What are the Minimum Specs for triple screen?

I am thinking seriously about getting a gaming PC, since one of the principal advantages is that you can run triple screens. I know they are hardware intensive, but can anyone point be in the directions of "minimum" specs or a base system?

Also, for those of you who have experienced triple screens and VR, which do you prefer, and why? Would VR be a good excuse not to go with triples and save?

Thanks

VR is definitely better in concept than Triples, but VR is fairly new, I personally am waiting for the 2.0 headsets to come out before I jump ship, also largely due to space concerns. However that said you will find a lot of guys here who went VR and will never go back. Downside ofcourse is that not everything has good VR support or VR support at all yet.

That said, for triples, its not a clear cut question of 'minimum' specs. Since it depends on a lot of things, like what games you play and what sort of screens you have. For a 3x 1080p in some of the less demanding sims (iRacing, Automobilista, rFactor 2 ) I'd reckon you can get away with a RX 480 8gb. (250$) A RX 480 would also run VR but not all to well, I'd really advice a higher end card for that.

AMD is launching their Vega GPU's in the summer, which will probably shake up the higher end market, that is worth waiting for if you are looking to buy into big performance (GTX 1070 / GTX 1080).

If you run 144hz 1080p or 1440p I'd definitely advice you to go with a GTX 1070 or higher.

As for the rest of the system, depends on your budget. I'd personally go with a gold rated 500 watt powersupply, a i5 7500 with a B250 motherboard, 16gb of ram and then some storage devices and a case with good airflow you like.

For screens, I'd honestly recommend IPS over 144hz TN's. The viewing angles on a TN are pretty terrible and lower end 144hz gaming panels aren't know for their color accuracy. A IPS has better colors and much better viewing angles, which means that in a triple config you won't get a distortion of color due to the angle you look at the panel. Dell makes some nice IPS panels in the P series or U series but there are many more options.

End of the day ,this all comes down to ,what do you want to play and how much money do you want to spend. Without those it's hard to give you solid advice or what to look at.

Reactions: Rob
Upvote 0
if you have i5 get GTX 1060 6GB... cheap and good power for money. If you have i7 get GTX 1070 or 1080 (based on you budget .. both will last you for a while) ... if you have AMD get i5 or i7 :)

Upvote 0
if you have i5 get GTX 1060 6GB... cheap and good power for money. If you have i7 get GTX 1070 or 1080 (based on you budget .. both will last you for a while) ... if you have AMD get i5 or i7 :)
While I agree with you general sentiment, I must point out that the RX 480 is faster at everything than the GTX 1060, while having more vram (useful for triples) and also being more future proof due to longer driver support. Also, a i5 can run a 1070 and 1080 just fine, they don't require a i7 perse. It all depends on how CPU dependent the game is.
It closed the entire gap in just 5 months. Not to mention the future is ofcourse DirectX 12. I can't possibly recommend anybody anything from Nvidia under a 1070. AMD reigns king there.

Upvote 0
both are good choices, it is more about what you prefer ..green/red ... they did good job with latest drivers and in some games 480 is catching ..
who knows when dx12 dominance will happend, my bet is we gonna have new cards till it really does ..

worth mentioning is that 1060 consumes a lot less power and is running low temps (you almost game without fun running at 60 celsius in 1080p) ... AMD cars are hot and hunger :)

and another thing is nVidias Shadowplay .... if you are recording, you won`t find sw as little performance impacting as shadowplay (cuts what 2-3 FPS ? )

but if you run Freesync monitor AMD is doing it better than nV with Gsync

anyway OP won`t do mistake with any of those ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some good stuff here. I'm allowing it to sink in. My budget is around $1000. I have a Benq monitor (28" I think) that is of stellar quality. If I could get two more (1080p/60 Hz?) I'd be happy. That's going to eat up about $500, so I may have to up the budget to $1,500 total. A new console will cost roughly $600, but w/o triples (VR support for pCARS & Assetto so far), the xbox has too many disadvantages to continue. For instance, you spend $15 a months for Live membership, which can run $200 a year. The games are inferior to PC and cost $60 a pop. Sink that money into the PC upgrade and I don't see how you can go wrong.

Upvote 0
both are good choices, it is more about what you prefer ..green/red ... they did good job with latest drivers and in some games 480 is catching ..
who knows when dx12 dominance will happend, my bet is we gonna have new cars till it really does ..

worth mentioning is that 1060 consumes a lot less power and is running low temps (you almost game without fun running at 60 celsius in 1080p) ... AMD cars are hot and hunger :)

and another thing is nVidias Shadowplay .... if you are recording, you won`t find sw as little performance impacting as shadowplay (cuts what 2-3 FPS ? )

but if you run Freesync monitor AMD is doing it better than nV with Gsync

anyway OP won`t do mistake with any of those ..
My RX 480 runs 65 at 100% load. That's not hot. 60 degrees is not hot either. You won't even notice that, I don't understand how you can say "You almost game without fun at 60 celcius at 1080p", do you hold your hand on the card when you game or something? :D These cards (both 1060 as well as RX 480) are designed to easily operate at 80+ degrees celcius. Having it cooler is nice ,but not when you are going for worse performance over 3-5 degrees. Both are 6 pin cards so you wont be running either off the motherboard alone. The RX 480 isn't catching, it's beating the 1060 with a few very heavily Nvidia focused games being the exception. Especially at higher resolutions (such as triple screens) the 8gb 480 will dominate the 1060 now and in due time. As for Shadowplay, AMD has ReLive, which is basically 100% identical to shadowplay, does exactly the same thing ,in the same way ,with the same (or rather lack of) performance hit.

