WEC: Nissan with Front Engined LMP1 car

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Nissan LMP1.jpg

The talk started already in November on Radio Le Mans when it was reported that eyebrows was raised when seeing the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, and that Nissan had ordered a different dimension of tyres than all the other LMP1 teams.

Fast forward to December, and Jalopnik presented a mock-up of a possible car, which looked very much like the old Panoz LMP1 cars from eary 2000's, it still seemed unlikely, but the website tends to be quite reliable when it comes to their exclusives.

Now, the front-engined car rumours started to gain traction, over at Mulsanne's Corner, a batmobile-like drawing was presented, with talk about using Cosworth's unused V6 F1-engine as a base for the power unit, producing a bit over 600HP, and with the hybrid system in place, producing "well over" 1000HP, maybe as high as 1400HP with max power output.

And then, finally today the spyshots have been taken, and the car is, indeed front-engined, with bigger front-tyres than rear tyres as well. With mirrors on the front fenders. It is also true to the GT-R name, as the early Skyline GT-R had this, and it might be a sign for the future GT-R's.

FWD Rumours

As the FIA rules for WEC have been altered slightly, you can now use the hybrid systems at all speeds - formerly it was only after passing 100km/h. Nissan have taken this new rule, and with the former DeltaWing, Nissan ZEOD guys in the team as well, they have the experience of going down the weird road.
The rumours state that the traditional combustion-engine will power the front-wheels. This way the power loss between the engine and wheels, will be smaller than with RWD cars. While the hybrid system powers the rear wheels at all times. Effectively making it work as a 4WD car, while being a FWD in the traditional sense.

No matter how it turns out, the concept is very interesting, and it is always good to see variety in racing, and teams trying other ways, as mid-rear engined cars have been the norm for 50 years, and the upset of seeing a front-engined car win Le Mans would be massive!

Well talk about variety in LMP1, what a season lies ahead, looking forward to getting to Silverstone in April :)

ACO can you let rotaries back in please? 600BHP four rotor with 500BHP Hybrid, yes please. :D

I was looking at them last night, I will reserve judgment until I see the car in the flesh, but I am worried about the looks! haha.

In one photo it looks like they've done the F1 nose trick and put a gonzo at the front?

I wish they would allow a bit more curve into the rear safety fin, they still look like a bit of MDF glued to the back...

Yes true but I have to say I prefer this 100% over the conventional LMP1 cars, really hope this can shake things up!

Oh yeah absolutely, I enjoy sportscar more than F1 these days because they are so diverse. All the LMP1 cars are completely different in engine, hybrid, battery style, and yet the racing last year was great. I think I laughed every time Radio Le Mans mentioned the Toyota's 1000bhp. :)

Watching the cars going into Becketts last April is unreal (almost violent), they don't slow at all for the first third of it, just a shame the safety aspects have taken the edge off the beauty of them in recent years (fins, holes in the wings above the wheels). But standing a couple of feet away from the Toyota and Audi last year in the paddock area, you don't realise just how amazingly complex these race cars are. Looking forward to another big team in the mix.

With the new LMP3 as well, 2015 is going to be a great year I think :thumbsup:

Oh yeah absolutely, I enjoy sportscar more than F1 these days because they are so diverse. All the LMP1 cars are completely different in engine, hybrid, battery style, and yet the racing last year was great. I think I laughed every time Radio Le Mans mentioned the Toyota's 1000bhp. :)

Watching the cars going into Becketts last April is unreal (almost violent), they don't slow at all for the first third of it, just a shame the safety aspects have taken the edge off the beauty of them in recent years (fins, holes in the wings above the wheels). But standing a couple of feet away from the Toyota and Audi last year in the paddock area, you don't realise just how amazingly complex these race cars are. Looking forward to another big team in the mix.

With the new LMP3 as well, 2015 is going to be a great year I think :thumbsup:
Oh yes, I'm planning to go to Spa will be my first WEC race ;D

I rated your post agree but have to quote it too because ^that^ is just so true. :thumbsup:

I read in well informed German mag "MOTORSPORT aktuell" the combustion engine will deliver 500 or 550 hp constantly to the front wheels. The hybrid part will be used for boosting the rear tyres as you will know.
@Yuri Kasdorp

More interesting: This car seems to be made for Le Mans. Long straights, slow and tight corners mostly, low tirewear. I don't believe they can handle 1.250 hp, so they expect a little less.
No rear wing at all is another possibility...

My rating is: Le Mans surprise, WEC season rather not that successful.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.5%