What are your favourite and least favourite corners on the Snaefell Mountain Course?

Discussion in 'TT Isle of Man - The Game' started by ChickenBoy18, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +33
    Some corners on this track are - obviously - more enjoyable to ride than others. There are some where I feel like I can attack them, but others where I always mess up and hate riding.

My top three favourite corners are:

3) Glen Helen: I love the left hander near the end. If you get your line perfect it’s possible to do it in third gear, sparks flying where you’re leaning the bike down. It’s a corner and section that you can make up lots of time on if you flow through correctly and the last left hander is crucial for this.

2) Brandish Corner: This is the long, sweeping 6th year left hander after the Creg. It’s not the most challenging but there’s just something satisfying about taking a corner at 170mph.

1) Quarry Bends: This is the right left right left on the way to Sulby straight. If you get these perfect it can shave seconds off your lap time. On the way down from Ballaugh I brake at the last possible second to knock it down to 5th for the first right hander. Then I use engine braking, feathering the throttle for the crucial left hander, keeping it in 5th. You need to nail this left, as it sets you up for the next right left, which are both taken flat out as you head towards the fastest part of the course.

Honourable mention: Cronk Urleigh, the sweeping left handers before the run down to Douglas Road Corner before you head through Kirkmichael.

My least favourite corners are:

3) Union Mills: Well not technically Union Mills itself, but the left hander at the crest of that hill that you hit at top speed. I’ve had so many accidents there.

2) Waterworks: These are the two right handers after the Ramsey Hairpin on the run up to the Gooseneck and the mountain. It’s so easy to try and carry too much speed into these and very hard to ride them right.

1) Cruickshanks: This is that awful right hander up May Hill after the Parliament Square corner in Ramsey, just before the hairpin and the mountain. I’ve had more crashes here than I can count. It’s just so slippery and the bike always ends up sliding with those weird animations. Nowadays I take it at super slow speed in 1st just to make sure I done slide off. I despise this corner.

So, what are your favourite and least favourite corners or parts of the track? This image should help you with corner names if you’re not sure: https://goo.gl/images/uDYNg5

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pk500

pk500

Ratings:
    +20
    I know it's cliche, but hauling ass down Bray Hill into Quarterbridge without lifting still supplies an incredible thrill. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah can’t disagree with that. I usually have a little lift tbh if I’m not going from a standing start as I have a habit of crashing at Bray Hill if I go flat, but it’s good fun. Ballascary is another fun corner when you get your peel in point right and do it flat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +260
    Master Chicken I have to wholeheartedly agree with Cruickshanks and Union Mills I LOATH those corners!! I also am not fond of the left hander after Cruickshanks and there's a couple of right handers in the section after that hairpin a bit after Cruickshanks that I hate. I have a love/hate relationship with sulby bridge too, every 10 laps or so I just miss my braking point and it's game over man.

as for corners I love....well as mentioned Bray Hill (the start in general) is a standout, but in reality I just love the entire course for being a bad*** mo**erfu**er that takes no prisoners and spits me out like a chew toy. Oh that corner where you skim the wall, seen that on tv so many times and to finally see it from the riders perspective is awesome.

edit..oh yeah (looking at the map!) signpost corner is a beeeeeyatch and those fiddly corners right at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +33
    Those corners you mention after the hairpin are the waterworks - I hate them too. I quite like Signpost, but the hairpins at the end are so ****. You can’t really ride them well but you can sure as hell ruin a lap on them.

I quite like Sulby Bridge, though I did miss my braking point yesterday for the first time in weeks lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +260
    Yeah I don't dislike Sulby Bridge, as long as I brake in time! ;) I noticed that at the final right hand hairpin the ai took a realy wide line in and I'm trying that a bit myself now.

signpost should be ok but it's a corner where I've had a load of weird rear issues so I just hate it!

I really wish more corners were named in the game, makes it so much easier to learn!

7. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +33
    Signpost is fine but the recommended line is crap IMO (if you have racing lines on). I turn in a lot sooner and I can take it in second without skidding out, whereas if you follow the line you have to take it in first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +260
    Thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 1