Wet/Night club races?

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's been a wet race yet, or another night race since the first club event. Would it be possible to run a race soon maybe with set weather at Heavy Rain? I know when asked about it before I was told that there were plans to test the weather adjustments, but surely a fully wet race from start to finish wouldn't hurt. It'd be different because we do only have 6 tracks to play with so far.

Boldly I state that I hate racing in the rain. In my thirteen years of racing IRL I could probably count the number of times it rained as less then the number of fingers on both hands,(less than 10). The simulation of a wet track and rain in general is poor, not even close to real life in my opinion. Driving on it won't make it better, only time spent by developers.

If people really want to race in it and some do think they do better in it, fine, run races. I'll probably join :)

Last edited:
The thing is we -as in the sim community- asked and cried for day/night transitions and changing weather for ages yet we never seem to get outside our comfort zone.

It would be nice and a real refreshing challenge to try a night race and/or a wet race.

Keep the current format as it is but allow for some diversity and spice things up a bit.

Boldly I state that I hate racing in the rain. In my thirteen years of racing IRL I could probably count the number of times it rained as less then the number of fingers on both hands,(less than 10). The simulation of a wet track and rain in general is poor, not even close to real life in my opinion. Driving on it won't make it better, only time spent by developers.

If people really want to race in it and some do think they do better in it, fine, run races. I'll probably join :)
Indeed boldly. No wonder you don`t have a clue how racing in the wet looks like.
How can you judge it, if you only drove less than 10 races in 13 years of racing?
Actually you don`t race in rain at all :):laugh:
--
Btw, and do how you expect to be a sim same as RL racing? In any case, its the best earth can handle atm.
--
I hope for some mixed races, specially not knows weather conditions in advance, thats the best, so you have to think fast and act urgently.

Actually you don`t race in rain at all :):laugh:

Thank you for your humor :). This is my point completely, that seldom is a session on track in wet conditions.
Let the dev's worry about getting variations in track surface quality and grip across the track down first as it seems they haven't mastered that yet. Rain and wet need so much work to get right, spend the time on better damage and physics.

Many want rain and wet conditions, I'll go with that. Lets have it as real as possible in that it's presented as much as it appears in reality. A race at a desert track with pouring rain? Match the locations!

You've been waiting for variable weather and grip for so long? Club races were run using Race 07 with sessions having changing conditions including grip years ago! I always thought the effect of it was the same as IRL with numerous offs and incidents that ruined races, but all with laughs, lol.

Since ACC is endurance racing, I am glad for the nighttime experience, especially now that I have a PC that matches the sims. I have only driven at night in the first RD event, the one that went quickly to night and from that experience I came away pretty happy. I didn't think I got the dark and lonely feeling that I remember from RL but the lighting effects were nice, better lights on the vehicle than I ever had too :D.

No problem :)
I know how hard is to replicate the RL conditions to the sim, but developers are getting closer and closer. Even the hardware is the limit here, since if PC would have to handle all the logic behind, I`m sure not the current super-fast computer cannot handle. Even now where more or less is static and more or less with the same conditions and same tarmac physics all around the track, an average computer struggles, imagine having 100x more complex physics. But I`m sure we are getting close and closer.

None of this was supposed to be about realism of rain simulation, I just want to do a race with an option that's in game. If you don't like the rain, don't sign up.

Would love some wet races! Drifting around with high TC and abs, slowing things down :)

@Dennis Phelan look at the Blancpain Europe races. Monza wet, now brands qualifying wet and drying. That's 2/2 races this season already having at least one session in the rain!
The realism is high enough to at least have some fun and enjoyable moments. Maybe not a replication but enough fun imo :)

I'd be in as well, might be an interesting change. We did rain races from time to time back in the race07 days, it somehow never felt right, though i must say i have never sat in a race car in real life, neither dry nor rain, so who am I to judge? With no rain in iRacing, 95% of my gameing time is spent on dry tracks, so I'm probably not good at it either, lol.

I really would love to see races with changing conditions, and day/night transition. All the races in the wet, drying etc. I had so far in ACC were brilliant fun and very challenging. I personally would really really want to see races with different/changing conditions. Perfectly rubbered in and sunny all the time can get a bit dull, especially because some people just prepare their setups for those conditions. Different weather would also help mix things more up as it is more about the driver then the setup. :) Maybe a vote would help aswell here?

I've raced 110cc karts in the rain over 5 years, I'd say it was around 60/30 with the 10 in the middle being damp or drying...
I don't think Blancpain races at any deserts? I could be wrong but they race in America and that place has rain, I've been there and seen it for myself...
Europe, obviosly...
And even in Blancpain Asia, the race I went to at Sepang was damp and it did rain a bit during the race too.

UK kart tracks, (for some reason), are constantly wet and you rarely get a weekend where it's completely dry the whole way through, unless you're lucky.
Just look at Jenson, Lewis and Anthony, all pretty handy in the wet conditions, it's because during a race weekend you never know what you could face. The racing club I was in, and that a lot of the UK/European racing drivers have competed in at some point, used to run wet races with slicks. Don't like it, don't turn up. It taught you some incredibly valuable skills though.

I for one like racing in the rain, I even shared a trophy with two other guys for coming 2nd in an endurance race at Rye House which was an absolute downpour from start to finish, on slicks!
First time I've ever had team mates trying to get me to slow down from the pits...

I love it and hope we do more changing day/night/weather races here at RD, as someone said, we as a community have been asking for this to be implemented well in sim racing for a while now. :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%