F1 2011 Wet and dry setups dont do well together

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Wet to dry setups
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello to all,
I had a 30% offline race with TC on, tire simulation disabled, short w/e. It had been pouring rain for Practice and Qually. At Race time the rain was no more, so I went with Options, and changed car to my DRY setup, a lot different than my WET.
Both setups work great for the weather they are designed for.
The engineer told me to come in for the required tire change to Prime around the 6th lap, but I was looking at the skies and felt I should stay out a while longer in case it started raining, I could select wets and have a two pit stop race instead of three(having to swith off the Primes and onto Wets)
Well, it did start pouring around the 9th lap, so I came in for my first and most likely last pit stop, to change to WETS.
The problem is ......that I was still on the DRY car setup and it was horrible, sliding all around. I quickly lost my second place position to almost last!
There is no way to change car setup, correct? So what to do? I mean it's like running primes in the rain....useless. What am I missing?
If it starts pouring and you have a dry setup on the car, your done. The AI does not suffer, their cars magically change setups rain or shine.
I have been "away" from the game for quite a while.
Am I missing something? Thank you.

Nope, you can't change your setup. If you suspect it might start raining during the race (chance of rain higher than 0% :p) you're better off with a wet setup. You'll still have an advantage in the dry and you'll simply fly past the AI once it starts raining.

The AI doesn't change setups either, their "setup" is merely in the balance.

Thank you for such a quick reply...about 10 min. Very helpful. I
I had this post over at Codematers, I joined in Jan 2011 and made over 100 post. I posted this problem a few days ago, and it had 59 views with out a single reply to help. That was it for me. :mad:

I have never made a post like the following on any forum,as I try to be respectful. I made this post before your quick reply, after I saw 59 views and no help. Thanks again. Oh, and good to read your warning about people who are disrespectful. Would hate to see this site go down that road.

My exit from Codemasters forum.... (post)

Wet to dry setups
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleted.....50 views and NOT a single reply to help.
I joined this forum 18 months ago and after about 10 months, I have watched it self implode into a site of chronic whiners, contant complaining.
Where are the good people like Aqua F1 and some others?
I am not the only one that feels this way, this site is know in the racing sim world as pitiful. Don't believe me look around, if you can take time off from constant complaining about everything.
SEEYA!

No worries and good luck - having a wet setup in the dry is awesome since you can simply put the pedal to the metal and don't have to worry about wheelspin too much. :)

No worries and good luck - having a wet setup in the dry is awesome since you can simply put the pedal to the metal and don't have to worry about wheelspin too much. :)
I was using TC on :redface: but have switched to medium. A lot more fun really, once you get used to it. I am getting ready for NO assists gameplay for F12012. I should be better by now. It's all about time on the track. ;) It seems that medium TC is like the TC OFF in F12010. F12011 TC Off is quite challenging.
I am running expert but don't win very many, top 5 I'm happy. Edit...Not Expert, I meant Legend AI.

You can also use what I call a "Wet/Dry" setup.
I take dry setup but use wet brake settings (2 clicks rearwards and one click less pressure) and soften springs by 1 click.
brake bias and pressure is the most costly when using a dry setup in the wet.

Dependent on the % likely hood of rain and if its a wet or dry start the options are:
high% rain: use wet setup but lengthen 7th gear for dry period
low % rain: : use dry setup with wet brakes poss soften springs

Depending on what % will be dry laps you can make compromise adaptions to aero.
In gerenral you will lose more in the wet with a dry setup than the reverse so err on the side of a bit "wetter" If its dry for a long time you will have nice downforce for the turny sector! just have enough 7th gear for DRS in dry

This is some excellent info! I had no idea about using this kind of stratedgy.

If I remember correctly, It was a 17% chance, but a dry track (no rain) I don't remember what the engineer put on the car, but I think it was inters, and I changed it to options. Is that possible that he put me on INTERS with a dry track?

Do you ever go against the engineers tire setup sometimes, and then use your wet/dry setup, or do you always stick with the engineers tire choice and then use your wet/dry? Thanks, this theory would have saved my race, but maybe I should not have ever changed the tires from engineers pick at start? I could see it was not raining.....

This is some excellent info! I had no idea about using this kind of stratedgy.

If I remember correctly, It was a 17% chance, but a dry track (no rain) I don't remember what the engineer put on the car, but I think it was inters, and I changed it to options. Is that possible that he put me on INTERS with a dry track?

Do you ever go against the engineers tire setup sometimes, and then use your wet/dry setup, or do you always stick with the engineers tire choice and then use your wet/dry? Thanks, this theory would have saved my race, but maybe I should not have ever changed the tires from engineers pick at start? I could see it was not raining.....
Normally he wont get the tyre wrong at the start of a race but the rest of th etime he is to be totally ignored

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back