What do you do for fun?

Being a big sim racer fan, Assetto Corsa is obviously high on my list of titles, especially since VR has brought a whole new level of immersion for me, and AC being one of the better VR racing titles. However we know the career mode is a non starter.

So my question is how do you use the game to extract as much fun as possible, I'm mainly talking offline races here, with so many mods, tracks and cars available I seem to find myself lost within it all and as a result left wondering what to do, ironic since there is SO MUCH to do in actual fact. I do some offline random races, trackdays mostly at Spa, RBR and various other F1 tracks. But i'm finding myself in the menu more wondering than within a cockpit of a car. Really looking forward to what you guys do, especially any out of the box ideas people have done with this title.

Being a big sim racer fan, Assetto Corsa is obviously high on my list of titles, especially since VR has brought a whole new level of immersion for me, and AC being one of the better VR racing titles. However we know the career mode is a non starter.

So my question is how do you use the game to extract as much fun as possible, I'm mainly talking offline races here, with so many mods, tracks and cars available I seem to find myself lost within it all and as a result left wondering what to do, ironic since there is SO MUCH to do in actual fact. I do some offline random races, trackdays mostly at Spa, RBR and various other F1 tracks. But i'm finding myself in the menu more wondering than within a cockpit of a car. Really looking forward to what you guys do, especially any out of the box ideas people have done with this title.
I've been creating and competing in offline championships, for instance a Formula Hybrid series with non current F1 liveries, and a massive touring car championship built of multiple localised cups, etc. Thinking of creating some one-makes too, like with the country liveries for the KTM X-Bow R.

I seem to find myself lost within it all and as a result left wondering what to do, ironic since there is SO MUCH to do in actual fact.
Oh god do I know this feeling. It's like the cliché of the woman standing in front of her mountains of clothes going "I have nothing to wear!". You scroll through your list of mods and when you finally decide, you already have the urge to drive something different.

I too have created my own offline Championships. I find it quite fun going through their regs and schedules and creating a whole season including weather, although sometimes I'm missing the odd track (or a usable version of a track) and have to swap that out. Not in AC, but in AMS I once made my own carreer mode, starting in Karts and setting myself goals to achieve to ba able to advance to the next series, with occasional invitational events in between. (BTW Billy Strange is planning something similar but more in depth in GTR2 on his Youtube channel)

For the last weeks I have mainly driven historic content. I now get my GT fix from ACC, so it's a nice balance. From trying to get first clean and later fast laps in challenging cars (Hello Mercedes W125 :)) to the odd single race. I tried to do a historic offline championship as well but I'm again stuck at point one where I'm not sure what it should be :)

Well, I guess I get the most fun from taking my real Alfa Romeo Spider out to a real mountain road and driving at a "sporting pace."
But when it's too hot, or too cold for top-down driving I like the vintage content in AC and especially Power and Glory. My idea of sim heaven would be a synthesis of the best of AC, GTL, and P&G.

I stick to hotlapping and mod stuff. The AI arent worth racing and MP is not really feasible without Minorating so I mostly stick to skinning, testing mod cars and hot laps. There is still a lot to enjoy just with those things but I still feel the loss of Minorating as the most fun to be had is in multiplayer competition (for me.)

Since I miss the competition with driving mods I mostly run the special events trying to achieve the gold or platinum medal. This will keep me running for the next 5 years I guess. :O_o:
On the other hand I mostly set CM to randomize the track and car and do some track day fun with the matching car and era classes. :ninja:

Well, building cars is one way I enjoy it.
But apart from that I also simply like testing combos and cars. Nordschleife is my go to track, but recently I found much fun treating all the "drift spots" as tarmac rally stages for vintage cars like the Skoda or Alfa.

I am a little hardware limited right now...can't wait till my rig is usable

I find this problem occurring more and more lately, especially since stopping league racing. When I still did that, I knew I had a set target to practice for, and it gave me a proper direction in terms of racing, instead of "driving around pointlessly".

