What computer to buy for PC racing?

Hey guys. I recently got a free computer from my job. It was a rather old design, but I thought if I ONLY used it for GTR-Evo and online racing it would work just fine. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case as the machine couldn't even handle a demo of GTR-2.

Anyhow, I really want to get into PC racing. Although I'm not fully ready to give up my console (Xbox 360). Though I've found out that I no longer play any games besides racing games. I'm just hooked on the stuff. So I thought it was time to take it to the next level, and even the console guys know where the real racing is at.

So I'm looking to buy another computer. Now, I don't have thousands of dollars to pour into this, so I'm looking at some machines on E-bay. I was hoping that maybe some of you guys could scout some computers for me and tell me what's really going to handle these games at a good level and at an affordable price. I've posted a link below. It would help greatly if some of you could list the specs of your computers and tell me how the game plays on it.

Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to purchase until early fall. Maybe October. So hopefully I'll be in time for at least some of the championships RD will host.

Anyhow, here's the link to the seller I would like to buy from. Please take a look at his stuff and let me know if and what's good. Also, my price range is from $400.00 to $800.00 USD... (please don't laugh at my small budget :weep: )

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=427992&styleid=107&siteid=0

Thanks!!!!:bang:

Without the screen for 650-800$ you should be able to build a decent games machine in the US... I mean build yourself, not pay some brand to put the parts together (most likely a mix of old & new).

If you never done it, find a friend or work colleague who knows a thing or two and ask for his/her help... Another way is to read over the iNet, since you are only buying something next fall, you have time until then to become a parts expert :wink2:

You need:

• MB, CPU, RAM, GPU card…
  • Most likely you also need, HD, sound card and PSU…
  • You can take from that old PC from work, HD (likely), case (box) and perhaps PSU…

Btw, for the price range you give and the store you come up, noon of those computers would run Evo decently... unless you bring the Gfx of the game down (very down).

Without the screen for 650-800$ you should be able to build a decent games machine in the US... I mean build yourself, not pay some brand to put the parts together (most likely a mix of old & new).

If you never done it, find a friend or work colleague who knows a thing or two and ask for his/her help... Another way is to read over the iNet, since you are only buying something next fall, you have time until then to become a parts expert :wink2:

You need:

• MB, CPU, RAM, GPU card…
  • Most likely you also need, HD, sound card and PSU…
  • You can take from that old PC from work, HD (likely), case (box) and perhaps PSU…

Btw, for the price range you give and the store you come up, noon of those computers would run Evo decently... unless you bring the Gfx of the game down (very down).

Wow, very helpful post. What price range do you think would get a quality computer for EVO then? Like, how much did yours cost, if you don't mind sharing that information. I saw you in the F30000 championship and you never seemed to have any problems, so I take it your equipment is really good.

Mrkavanagh, thanks for your post. I'll look at that site for sure!

I have to disagree with you João, even the first PC (AZZA Orion) on that list had enough specs to run evo smoothly. It just need a decent GPU which isn't easy to find with the micro-atx form. But the specs are enough. If i can do it with single core AMD 2500+ (graphics on medium) the 3GHz dual core certainly will do it.. Like Danny said he's looking for a dedicated machine that has nothing else on its hands but Evo so it doesn't need to be a monster like many of you have..

Are you looking at the same list as i? The second one (AZZA Phantom) is more than enough, Evo isn't really that heavy..

But there i agree that if you build it yourself then there will be no bottlenecks and the overall cost will be smaller. Not much but then you can have a PC that is tailored for a specific purpose. There is still the steering wheel and a good monitor to purchase :)

Ye those $500 will run Evo smooth , but with only a 8600GT or 9500GT it won't be very future proof at all and won't run more demanding games very well.

The other thing is with these systems is they normally come with cheap PSU's ( Power Supply's ) which could cause problems down the line.

Are you capable of building your own system? or will it have to be pre-built? Or can you like do upgrades? Because one of those pre-built systems with a video card and PSU update would be fine if you can't build from scratch and will keep your budget under $801.

Ye those $500 will run Evo smooth , but with only a 8600GT or 9500GT it won't be very future proof at all and won't run more demanding games very well.

The other thing is with these systems is they normally come with cheap PSU's ( Power Supply's ) which could cause problems down the line.

Are you capable of building your own system? or will it have to be pre-built? Or can you like do upgrades? Because one of those pre-built systems with a video card and PSU update would be fine if you can't build from scratch and will keep your budget under $801.

I suppose I could learn how to build my own computer, seeing that everyone says that doing that keeps the price down and the quality up.

Does anyone have a link to a site that sells the parts I need?

