well my return to the wheel racing is over almost before it started :(

Frigging pissed off with Win 10, I love my new Pc but getting it to work with my still functional LCDTV (forgot to add, it's NOT a 1080 tv max res is 1360 or 1366 * 768) has been a fricken nightmare.

1st mistake was mine assuming my gfx card had 2 hdmi's and 2 Dps (nope only 1 HDMi port). So my purchase of a HDMI-VGA cable was no good as I was using HDMI to HDMI for my desktop monitor. So I bought a DP-HDMI cable for desktop monitor, plugged both display's and was greeted by black on both, no amount of internet searching came up with a solution, plenty of similar sounding stuff, but not my exact problem. Only thing that worked was one or the other NOT both.

So I left it for about 6 months and used a pad instead. Then I finally got the gumption to have another go, initially I physically lifted my desktop monitor up and over my pc and put in front of my driving rig. Obviously worked but a complete PITA.

So I thought of a HDMI hub and remembered I had one when the single HDMI output on TV worked (since failed hence using the VGA input) and had my PS3 and XBone attached. Unfortunately not bi directional so it was 2 inputs one output, but to test my theory (before buying a bi directional HDMI hub or at least 1 input 2 ouput) I bought another HDMI cable and attached the hub up and put it in a place for easy swapping of cables. Joy of joys it worked and I've spent the last week enjoying my wheel again.

This afernoon I plugged in my TV as I have been doing all week....but this time got the dreaded "No Signal". Plug desktop monitor back in and all fine. I've tried different resoultions, rebooted PC to no avail....the BIOS displays, but as soon as WIN 10 kicks in "No Signal"....the air around me is so blue it's arctic. How can something that worked for a week suddenly ferks up on me.

so 3 things...

1, why couldn't my card display with the HDMI and DP used, is that normal?
2, has my HDMI to VGA cable gone tits up?
3, Where has all my hair gone?

VGA? I haven't used VGA in over 15 years. We've got a couple of test monitors at work with VGA/DVI, but we have to use DVI (another antiquated standard) adapters to get them to work, but even so they do not play well with modern graphic cards, often resulting in a "No Signal" or "Unsupported Signal" error

One trick I've used is to hook up a monitor that's known to work and then manually set the resolution through windows to the native resolution and refresh frequency of the target monitor/TV - you may need to create a custom setting with your graphic card software to do this. No guarantees that it'll work though.

But honestly if you really want my true advice - get a new TV.

VGA? I haven't used VGA in over 15 years. We've got a couple of test monitors at work with VGA/DVI, but we have to use DVI (another antiquated standard) adapters to get them to work, but even so they do not play well with modern graphic cards, often resulting in a "No Signal" or "Unsupported Signal" error

One trick I've used is to hook up a monitor that's known to work and then manually set the resolution through windows to the native resolution and refresh frequency of the target monitor/TV - you may need to create a custom setting with your graphic card software to do this. No guarantees that it'll work though.

But honestly if you really want my true advice - get a new TV.

Thanks for replying! :)

I know I know, it's from 2006 and weighs a tonne despite only being 26"!! It still works and I hate throwing out things that actually work......I forgot about the refresh rate thing...I'll have another crack at it. Thing is yesterday it worked fine, I just plugged it in after setting windows to the correct resolution. Did the same thing this afternoon and got the no signal. I'm pretty sure it's NOT the cable as the BIOS is displayed fine, it's just when it gets to windows (curses MS).

Also can you shed light on the Display port/HDMI problem I had where individually they worked but together I got nothing but black on both screens?

I think an easy solution would be to buy an used Full HD TV in the size you want.

I bought a 50" Plasma in march for 80 Euros and the seller drove it over for 30 km because it wouldn´t fit into my car.
( and i didn´t haggle)

I know this is ancient tech too but for my PS4 it was good enough.
It should be possible to get it to work because its full Hd and 60hz ( i think?!?)

It uses to much electricity, but i didn´t drive all day :rolleyes:

But i can see your point, i don´t like to discard working tech either.

In the end this could be cheaper than buying adapter for an ancient device.

MFG Carsten

I think an easy solution would be to buy an used Full HD TV in the size you want.

I bought a 50" Plasma in march for 80 Euros and the seller drove it over for 30 km because it wouldn´t fit into my car.
( and i didn´t haggle)

I know this is ancient tech too but for my PS4 it was good enough.
It should be possible to get it to work because its full Hd and 60hz ( i think?!?)

