rF2 Week 32: Mid-Ohio

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I think ur all absolutely right...particularly @Matt Sentell mentioning rev matching. I think it's to do with slowing the wheels too much compared to the speed of the car.

My issue is, I have also read books which advocate completing gear changes before corner entry..the turning of the wheel. However, fast guys also brake late.so if the braking is later and in a straight line...therefore a fast guy will spend hardly any time on the brakes right? And you have to shift after braking begins.so surely with late, quick braking then the time for downshifts is limited and must be completed quickly? How do you guy get round this problem.i generally try to push the brakes rather than lock. My reflexes are also pretty good...so how come I can't slow the car as quick as the fastest guys? ;-(

Well so it's true that you want to minimize downchanging while turning but sometimes it can't be helped. If you're driving a car that has a rev-matching (auto-blipping) gearbox like the one in the Camaro, you can get away with it a lot more easily.

A good example of a place where in this car I sometimes make a very late downchange is through Brooklands at Silverstone. It's the long decreasing radius left hander at the end of the first long straight. Because it's a decreasing radius you just keep going slower as you progress through the corner, and sometimes I want to go down to 2nd there. It never causes me a problem.

OTOH if I have to rev-match it myself, by blipping, then it's riskier. If I get it a little wrong and am at the lateral limit, it may chirp the rear wheels enough to put me sideways.

Anyway this might be more than you're looking for but my advice is to experiment with it. There's no getting around the need for the rear wheel speed to match the road speed though. If the clutch is engaged, the rear wheels are connected to the engine, and the engine will only allow them to rotate at whatever speed it's turning (modified by the gearing). So what happens when you should be in 4th and downshift to 2nd is that the engine can't turn fast enough to allow the wheels to rotate at road speed. It isn't quite that simple but that's one way to think of it.

Really the engine can turn much faster than its "redline," and a rev limiter cannot stop it from doing so when you downshift inappropriately like this. I haven't tried this in rF2 but in a real car the engine will, given enough time, in fact speed up to whatever the road speed requires. If that means you zing it way above redline then so be it, and you've probably done some damage if not grenaded it.

Understanding that, consider the engine in the Camaro. 7.9 liters if I'm correct, with a 6500 rpm redline. That's a big, slow engine, and so when you try to accelerate it, it doesn't happen quickly. The result is just nearly locked up rear wheels as the engine can't keep up.

The fact that it has such a narrow rev range, relatively speaking, is probably part of what you're having trouble adjusting to. In most race cars, and most cars in rF2, there's a much wider rev range to play in.

Silly mistake on the grid, let the car roll ahead, instead of just brake and have a worst start, i was rewarded with a drive through. I needed mistakes of the front runners, but Aleksi didn t do that favour for me, wd! :)

You up for another one tonight?
I think I need you to not fall asleep and loose my concentration like yesterday^^

Great race today with Matt and the others.
Somehow it was always something missing to win a race with this combo, today it was simply Matt doing no mistakes whatsoever an beeing very fast.
I still had a slightly faster race than my first one here, so I'm happy with it :)
The race log statistics are a great tool btw^^

I had recorded a hotlap on this combo offline, was a bit faster then my pb too :D (see at the bottom of the post)

Well done to all, there was some nice races this week, see you guys :)

Yep, that was a fun race. Even though the field was tiny and we weren't in contact, you, me and Marcel were all going about as hard as we could for the entire 30 minutes. I thought Marcel might have something for you but he fell away toward the end. He had fastest lap actually, but our best laps were separated by just .06 from 1st to 3rd. :)

21.8 is a helluva fast lap but I might have picked up a few things from your gearing there. :)

Sorry I had to leave B4 the race guys. It was nice anyway to be on track for the first time in RF2 multiplayer.
@Matt Sentell I rode a lap with you and you have the front end turning in beautifully. Do you think its technique or setup? or both.
I have done some setup and feel the back end is working nicely but my turn in is still a little slow (understeery).

Good to hear your first experience was good:thumbsup:

I also had a fun race, could keep up with the leader Marcel but a few laps before the end I spon and had a gap of 6 seconds which I couldn;t close anymore.

Sorry I had to leave B4 the race guys. It was nice anyway to be on track for the first time in RF2 multiplayer.
@Matt Sentell I rode a lap with you and you have the front end turning in beautifully. Do you think its technique or setup? or both.
I have done some setup and feel the back end is working nicely but my turn in is still a little slow (understeery).
Hey David, sorry, just saw this.

I really haven't changed the setup much from default. One thing that helps with corner entry is taking out a lot of the Coast side locking on the differential. With the car being so front-heavy it doesn't need much differential locking to keep it stable on entry.

But aside from that I think it's just down to not overdriving the entry and scrubbing the front tires too much. It's going to understeer, not much you can do about it other than control the weight transfer. How you come off the brake is one of the things that can have a big effect technique-wise, and by that I mean how fast and when.

Hey David, sorry, just saw this.

I really haven't changed the setup much from default. One thing that helps with corner entry is taking out a lot of the Coast side locking on the differential. With the car being so front-heavy it doesn't need much differential locking to keep it stable on entry.

But aside from that I think it's just down to not overdriving the entry and scrubbing the front tires too much. It's going to understeer, not much you can do about it other than control the weight transfer. How you come off the brake is one of the things that can have a big effect technique-wise, and by that I mean how fast and when.
Thanks, that helps. I haven't done any diff lock changes on coast so far only on poiwer. and will focus on longitudinal weight transfer on brakes. have worked on it but not consistently.
BTW i had 1 litre of fuel left when the chequered flag came out last night!

Thanks for the race Kevin and Davy.
We kept the pit crew and parts guys busy.
When I had a 227 sec stop at lap 1 I figured I would get back out there and finish it for experience. But was in the back of my mind hearing Murray Walker say "anything can happen and probably will" then Kevin had a 309 sec stop!
Man they should have given you something to read while that one happened.

Really learned something about the setups with the help of others today, thanks.
With better coast settings and front spring and ARB settings I had much improved turn in. This allowed me to then increase rear grip again, (which I had previously compromised to get some much needed oversteer) and got some small gains.
See you at the next one.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing