What’s the best way to practice to become faster?

I’ve been simracing about 5 months now and I was wondering what’s the best way to get faster overall? I ask because I want to go from being 2-3 seconds off the best times to making that gap smaller and smaller. I’ve seen some aliens say they weren’t good from the start but they spent the time to practice everyday and got faster by doing that. What I wanna know is what exactly is it that I’m supposed to do as practice because I feel that it’s a bit different than other things you’d practice for which is why I’m confused and feel like I may not be practicing right. What are the procedures/things that I should be doing everyday to improve on becoming an overall faster driver. I’m willing to put the time and effort but just don’t know how to practice. Thanks

(Just to clarify, I’m talking specifically about getting faster and not getting more consistent as that’s not a problem for me.)

I was insulted first anyway. So i suppose you are talking about everybody here that has insulted somebody else isn't it?

My comment applies to every single member of this forum. ;) Who cares if some random stranger on the internet hurled an insult our way? Doesn't mean we need to stoop down to their level and sling mud with them because then we get just as dirty as they are. :thumbsup:

Having natural innate ability just means that reaching a certain point is easier - a person with less natural ability can work harder and reach the same level. “Lack of talent” is an excuse for not overcoming a lack of natural ability by smart, hard work.

Sure, all good in theory, but probably not all that common that it actually happens because for a lot of people that amount of work would be monumental. And I'd still contend that the person with the innate ability would more times than not be just slightly better than the person who worked harder to reach that level.

Anyway, this is a question that can have many different answers and none of us are 100% right or 100% wrong because we're all built differently and can't be categorized so conveniently. I've provided my theory based on my experience, it's no more right or wrong than anyone else's, but I do know that the amount of work it would take me to be as fast as the aliens is not worth the effort it would require because it would only marginally increase my already high enjoyment of this hobby. :thumbsup:

Everybody in f1 has 110% talent. Guess what makes the difference :D

You spelled "money" wrong. :whistling:

One thing I might add .... as Simracing is not real racing:
- sure everyone has the same view on track ?? not at all and it may change much the perception of the track ( same for having VR - triple screen or ... a single screen )
- sure everyone has a "gamer mentality" ? ... not at all ....
the gamer will also find the weakness of a track ( and they all have some ), where he can put his 4 wheels and get no cut warning, etc ... etc... while another simracer with more realistic race way of driving will not even think to do the same.

Simracing is a special thing.
We don't have the same monitors, the same fpd, the same fov, the same wheel and pedals, the same setup, the same practice timr, ...
Many parameters.
There will always be vrry fast guys and some others less quick on the track.
This is life. Important thing is to have fun.

But as a basic rule, as rasmus and other said, the more practise and race preparation, the more efficiency on the track.

Its mainly about practice, practice, practice... and i find that the problem. Lets face it, flying around the same track again and again by yourself can be boring as hell. So for me, the most important improvement came from an interesting way to practice. I resolved the bordom by joining the online trackday servers at nordschleife. This brought so much to the table. Nordschlefie is a challange to learn, it has many tricky track sections. The trackdays have a wide range of cars, so you can get real pleasure from a david and goliath situation by beating much faster cars driven by unexperienced drivers. You also learn from following experienced drivers. Finally the track is quite oftern full of twats. Twats are a great thing, they teach you how to spot a twat... anticipate when they are just about to do twatty things and most importantly learning how to give twats space and recognise safe overtaking spots.
I have now done 100's of laps on Nordschleife, and even now I still learn something new on every lap... and have great fun along the way.

OP do you run a delta app while you practice? I think they are a really handy tool to highlight things you might have missed otherwise.

I think we can all improve if we practice, experiment and analyze our driving. I've been playing AC since it came out and have learned plenty in that time and still feel like there is so much more to learn. It can certainly be frustrating when you hit a wall though.

It seems like there are different types of progression to me. There are the conscious corner/car/etc specific improvements we make and the subconscious muscle memory or sort of predictive improvements that seem to sink in slowly over time.

Side by side videos of your lap and some faster drivers lap can show quite clearly where you are losing out for a specific combo. There have been a few of those in the WHC and it makes it quite obvious where time is being lost. I'm sure someone would do so for you if you upload a video and request a side by side of a better lap. It could point out some specific areas to work on. Also, if you run with RSR live timing the sector times can help narrow down where you are losing time for some specific combo.

Don't listen to all this talent stuff. Talent determines how much you have to work for the improvements and at some point it's gonna become really slow to make progress.
I wouldn't call myself very talented. But I had some experience with racing lines and driving in general. And with pc games.

