WEC: Nissan delay debut until Le Mans

GTR Le Mans.png

News coming from Nissan today has confirmed that the Japanese outfit intends to delay its entry in the WEC until the 24 Heures de Le Mans.

The news means Nissan will not participate in next week’s test session at Paul Ricard, nor the opening two rounds at Silverstone or Spa Francorchamps respectively.

Whilst the team have yet to give an official reason for the delayed debut, sources close to the team suggest that problems with their hybrid system and general testing difficulties have meant Nissan have concluded that they are not yet ready to compete.

Ah that's a shame. Looking forward to seeing them in the WEC. But, I'd rather them be ready. Another reason to look forward to Le Mans (as if we needed another...)

From my sources (German MOTORSPORT aktuell) it was argued they maybe didn't have a hybrid system installed/activated at all while testing in Sebring. Where Nissan did 56 laps in total over several days.
Audi completed thousands of kms...

Lap times seemed to be horrifying. So I never expected them to attend Paul Ricard or Silverstone, but was hoping for Spa (where I will be on site) to see this alternative approach from a few meters away.

Now, after reading this, I personally, by today, do not believe the cars running in Le Mans will come close to finishing 24h of racing.
What do you think? @Jack Hunsley @Nox

It's too early to tell, we've not seen it in race trim. And Le Mans is a strange race where you don't need to be the fastest over a lap to win it over 24 hours, so we may be surprised. So, not a clue...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 251 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 124 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.8%