It uses to much electricity, but i didn´t drive all day :rolleyes:

But i can see your point, i don´t like to discard working tech either.

In the end this could be cheaper than buying adapter for an ancient device.

MFG Carsten

Yup seems that's the only way, I'm just narked it all worked fine for a day then just stopped working. :(

At least I had a good day of simming!

I suspect you are experiencing an overscan issue with that television.
I just went through something similar at work.
Try leaving the monitor and television connected at the same time.
The monitor will display but the TV will not initially.
You may have to use the rigorous detection feature if you have an Nvidia card to get it recognized.
Set the resolution for monitor #2 to whatever the television will support.
It should then display correctly.

As the technical solutions were already posted, I'd like to add the "trick" to get rid of working stuff - as you hate throwing out working stuff (which is good:))
Have the same "problem" solving it by finding somebody who can still use it. There are many people out there with bigger economical problems than all of us simracers have. Stuff is still used and put to a task it was more designed for.

I suspect you are experiencing an overscan issue with that television.
I just went through something similar at work.
Try leaving the monitor and television connected at the same time.
The monitor will display but the TV will not initially.
You may have to use the rigorous detection feature if you have an Nvidia card to get it recognized.
Set the resolution for monitor #2 to whatever the television will support.
It should then display correctly.

At the mo I can only display one or the other via a HDMI hub that was originally for connecting two console to the one HDMI on the TV, that failed a few years back so was sitting in a box.

I bought a HDMI -VGA when I got my new PC (on old PC it was DVI - VGA), that didn't work as I only had one HDMI out from gfx card, bought a Dislpay port - HDMI for desktop PC to free up the HDMI out..but when both plugged in neither showed a picture, so I shelved that idea as I didn't want to be unplugging and plugging cables from the back of the PC all the time. Then I remembered the HDMI hub and figured it'd make swapping cables easier and if it worked ok I could get a more dedicated splitter hub. That worked for one day then next day it stopped working (hence my post). HDMI - VGA doesn't even work directly plugged in like it did either, but it still shows the BIOS boot up ok, it's just Win 10 that fails to display.

I just think I'm making it too complex, trying to get such an old TV that's not even 1080p to work. I have a bit of money saved up so will prolly get a 32" BenQ or similar.

As the technical solutions were already posted, I'd like to add the "trick" to get rid of working stuff - as you hate throwing out working stuff (which is good:))
Have the same "problem" solving it by finding somebody who can still use it. There are many people out there with bigger economical problems than all of us simracers have. Stuff is still used and put to a task it was more designed for.

Yup I'll do that, I think it still works as a TV...It's just the HDMI port that's not working.

I had much the same with 2 sets of 2 Monitor \ TV

Check version of cables and hubs like some do only 30Hz others do 60HZ 4K

one thing to try is manually set the refresh rates worked for me

I have new Smart TV displays as "generic monitor" and would only set lowest refresh rate 23Hz in W10 or both AMD and Nvidia CP's which in turn stopped gaming monitor displaying

Connected TV and changed to 60Hz as below it saved in both AMD/Nvidia control panels
Unless after fresh OS I did this very first thing ( before installing video drivers ) they would not work together ie: both blank

Mind you I have a odd setup

Both my everyday and gaming towers are connected to both monitors and I can only see one monitor at a time :roflmao: ....... expletives when I go to open something on 2nd monitor got to crane my neck lol

What is nice all I have to do to change towers is swap the 15 port Hub lead ( only USB lead in both towers ) then click the monitor hub and I have all USB devices working
Never get endless USB warnings they are connected ( which is caused by plugging 10 usb devices into different ports each time ) ..as long as I always plug the hub lead into the same 2 ports on the 2 PC

Also possible if i move 32" away the 43" can swivel around to rig and it just lines up so if I want to drive in proper 4K ( that was a complete freak never planned it or even thought about it lol )

Last edited:
Durge your setup isn't a million miles away from mine (except I only have 1 PC which makes it easier)....I was wondering if a simple HDMI splitter cable would be better than a fancy hub?

I'm still curious as to why DP and HDMI didn't work at the same time on my PC, is that normal? does it have to be all DP or all HDMI, or SHOULD it be possible to do both and I have a dodgy card? (ZOTAC GF1660)

edit thinking of getting this:
splitter.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 80 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • < 4 years