When I took part in my first real online race in early 2017 here at RD in assetto corsa I came dead last. But I enjoyed it.
A few weeks ago I won my first race. Finally!

I've spent lots of hours understanding how to drive, watching tutorials and explanations, testing things out. Talking to other drivers, especially faster ones and asking for and watching replays of their driving.

Wrote spreadsheet over spreadsheet, about 4 din a4 pages of notes for each track. Working on it and trying to get faster by learning how to drive like the fast guys.

Everyone can do it. You just need to either be talented or intelligent and focused enough to work on yourself and make progress.
Here at RD you can find quite a lot of threads about driving style. There are books out there too.
The easiest way is to record a lap of your driving and ask for help. Then quick drivers will surely have the time to do 5 laps and send you the replay/video of it and you can compare the inputs, lines etc.
Note the differences down and try to replicate it.
There aren't massively different driving styles that are similar fast.
If you'd compare input telemetry of the whole F1 field they would look exactly the same if you don't go into the smallest details.
And these small details are the "driving style".
But 1-2 seconds around a standard track with the same car is not "driving style", it's just correct vs not as correct driving.

To race around the mid field in normal races it's enough to do the basics right and be consistent across multiple laps.

Good luck and success on your simracing route :)
Oh thanks, so is practice in simracing is just looking at your own lap's and trying to find what you can do to improve? Another question i have now is how does it transfer over to being faster when you go on to other tracks? or is it that it's practicing knowing how to gain time which helps out with going on to other tracks.

Last edited:
What's the old saying? The first 95% is effort but the last 5% is talent? Meaning, lots of practice can get you everywhere, but to be one of the elites you generally need some innate talent as well. I've been doing this in some shape or form for over a decade, I've read the things, I've watched the videos, I've practiced and practiced, I've improved greatly over the years but have come to accept that I will always be 1-2 seconds away from the Aliens. But I'm still here having fun. :)

That doesn't mean it's not worth the effort and that lots of fun can't be had. Outright speed alone is not the only thing that gets you to victory lane, racecraft and lack of mistakes/consistency are just as important. But first you must practice practice practice. My advice is to pick a car and a track, don't touch anything other than tire pressures and just pound around lap after lap after lap until you know the car very well, until you feel like you can push it to the ragged edge. If you don't spin or crash on occasion you're not pushing hard enough. If you don't feel like you're driving for your life from an angry mob of baddies that want to kill you you're not pushing hard enough. If you don't occasionally have a lap that terrifies you you're not pushing hard enough.

Once your lap times get to where they're consistently within a couple tenths of each other you can start tinkering with the setup to shave a few more tenths off. But keep doing more laps, until you can visualize every corner, every braking point, every entry point and exit point with your eyes closed. Watch your replays, make sure you're using every legal inch of the track, make sure you're shifting at the optimal RPMs. It's not something that will happen overnight, it could take months for things to click and even then there will still always be room for more learning and improvement.

Most importantly, remember that winning isn't everything. Some/most of my very best sim racing memories were three-way battles for P5/6/7/etc. As long as you have someone to battle with you will have fun and ultimately I think that's all why we're here, to have fun, right? Winning is just the icing on the cake. @ZeroSV check out the club races here on RD, you'll find a wide range of talent, a lot of very helpful members that will watch your laps and give you driving tips or even setup tips, and likely have a lot of laughs. You may not win the race but I promise you'll have a fun time and come back for more. If you're interested, I'll gladly gift you a three month premium membership so you can check out the club races risk-free and see if they're for you.
Do i have to practice on 1 track until i am as fast as i want to be on the track or is that not expected to happen until i've practiced for months? I was confused on that as well. Wasn't sure if i am allowed to move on to other cars and tracks until I am getting those laptimes that i want for the track i was already practicing on.
Also regarding the three month membership Thank you for the offer but you don't have too :)

OP do you run a delta app while you practice? I think they are a really handy tool to highlight things you might have missed otherwise.

I think we can all improve if we practice, experiment and analyze our driving. I've been playing AC since it came out and have learned plenty in that time and still feel like there is so much more to learn. It can certainly be frustrating when you hit a wall though.

It seems like there are different types of progression to me. There are the conscious corner/car/etc specific improvements we make and the subconscious muscle memory or sort of predictive improvements that seem to sink in slowly over time.