But the hours required for that started to take its toll, as well as the politics, and I moved to offline-only since about mid-2018. Since then, I've been largely aimless, jumping between pointless lapping in various games, to F1 2018/19 career mode (with endless frustration due to staleness of career mode and unrealistic facets thereof), Assetto Corsa career and ACC (which has something that annoys me every time I try it, even if I know it will get there eventually). Even Grand Prix 4 gets a spin from me every now and then, mainly because of the nostalgia factor and the era in which it is placed, as well as awesome mods (1994 and 2006/7 being my favorites).

Lately I've settled on a particular format that I have decided on in order to maximise enjoyment, and which I want to try in ACC as well soon: F1 2019 Grand Prix mode with dry only weather and calendar reversed.

The basic premise is:
- 102 AI, so that it's not too hard as I don't want to spend 1 hour practicing beforehand.
- Calendar reversed, because I must've done more laps at Melbourne/Bahrain/China than I really care for, due to restarts of seasons over the years. Thus, I start in Abu Dhabi as round 1 and end in Melbourne.
- Dry weather only - see point 1 for reason. It's not implemented realistically anyway.
- Start from the back for maximum overtaking.
- Have to pit at least 3 times.
- No overtakes on lap 1 - as you know, lunging 4-6 AI on lap 1 isn't exactly an art form. This produces more real overtakes (sad about DRS though - another reason I revert back to GP4 once in a while).
- No flashbacks (goes without saying).
- Sim damage, so I can't take unrealistic risks.
- No safety car.

This way, I get as much action as I can in 90 minutes. It sounds boring on paper, but it's a concept that works for me.

EDIT: Never saw this was in the AC only forum.

Last edited:
Historic all the way, the simpler the car the better. Although I will make exceptions, especially with the fantastic "new" Skippy, just love that car.
I do a lot of races against the AI too but always start in the back.
I have to say though the best drives are just hotlaps and trying to stay on the track at speed at the old Spa in the early F1 cars.
Right now waiting for that French track in the country:Fonteny 26 Km by Fat-Alfie, because I know David will do such a great job.

I let the randomise feature in CM spark my creativity. Meaning I randomise the car and track and then setup a scenario based on the result, a scenario which I then devote a decent amount of time to. This gets me driving cars I might not otherwise choose and learning tracks/routes that I don't know.

It's important to spend time on each scenario though, as I agree that otherwise you end up spending the majority of your time just sifting through the setup options, doing a couple of laps and then going... "Ooo, I wonder what that would be like at night and in a Caterham etc. etc."

I've set up manufacturer races, around the smaller circuits, 4-6 laps depending on circuit and mainly UK based ones and will try all of the different cars in race. For example a Mclaren race with the P1, 570s, 675lt, 720s and mp4 around Croft or Donnington. Then do the same with Lotus, (plenty of cars there), all non race car. Ferrari, porsche, etc. Then mixed races depending on power output, etc. Tend to do same with GT4, BTCC and Ginetta Supercup mod too. The new GT5 Ginetta is great fun.

AI races in Assetto Corsa CAN be great fun but it takes a bit of effort with Content Manager to get the balance just right.

I like vintage cars around shorter tracks.
Try the Honda S800 around Croft.
Or the new Mini Cooper around Oulton Park Fosters.

Great fun.

I also have to say it's the Nordschleife trackday, I've been doing it occasionally for a while and I'm now usually one of the fastest drivers, but I don't mind the slower drivers and take care passing the nicely.

I love running @Stereo 's Formula Ford in a fair-sized field pretty much anywhere. When I'm in the mood for something more modern I love a good large-field battle in an hour long race at Spa in the GT3 cars (yea yea I know, everyone does that). With the AI turned up and starting from mid pack I find it to be a very satisfying experience, though. Always come out of it drenched in sweat. The RSS GT pack is also fantastic for this, especially since I prefer the sequential over paddles.

Just for fun ? ... read the comments about GTR3 ! :roflmao::roflmao: ... but only read !
Better be busy with GTR2 ... but mainly not to drive it ... and still learning many things ... trying to apply them the best I can.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 316 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%