• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

WEC | Glickenhaus Confirms Two Car Works Entry For 2021

SeriousNewb

250RPM
Dec 22, 2014
Good news for Jim Glickenhaus after so many years of being allowed to enter only the Nurburgring 24h for so many years with no invites to Le Mans it seems the changes in the rules and the world of Motorsport in general have finally made it possible :D

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
They did well in some 24H Series races awhile back but usually ran into reliability issues & they regularly race in the VLN. They led at Misano one year after 9 hours then ran into engine trouble.
I always route for them in the VLN, but they prove how hard it is to fight against full works factory race cars.
But I love their approach, they took the GT3 class rule book and build there car to fit it (tho ofc they did not start in SP9 but SP-X), I've heard how "frightened" Audi, Porsche and all were that a Honda powered car could potentially beat them in the 24h ;)

They move away from that Honda/HPD powerplant now, but Pipo Moteurs is a bit of box of secrets in this context. They are known for highest power rally and rallycross engines, and some article I found even explicitly says that the SCG 007 will get what is essentially two Hyundai i20 WRC engines in a vee.

Reactions: AngryWolfCorey

AngryWolfCorey

50RPM
Premium
Jul 14, 2018
I always route for them in the VLN, but they prove how hard it is to fight against full works factory race cars.
But I love their approach, they took the GT3 class rule book and build there car to fit it (tho ofc they did not start in SP9 but SP-X), I've heard how "frightened" Audi, Porsche and all were that a Honda powered car could potentially beat them in the 24h ;)

They move away from that Honda/HPD powerplant now, but Pipo Moteurs is a bit of box of secrets in this context. They are known for highest power rally and rallycross engines, and some article I found even explicitly says that the SCG 007 will get what is essentially two Hyundai i20 WRC engines in a vee.
Yes to be honest I had never heard of Pipo Moteurs until recently. That's definitely an interesting choice of engine supplier.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
Yes to be honest I had never heard of Pipo Moteurs until recently. That's definitely an interesting choice of engine supplier.
OK I have to admit after some research that this looks more and more interresting.

ByTheWay: It looks pretty brave to pick the engine from Pipo Moteurs (!!!) after the Honda fiasco:x3:
Maybe McLaren should have a talk with Mistar Pipo:roflmao:

TamponTea

1RPM
Jun 15, 2019
While everyone thinks its a joke he has the right mindset an has a head on approach an like what was said earlier his GT3 car was up there running with the rest so you never know

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Premium
Oct 10, 2011
While everyone thinks its a joke he has the right mindset an has a head on approach an like what was said earlier his GT3 car was up there running with the rest so you never know
After my mentioned research I dont consider it a fullblown joke - anymore.
Because it looks like if these cars havent run into "maintaince problems " the end results in races would have been much better.
So looking forward to watch how this outsider can do:)

stenovitz

50RPM
Aug 22, 2014
Wonderful news!
Again one of the cars I got familiar to due to simracing and not the opposite (other example the Gillet Vertigo).
Think first time was in early version of AC. But didn't drive it before watching more very good presentations at Youtube by James Glickenhaus himself. He has so much racing DNA to the bone as I've only experienced by a handful other racing car inventors.
And then I got hooked with AC's interpretion of one of his SCG.

This is the kind of racing DNA 24 Heures du Mans need these years.
Just can't wait for it!

Feb 2, 2018
Let it impress...!

The FWD Nissan LM car did one (disastrous) race, yet it will be talked about in years to come, just because of how crazy and out-of-the-box it was. Who cares about an Audi or a Peugeot that won Le Mans multiple times, if it has no charm? This car will turn heads and fill headlines in 12 months' time :)
The Nissan was nothing than a PR stunt. They never had the aim or means to compete with Audi, Toyota or Porsche on equal footing, so they built a 'special' car they hyped the living daylights ouf of (with blatant lies aka 2000 hp) before the greatest (the only race people care for, if we are honest) of the year only to never be seen again. A shameful demeanour for the great Nissan name.

Daniel Monteiro

2000RPM
Staff member
Premium
Sep 1, 2008
The Nissan was nothing than a PR stunt. They never had the aim or means to compete with Audi, Toyota or Porsche on equal footing, so they built a 'special' car they hyped the living daylights ouf of (with blatant lies aka 2000 hp) before the greatest (the only race people care for, if we are honest) of the year only to never be seen again. A shameful demeanour for the great Nissan name.
It seems to have worked, as we're still talking about it 5 years on :p I know I was the one who brought it up haha.

Of course people must have been happy to see Porsche win instead of Audi for a change, but I remember the greatest cheer, by far, being given to the Nissan as it crossed the line :)