WEC: Porsche LMP1 Program confirmed until 2018

2018.png

Porsche today have confirmed that they intend to remain in the LMP1 category in the WEC until at least the end of the 2018 WEC season.

The announcement comes off the back of Porsche's recent 1-2 finish at the 24 Hours of Le Mans back in June to mark their first victory at Le Mans since their return to the top level of endurance, and also their overall win at Le Mans since 1998.

Matthias Muller, the Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG, was quoted as saying that "it was the revolutionary efficiency regulations that convinced to return to top level motorsport for the 104 season... (and) that we have managed to take the crown jewels of endurance racing in only our second year... is an outstanding testimony to the people in the Welssach research and development centre."

The news comes at a good time for the WEC given the recent debacle surrounding Nissan's presence category, as it also confirms that Porsche plan to compete with a new generation 919 Hybrid in line with the 2017 LMP1 regulation changes.

However, in related news, Porsche's continued involvement in the GTE classes remains in the air, with the latest rumours suggesting that the GTE-Pro Porsche owned Manthey squad could well shift their focus away from the WEC as early as next season.

For the 2015 season however, after a 10 week break the action will kick off tomorrow with free practice ahead of the 6 Hours of the Nurburgring.

This really is awesome news, i hope more and more companies join in, this year of WEC has been nothing short of spectacular. 20 years from now i think people will look back and think that this was a great time for racing and an awesome series.

This really is awesome news, i hope more and more companies join in, this year of WEC has been nothing short of spectacular. 20 years from now i think people will look back and think that this was a great time for racing and an awesome series.

Aren't Strakka meant to be joining the LMP1 programme at some point?

WEC is starting to become the "where it's at" of motor racing these days...

All races this season has been awesome. The format is really good and the rule formula i think is very fair.

Also some really strong driver and manufacturer backing.

The WEC have a really strong package now, so my hope is some TV companies are gonna go all in (Eurosport might) and do all the full length races with commentaries and good presentation as WEC really deserves the coverage.

Porsche staying commited only strengthens this...

Awesome drivers in Awesome cars. What's not to like.

I'm a huge Porsche Racing fan and it's brilliant to see them doing what they do best.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 135 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 514 39.0%