with all their custom designed brackets and proper cable management thing looks cleaner and more professional than RSeat or any other non profile rig.
And flexibility when you can adjust everything that it feels just right while remaining rock solid is world apart from what RSeat could offer.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back