Yes by the time everything is DX12 we will have new cards, but that doesn't mean OP or anybody who buys a videocard now will upgrade. That and AMD will have a permanent advantage in DX12 because of their architecture. Nvidia is unable to support advanced DX12 technologies like A-sync compute due to how their core architecture is written. Supporting those technologies would require Nvidia to re-write how CUDA cores work, and that wont happy any time soon. Yes OP can't go wrong buying either, but 1 is the better choice.

OP can't go wrong if he spends 300 on a new gen GPU either way. Isn't the whole point of giving advice to point out the little nuances that edge out 1 card over the other in value for money? I don't get the logic behind calling both good choices when 1 is faster, better for triples, better for dx12, more future proof and has all the features (except g-sync)? ;)

Some good stuff here. I'm allowing it to sink in. My budget is around $1000. I have a Benq monitor (28" I think) that is of stellar quality. If I could get two more (1080p/60 Hz?) I'd be happy. That's going to eat up about $500, so I may have to up the budget to $1,500 total. A new console will cost roughly $600, but w/o triples (VR support for pCARS & Assetto so far), the xbox has too many disadvantages to continue. For instance, you spend $15 a months for Live membership, which can run $200 a year. The games are inferior to PC and cost $60 a pop. Sink that money into the PC upgrade and I don't see how you can go wrong.
I agree with you that PC is the obvious place to be for simracing, it's not even a competition. There are no sims that are on console and not on PC. Console basically gets a few of our sims (pCars, AC, Dirt Rally) but there is so much more on PC. And so much better support for Triples, VR, and peripherals alike.

Yea 500$ is cutting it pretty tight. Depending on if you have a rig to mount everything to or plan to use a desk also factors in your budget. For 1000$ you will definitely be able to build a PC that would smash any sim title out there. I think your main decision there would be a RX 480 + 7700K i7 , or a i5 7500 + 1070. Which performs better depends, I don't have any data on this but some sims (especially if you run high amounts of AI) will like the CPU over a better GPU. But for VR and some of the newer sim titles a better GPU might be the better choice.

Upvote 0
"You almost game without fun at 60 celcius at 1080p", do you hold your hand on the card when you game or something?
:) nah .. unless you use custom curve for fan, it is idle till temps reaches 60 or something like that .. I use custom curve as there is no reason not to cool it down even at 50 C as long as it is quiet ..
you have good air management in your case I gues .. RX480 runs ~80 at load usually .. but again both good cards ...

Upvote 0
Since the question is about minimum requirements and I have just put together a budget triple setup I will through in a little information on the lower end of things. First off I have an older computer, and am used to and don't mind lower graphic settings. I used a 24" monitor with a gtx560ti for the last year. Before that I had a gtx460. I typically drive AMS the most, and run high to medium settings with shadows on low.

I got three 23.6" monitors used for $200, and expect to sell my previous monitor for about $50-$75. I then bought a secondhand gtx970 for $120. This worked okay. I could run about the same settings, and what was getting 100-150 fps before, dropped down to 40-80. I did get a handful of stutters, and felt most comfortable lowering the settings a little to increase fps to decrease the time for controller input. On Rf2 though the fps took a bigger hit and graphics needed to be lowered a little more. I was also worried about having random stutters competing in a league race. I only had a few, but they didn't encourage me. Honestly, this worked okay, but I then found a used gtx1060 for a good price (US $180)and jumped on it. Now I can run higher settings than I did on the single screen 560ti but with the triples. Another thing to consider, is a rig or desk. I had originally planned on finding or making a desk to use the monitors. I now realized that to get the height level of the monitors where I want them and have the wheel remotely close to where I want it, it will be better to just build a rig for this purpose. Without the vision at the correct height you can get a nasty reality bend from one monitor to another. So realize that something to mount everything, or at least an adjustable monitor mount may be needed as well.

However it can be done in a somewhat less expensive manner as well. Right now I am using the triples and essentially the upgrade was about $150 in monitors, and $180 for the card. However I will be building a rig with a racing seat I already have, and expect to pay about $150 to make it. So in my case, about $500 to upgrade from a desk, to triples with a rig.

Upvote 0
console VR ALOT cheaper with a couple of neat features built in for the time conscious and just plain lazy people like me. Did I mention it's like a 1/3 off the price of a new PC & triples or 1/4 off a new pc & vr :sneaky:

Damn them pesky console kidz :whistling:

Upvote 0
console VR ALOT cheaper with a couple of neat features built in for the time conscious and just plain lazy people like me. Did I mention it's like a 1/3 off the price of a new PC & triples or 1/4 off a new pc & vr :sneaky:

Damn them pesky console kidz :whistling:
Well it also only has 2 good sims, Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa. And only 1 of them has VR. So unless you really like Dirt Rally, I'd argue the console route is not really a good simracing route. Sure it's cheap, but you get what you pay for :D

Upvote 0
Well it also only has 2 good sims, Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa. And only 1 of them has VR. So unless you really like Dirt Rally, I'd argue the console route is not really a good simracing route. Sure it's cheap, but you get what you pay for :D

Ahh. :cry: Got us. You are correct about a low number of VR titles currently on console but this will only grow in the next 6 months to AC, F1 2017, Pcars & that monster Sim GT Sport :p all of which will be timed DLC at a cost of an additional 9.99 per game :O_o:

The other no brainier I neglected to tell rob about is PC VR face. Us console users can get away with lying to our wives, girlfriends or moms because we don't get VR face :inlove: An incredible rediculous mark around your face were the HMD is pulled tight to the face leaving a mark around it for a good 45 mins after using :laugh: rendering lying to the better half about why u didn't get time to tidy around the house :thumbsdown: useless

Console kidz 2 PC master-race 1 ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back