I suppose I could learn how to build my own computer, seeing that everyone says that doing that keeps the price down and the quality up.

If you want to buy full build then upgrade you can get this:

$600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113102

And then any 2 of these cards:

hd4870 1gb ( $130 after mail-in rebate )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161269

gtx260 216 core ($155 after mail-in rebate )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121316

With this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012
$50.

Pc has Q8300, 6gb DD3 with 64bit Vista then add those above and it will run any game out there, and within your $800 limit, and is easily upgradable in future if needed.

Can make a list of parts separate for you to build from scratch to.

...What price range do you think would get a quality computer for EVO then? Like, how much did yours cost, if you don't mind sharing that information. I saw you in the F30000 championship and you never seemed to have any problems, so I take it your equipment is really good.

Well, I'm in the EU, so prices over here are a bit higher (helped by the $ losing some ground to the € in the past years) so they shouldn't be more than a small guideline to you...

When I build a system to anyone (family, friends and myself) I usually aim for the middle and cost effective solutions. So normally I'm building systems around 600€ to 1000€ (800$ to 1400$) but this vary with what is the aim of the computer and the amount of parts it can be utilized from older computers.

In my home there are a few computers... but those who interest you for this, the games ones, are more or less in this link

http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr...7-freeze-your-pc-sometimes-28.html#post354500

My systems aren't built to be the best, that would be too expensive to my taste. I usually aim for the middle of the field, not the cheapest parts (those usually are old technology or "7th choice parts"), nor to the most expensive since this have a very small marginal gain price/performance wise.

Sometimes I do spend a bit more money in a part (above average) if it just gives me the possibility to upgrade at low cost a year from the date of building the system (it can happen with motherboards).

That’s the big, big advantage for the consumers on the PC market, it is an open market (unlike the consoles for instances), so you can save many €/$/£, so yes, build your systems if have time for it.

Since you are in the US (I presume, since you type in $) you have a vast choice…

A few years back the site below was a true main stream Mecca for those who wanted to lose some time reading about hardware, tests and how-to’s. With the years, the rats-race has intensified and now we are no longer sure of who pays what :wink2: But anyway, it’s a good start, just don’t be turned away with the big amount of information and as always, look for other sources

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

With the randomness that is customs taxes here at EU for things that come from US from about a decade ago I gave up of ordering direct from US, so I can’t point (or I shouldn’t) to a good parts store over there (but I’m sure there are many).

Here what I do is that I use a trusty local store (Lisbon) to check the prices and to actually buy there those where the price difference and technology don’t justify an EU purchase (UK, Germany).
For the rest, I also have a “trusty” “foreign” store, in my case, an UK store (with the latest crisis the £ went to favorable values to the €) who never fails me in more than 15 years of ordering at distance (mail, iNet).

Long post, sorry, in short:

• Read about the technology,
  • Learn,
  • Select the products that interest you,
  • Check iNet prices,
  • Check local store prices,
  • If they are too high or too old, we (you) don’t have to pay for their inefficiency, so buy those who are non attractive locally at distance (different state),

good hunting :wink2:

Thanks for all the HIGHLY informative material, fellas. I'll study this stuff throughout the summer. Hopefully I'll be ready and able to make a purchase and compete in the RD fall/winter championships now :)!!!

Thank you all! (And special thanks to both Damian and Joao, your posts have really pointed me in the right direction.)

Danny, I'm more than happy to help explain how to build your PC with a chat over Xbox live sometime if it will help, I've recently done a similar excercise to the one you are looking to undertake. I would also highly recommend you follow Damians advice when it comes to parts etc too, the man is a genius at finding quality equipment at a bargain price!

Danny, I'm more than happy to help explain how to build your PC with a chat over Xbox live sometime if it will help, I've recently done a similar excercise to the one you are looking to undertake. I would also highly recommend you follow Damians advice when it comes to parts etc too, the man is a genius at finding quality equipment at a bargain price!

I might take you up on that offer if I have any specific questions. Right now I'm already reading tutorials and I'm about to start watching some step-by-step videos on the subject. But the more info the better!

So, you've also converted to a PC racer, huh? I remember you talking about that in the Race Pro section, but you said you didn't have enough money. Glad to see your fortunes have changed. Perhaps we can both race in the winter championships!!! All that new fangled team and multiple division stuff looks out of this world. O_O

I might take you up on that offer if I have any specific questions. Right now I'm already reading tutorials and I'm about to start watching some step-by-step videos on the subject. But the more info the better!

the hardest part is fitting the CPU and cooler/fan, the rest it pretty straight forward. good luck with your project :good:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 364 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 507 39.1%