What are the tricks of driving a RWD?

This is more of a generic question across all sims, but since this issue has to do with my experience with AC, then I though of posting it here.

OK, so the reason I'm posting this that I am shocked at my lap times I am doing with the AC TP. I have noticed that I am quite slow with RWD as compared to a FWD.

For example, in iRacing, I am always around 1 to 1.5 seconds away from aliens in the Jetta...yet with the RWDs, always about 3 seconds away.

In rFactor 2, I think I kick ass with the Clio, maybe 0.5 to max 1s away from aliens...yet, with RDW I struggle, depending on the car.

Now with AC, the Elise, I feel is not that hard to drive compared to iRacing or rFactor 2 RWDs....and yet, I can only do high 1.24 and higher. That's 2 to 3 seconds slower. I used no aids except some stability.

I am gobsmacked that I am so slow with RDWs. Yes, I know, they have different styles of driving, but I still follow the rules...brake as late as possible and smoothly, enter the corner smoothly, exit the corner and hit the accelerator as fast as you can bla bla bla...

I can go very fast with FWDs, yet in general 3 seconds slow in RWDs. I do not use heal and toe. I expected to be at least in the mid 1.23s :(

Oh another thing...I've always been slow in 'slow' tracks and quite fast in fast flowing tracks, so mangione does not help...

But anyway....any tips would be helpful to improve my RWD... :)

Thanks!!!!

PS: This thing (being slow in RWDs) has been very frustrating as there are more RWDs in sims in general. Also, it could be that I am just a F%c^%n idiot and don't know how to drive and I have to accept that...

RWD is easy given time, just it's all about perfect smooth addition of power for the required line and desired yaw rate (probably neutral to slightly oversteery ideally)

FWD you can just let it push into understeer which is safe and 'easy'... rwd just needs you to be smooth and only put in as much throttle as you need.

I suppose the same is true for RWD but you can't 'push' into oversteer without losing control haha.

As Jackie Stewart says, don't put throttle on that you will have to take back off... I think that sums it up pretty well. If you can do that you will be very fast... eventually :D

Dave

Relatively to RWD's, I think this pretty much applies. As with FWD's you need to keep more momentum than RWD's on entry. With RWD's you can rotate the car more on the throttle, hence you have a better exit, but a slower entry.
Most FWD's are relatively underpowered, momentum is key and by doing your technique you're shooting yourself in the foot, good for overtaking, but then as soon as you get on the straight you get mugged. Of course, laptimes will be much slower aswell.

We've raced Greger Huttu in 2008 here in the RD Touring Car Championship. Still remember that during pre-qualification even the fastest FWD aliens (like Attila Domjan) did hundreds of laps and sharpened the WTCC laprecords at Istanbul Park all the way to the high 2:02's which was exceptional really.

Then Huttu came online with everybody in spectator mode watching the man at work. Drove an out-, hot- and an inlap and clocked a 2:01 with his RWD BMW with the comment: Yeah some small mistakes but this should be good for now.

Trolololo. Thats the day I gave up :D

Well, if you forget about Greger for a moment, here we can all realise the iRacing Williams has too much grip :p
Yes it has way to much grip, and those sudden movements i just can´t see how a tire can handle.
IRL driver´s are smooth with inputs but in iR you can just saw the wheel at any rate you like, the front will never get overpowered.

Think it does something like crazy like 6-7G in cornering alone. And that´s with the supposed hard compound from Bridgestone.

don't know... everytime I switch from FVA into the iracing williams it feels like it has broken off the wings and is running on bluewheels
don't know how accurate the FVA f1 is.. but feels to me like a "car" where alot millions of $ went into the power to grip and downforce development... and Iracings F1 feels like it's build somewhere in a backyard garage

One thing is absolute grip, and another thing is the experience you get from that grip and how you arrive or departure from that grip value.

If you think about it, our Lotus Elise a street car on street legal tyres, has less grip than the GPL F1 cars... and still I think we all agree it feels more planted.

You need to take a bit earlier apexes, trying to trailbrake into them and then rotate the car with the gas. This being a street car, relatively underpowered, you need to keep speed inside the turn, using the power to rotate it. You can't afford to go so slow and straight in turn in just to have a late apex so you can keep the front wheel straight. You can't afford that and you don't have to, because the power is at the rear wheels and you have plenty of traction.

Very helpful. I believe i also drive RWD like FWD. Waste too much time to rotate the car by steer the wheel but the car just dont turn like i wish.

Stefan nice lap, way better than I can manage, I'm a noob at this.

Can you tell me what your wheel and pedals you are using? Are you using ABS or any other aids?

I'm stuck at 1:29, after three days of an hour each, long way to go :)

Thanks mody, though I am still 1.5 seconds behind the fast ones..assuming they are not cheating :p

Here's a better lap...still with mistakes, but better :)

As for wheel and pedals....I use an old G25 and have the GTEYE Brake Pedal Spring Upgrade Mod which I like much better.

Used no aids except some stability (25% i think) and pedal shifters

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back