What do these parameters mean in defviews.cam?

Hi~all:
Anybody know what all the parameters mean in defviews.cam?
Is there any guideline for these ?
Thank you!

LocalCam=COCKPIT
{
Fov=(82.500000, 62.00000)
Clear=FALSE
Color=(164, 218, 249)
ClipPlanes=(0.17500, 500.000000)
LODMultiplier=(1.00000)
MipmapLODBias=(0.000000)
Size=(1.000000, 1.000000)
Center=(0.500000, 0.500000)
Flags1=(0)
Flags2=(0)
RadiusLimits=(0.000000, 0.000000)
OrientationRate=(999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000) // (pitch, yaw, roll) higher = less effect
PositionOffset=(0.000000, 0.00000, 0.0000000) //(Left-Right, Up-Down, Back,Forward)
OrientationOffset=(-0.070000, 0.000000, 0.000000)
Radius=(0.000000)
}

FOV= Refers to "Field Of View" of the camera lens. High numbers= wide / Low numbers= narrow.
Color= Adds color balance using an RGB value.
ClipPlanes= How far away from the car the scene will be rendered. Area outside of this radius is clipped.
LODMultiplier= Greater number = less objects(?)
MipMapLODBias= Lower numbers = sharper surfaces / Higher numbers = blurrier surfaces.
Flags1 & 2= Turns off special camera types like (2) chase, (1) auto zoom and (4) shake per FOV.

X = the x-axis or a coordinate measured along the x-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system
Y = the y-axis or a coordinate measured along the y-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system

Below is a screen capture of one of the Sim tracks I am working on. In this case:
Y (green)= North
X (red) = East
Z (blue)= Vertical
Where they intersect= 0,0,0
XYZ example.jpg

Last edited:
Hi~gwaldock:
Thank you so much, and I think many people at RD will look forward to your new track.
You are welcome. I learned a few years ago that nearly all 3D rendering & programming is X,Y,Z based.

I am working on several tracks. If I find myself "rushing" a project (in the interest of simply getting it off my plate) I will revisit another that I am not bored with. I have been focused on the one in the screen capture because a historically important portion of it was destroyed in a recent wildfire and I wish to bring it back to life.

X = the x-axis or a coordinate measured along the x-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system
Y = the y-axis or a coordinate measured along the y-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system

Below is a screen capture of one of the Sim tracks I am working on. In this case:
Y (green)= North
X (red) = East
Z (blue)= Vertical
Where they intersect= 0,0,0
?
I do not think that is how they work in this case here!
As I understand it the ClipPlans define what gets rendered this view.
You have to look at it like ClipPlanes (Xy, Xx,Xz, Yy, Yx,Yz) but since they got same value in all direction
it is just written X,Y
X : Everything of lower value X do not get rendered . Easy to see by making it larger you will cut away the cockpit or cars parts for outside view.
Y : Rendering max distance. Track objects still gets rendered on longer distance as you got another ClipPlane(X, Y) in the .trk file. which by the way you should set to crazy long like (0.5 , 1000000000000000) on modern computers as it can reduce simmering and textures popping in.
You wrote it right in post #2.
ClipPlanes= How far away from the car the scene will be rendered. Area outside of this radius is clipped.

LODMultiplier= Greater number = less objects(?)
Greater number means the Mips maps gets used on longer distance than default.
So larger numbers lower FPS But maybe better clarity. To high a value and you get real low fps and simmering textures. Try +5 on a demanding track and you got a simmering slideshow!
Not sure it is the same as "World details Bias" in advanced settings but I got that at 125%
Only the second figure get used, As the first vertical gets calculated from the display resolution.

Should have put it in better order

?
I do not think that is how they work in this case here!
As I understand it the ClipPlans define what gets rendered this view.
You have to look at it like ClipPlanes (Xy, Xx,Xz, Yy, Yx,Yz) but since they got same value in all direction
it is just written X,Y
X : Everything of lower value X do not get rendered . Easy to see by making it larger you will cut away the cockpit or cars parts for outside view.
Y : Rendering max distance. Track objects still gets rendered on longer distance as you got another ClipPlane(X, Y) in the .trk file. which by the way you should set to crazy long like (0.5 , 1000000000000000) on modern computers as it can reduce simmering and textures popping in.
You wrote it right in post #2.

Greater number means the Mips maps gets used on longer distance than default.
So larger numbers lower FPS But maybe better clarity. To high a value and you get real low fps and simmering textures. Try +5 on a demanding track and you got a simmering slideshow!
Not sure it is the same as "World details Bias" in advanced settings but I got that at 125%
Only the second figure get used, As the first vertical gets calculated from the display resolution.

Should have put it in better order
Thank you for a more precise answer. My primary tools are 3DSimEd and BTB and that is how they work. In the attempt to avoid verbosity my answer was probably unhelpful.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 135 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing