Wet Races?

Chris Butcher

Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion
I was racing in a public server recently with the THR boys and we had good fun on a server running wet races. The driving was clean (it is possible) and it was great fun.

So how many of you here would like to see wet events?

I think wet races would be brilliant if incorporated into club events. In real life it rain so why not?

How does the rain/wet work in Race 07? Can you set it to dynamically change throughout a racing session like the quali at Silverstone today or is it just wet or just dry?

Working on that ;) = Brilliant!!!

Also the club needs cleaning up first, people need to look at them selves before we even dare to race in the wet, people are being disrespectful, bashing and cutting enough :).

If you are still having those sorts of issues in Race 07, it won't matter if the the races are wet or dry.
Providing some variety of weather is a very good idea, and certainly more realistic.

Well the overwhelming majority of those that have voted seem to be in favour of it, so I'll experiment with some formats for my events :)

Votes are still welcome, so will leave the thread open so everyone can have their say :)

What do you mean by that? Any rain in a game is going to be "simulated"
I mean that the wet track looks everywhere the same, you can´t really see the amount of water on track. Without XD it´s not seeable which tyre you need. And normally there is a different between raceline and normal track. Maybe it´s different but you can´t see it.
Next thing is that around the whole track you have the same wetness on track but if rain comes then this should be different around the track. But mor important is the drying track. It go dry everywhere the same. Normally first the race line should dry and slowly beside the raceline but this isn´t the case in Race.
So cause i know how it can look and feel better in other simulations i find the rain in Race not good simulated, and the driving is not much different to dry conditions, only lesser grip and a bit spray, that´s all.

Maybe we could create a few default weather.txt, ( controls the weather in "Changeable" conditions) from which to choose from. The autogenerated Weather.txt is so flawed that it cant be used; it stretches the events to unusable lengths, also the amount of randomness is way too small. I have tested this in the past and out of 12 sessions, i saw water in 2 of them and the amount of water didn't change at all... With Autosim Weather Generator you can make any weather for every minute of every session (actual game response is slower as it smooths spikes by nature).. Bad thing is that these weather programs need to be tested as the "sweet spot" of enough water and not too much is not that simple in every class.. Formula 1 cannot survive under heavy Rain but WTCC will cook the tires on F1 Intermediate conditions.

I've been meaning to study the weather system and custom weather generation, i could make a few custom weathers for 30 minute 2 race format. Oh, the custom weather needs to be made specifically for some base format as session lengths need to be somewhat correct. Also longer sessions decrease the resolution of the weather changes at least in Autosim WG. Tested weather.txt library doesn't sound that bad.. And someone with just enough knowledge of simple scripting and the use of a scheduler on server-end could make this at least semi-automatic feature to the future Wet races..

This brings us the option to race a classic from the past as weather conditions could be simulated using real world data.. Recent Canadian GP for example?

Maybe we could create a few default weather.txt, ( controls the weather in "Changeable" conditions) from which to choose from. The autogenerated Weather.txt is so flawed that it cant be used; it stretches the events to unusable lengths, also the amount of randomness is way too small. I have tested this in the past and out of 12 sessions, i saw water in 2 of them and the amount of water didn't change at all... With Autosim Weather Generator you can make any weather for every minute of every session (actual game response is slower as it smooths spikes by nature).. Bad thing is that these weather programs need to be tested as the "sweet spot" of enough water and not too much is not that simple in every class.. Formula 1 cannot survive under heavy Rain but WTCC will cook the tires on F1 Intermediate conditions.

I've been meaning to study the weather system and custom weather generation, i could make a few custom weathers for 30 minute 2 race format. Oh, the custom weather needs to be made specifically for some base format as session lengths need to be somewhat correct. Also longer sessions decrease the resolution of the weather changes at least in Autosim WG. Tested weather.txt library doesn't sound that bad.. And someone with just enough knowledge of simple scripting and the use of a scheduler on server-end could make this at least semi-automatic feature to the future Wet races..

This brings us the option to race a classic from the past as weather conditions could be simulated using real world data.. Recent Canadian GP for example?

Kennett, that sounds perfect :)

We normally run 25 minute races. I could have a look into the weather files and have a play, although I'm not too experienced when it comes to fiddling with RACE.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back