Side by side videos of your lap and some faster drivers lap can show quite clearly where you are losing out for a specific combo. There have been a few of those in the WHC and it makes it quite obvious where time is being lost. I'm sure someone would do so for you if you upload a video and request a side by side of a better lap. It could point out some specific areas to work on. Also, if you run with RSR live timing the sector times can help narrow down where you are losing time for some specific combo.
Thanks for the suggestion of comparing my lap video to someone faster. I never thought of that and never realized it could possbily help me alot. Will try that for sure.

Simracing is a special thing.
We don't have the same monitors, the same fpd, the same fov, the same wheel and pedals, the same setup, the same practice timr, ...
Many parameters.
There will always be vrry fast guys and some others less quick on the track.
This is life. Important thing is to have fun.
And on the other hand, IRL racers have even less in common. Different chassis, different engine, different physical fitness... if you black out at 5 Gs you probably can't drive an F1 car even if you know the perfect line and how fast to take it.

I think it is not only about practice, it is about talent.

I have been practicing for years, and it improved my consistence, but i still 4-5 seconds off a competitive lap time.

If the talent is not there, you won't make it.

The same thing happen with music, doesn't matter how much you practice, if you're not a singer, you won't sing.

EDIT: Senna in the rain is an example, nobody could beat him doesn't matter how much they practice. BECAUSE SENNA HAD A SUPERIOR TALENT, AND PRACTICE DOESN'T IMPROVE YOUR TALENT.

Practice you only lead you to the TOP of your talent, but it WON'T improve your talent.
I just watched one of the newest video from the F1 youtube channel and they said that he was really bad in the rain at first so that was why he went out and practiced whenever it rained, which is why he was so good in the rain. Apparently he even hated the rain too.

I just watched one of the newest video from the F1 youtube channel and they said that he was really bad in the rain at first so that was why he went out and practiced whenever it rained, which is why he was so good in the rain. Apparently he even hated the rain too.
Ok, but then after that practice he was 1 lap ahead everyone else.

What does that mean? If Senna had 110% of talent, and putted only 75% of effort to improve his skills, the final result was then 75% of skill.

While other drivers with 100% of talent and 100% of effort were reaching 100% of skill.

When senna started to practice in the rain and putted 100% of effort in it, he reached his maximum talent, resulting in 110% of skill, while other drivers were stuck at 100% of skill, which was their maximum talent, and thats why Senna ended up being faster than anyone else.

Superior skill = Superior talent + Maximum effort.

Last edited:
Do i have to practice on 1 track until i am as fast as i want to be on the track or is that not expected to happen until i've practiced for months? I was confused on that as well. Wasn't sure if i am allowed to move on to other cars and tracks until I am getting those laptimes that i want for the track i was already practicing on.
Also regarding the three month membership Thank you for the offer but you don't have too :)
As you dont have a lot of simsracing experience, I think if you were to not touch the same car for 6 months and carried on racing other stuff regularly after that time you would find yourself faster when you came back to it. It is probably easier to burn out if you just stick to one car and track only and you may well learn different things with new cars and tracks. I think there are benefits to both staying with the same and also trying lots of different things.

Learning always happens in steps. Basically steeper and flatter curves of improvement plus "plateaus" where it feels like no improvement is happening at all!

The most efficient way is to keep this learning curves as steep as possible and to overcome the plateaus as quickly as possible at the same time.
When you get thrown into something new like a new track and a new car you won't have a steep curve for your pace. You will however have a steep curve for that track and the new car as you will improve a lot every few laps.
You won't be able to work on your pace though as to be able to work on the pace, you need to be safe and consistent on the track and with the car.
Once you are safe and consistent you can start to push and try to find the last bits of time.
But at some point you will become stuck, hit a plateau without improving anymore.

Now the question will be: practice pace or practice consistency?

For consistency you should do a long stint with that car. Full tank until it's empty or the tyres are done. About 45-60 minutes just driving!

Now you will hit a plateau on your consistency too and it will be time to get some fresh input.

This can be a side by side comparison, telemetry comparison or a video by a fast driver.
Note: this fresh input is needed for every plateau so if you don't wanna practice consistency, get this before the long stint!

The most efficient way of getting faster is to get someone really fast to coach you live on track. Of course he needs to be a good teacher too and not someone who is fast but doesn't know why and where the differences are..

But that's unlikely to happen without money involved. So you're relying on forums for example like right now :)

You might already see: I'm not the fastest guy but I'm really good at teaching, explaining and figuring out efficient ways.
I started to play my first instrument with barely 6 years old. Kiddie songs with the flute. Abandoned it after a few years and started to play the guitar. Still doing it.
I hit a massive plateau almost 7 years ago, still couldn't overcome it. I'm at a point where the work required to play the songs I want to play is too much. And if I don't practice for a week I'm becoming worse again..

Anyway, so I know quite a bit about this stuff and misery!

Efficient practice starts with a plan and analysis. Not just driving laps over laps over laps.
The only reason to actually do laps is to make the progress you did in your head stick and to build the base for the analysis.
Most progress happens in your head! If you don't know what to do to improve it will take ages to see any progress. You will just repeat your errors over and over and burn the "false driving" into your head and body.

The question is: how can you make the most efficient progress in your head?
And that's where most of the average sim racers can't be bothered to go further. If you're asked if you'd rather spend your 2 hours of free time doing awesome fun laps in the sunset around your favorite track or to look at motec data graphs it's pretty clear what most would choose.
Well I sometimes do the second option and write 2 pages of notes, pin them next to my monitor and the next time I have 2 hours of free time I'm gonna try to check every single note!

An example of my personal inefficiency and plateau:

I just found out about the great app "Camber Extravaganza" for Assetto Corsa and took the Mazda MX-5 Cup around Magione to build an awesome setup to gain time.
I always had problems with this drifty car with its loose end combined with some understeer...

So I went on track, optimized the camber settings etc and yeah, I gained over a second compared to my personal best!
Then I asked a very fast friend of mine to try my setup vs the default setup and the result was pretty interesting.
While he was only 0.3s quicker than me with my setup and liked to drive it, he was 1.5s quicker with the default setup (compared to my PB with my setup, over 2 seconds quicker than me with default setup!). :O_o:

Asked him to record motec telemetry for me so I could compare the lines and input and the result was very interesting again:
My setup had more maximum lateral G so it was a good setup in theory. The line was more steady and everything looked like my setup was really well done but the time delta showed differently...

In the end I found out that Magione has a lot of very tight corners and that his driving line was a lot tighter and therefore shorter. This tighter lines added up to quite some different distance between the lap with my setup and his lap on default setup.
It was because the loose rear end of the default setup allowed to rotate the car tighter and then drift the car out of the corners.

So he took a tighter line and was earlier on the throttle!

The tyres of the mx-5 cup can take this drifting without problems and the earlier throttle, although with some wheelspin was still resulting in a higher acceleration than the "clean" driving with my setup.

I made some spreadsheets and tried to do the same. First I became 2 seconds slower but after about 10-15 laps I started to figure out how to do it, gained time every lap until I was beating my previous PB. In the end I could again come close up to 0.3 seconds of my very fast friend!

Here's how the comparison looked like:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/lower-lap-time-advice-spa.146924/page-2#post-2686526

upload_2018-2-14_11-55-50-png.235692

It's the second hairpin at Magione. Red line is me, white line is my fast buddy. Grey line is unimportant.
The white lines loses 0.2s through that corner but gains 0.35s on the next straight. So 0.15s gained by that cornering difference.

I know my post is long and massive but if you want to make progress you have to dig through such stuff. Otherwise you just lap around and hope to improve by random success.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEMOK-WHCpl0mvEYNjJMqw

I like really Deion's videos probably because it suits my real life style of rolling more speed and managing weight transfer. No single style is better than another so keep that in mind. 4 drives can use 4 different styles and come to a similar lap time given the car setup suits the style.

Once you get past his basics videos, watch a track breakdown so you can get an idea on how to apply those principals in actual driving.

Keep in mind, different sims will prefer one type of driving over another due to how they're modeled and the personal preference of its creators. Still, if you get the principals down, the speed will be there.

Drive a slower car fast first. Take something like a GT86 in AC and then move to a MX5 Cup and then to a GT4>GT3>Open wheel.

2 things that were taught to me IRL that helped me the most:
- Brakes are there to set your entry speed
- More time is gained in low speed corners than high speed corners

@Bruno I
Senna was a great driver, he was not all conquering in the rain, he lost many races in the rain to many other
talented drivers.
you cannot start directly comparing the real world with sim racing.
I think Lewis is a great F1 driver, but if he had always been in the Williams he would have had no
world championships.
In sim racing usually all the variables start off as a constant. then its setup, hard work and talent.
You first statement had a modicum of truth, you just overplayed its importance.
You could argue from that stance , ultimately , but that lucky sod will still have to study and work
hard to beat all those who are at his pace, in fact probably harder than you need too.
this forum is ultimately for club sim racers, if I wanted to beat Greger Huttu, then I am positive you
would be correct, but its not the conversation for club sim racing.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back