Alright when was that again.....?

I wouldn't be as excited as most of you here...

First: No goodbye F1, in fact, this is most likely related to F1 Budget Cap, that allows to spend the extra resources and personnel on this LMH project.

Second: Some user asked what model will the hypercar be based on... Have you seen the hyper-cars presented so far... THEY ARE PROTOTYPES and won't be based on any model.

Third: I can't see the LMH and the LMDh racing evenly... And given the ACO/FIA antics, it most likely will turn very much like the "balanced" racing between the LMP1-H and the LMP1. Why would any of the brands developing a LMH car would spend so much money to possibly be beaten by an LMP2 on steroids? Do you think that the FIA/ACO will allow that? Hardly... And then Audi, Acura or Porsche won't compete at Le Mans if not for the absolute win... So I don't think it will last much.

On the other hand, let's suppose the BOP actually let's them compete... Will any of the LMH manufacturers stay if the much cheaper LMDh keep beating them?

I don't think it will be a problem in America/IMSA, but for the WEC, i don't think its sustainable... 9 manufacturers fighting to win one race (because the WEC is so centered around the 24 LM)... , means every year there will be 8 "losers" and manufacturers don't like to stay losing. Just as the BMW/Toyota/Honda scenario in F1 2009.

I hope I'm wrong, but it should have been aimed at privateers or semi-official structures... not marketing driven corporations.

First: No goodbye F1, in fact, this is most likely related to F1 Budget Cap, that allows to spend the extra resources and personnel on this LMH project.

Second: Some user asked what model will the hypercar be based on... Have you seen the hyper-cars presented so far... THEY ARE PROTOTYPES and won't be based on any model.

Third: I can't see the LMH and the LMDh racing evenly... And given the ACO/FIA antics, it most likely will turn very much like the "balanced" racing between the LMP1-H and the LMP1. Why would any of the brands developing a LMH car would spend so much money to possibly be beaten by an LMP2 on steroids? Do you think that the FIA/ACO will allow that? Hardly... And then Audi, Acura or Porsche won't compete at Le Mans if not for the absolute win... So I don't think it will last much.

On the other hand, let's suppose the BOP actually let's them compete... Will any of the LMH manufacturers stay if the much cheaper LMDh keep beating them?

I don't think it will be a problem in America/IMSA, but for the WEC, i don't think its sustainable... 9 manufacturers fighting to win one race (because the WEC is so centered around the 24 LM)... , means every year there will be 8 "losers" and manufacturers don't like to stay losing. Just as the BMW/Toyota/Honda scenario in F1 2009.

I hope I'm wrong, but it should have been aimed at privateers or semi-official structures... not marketing driven corporations.
I don't disagree with most of your points, just the response to the 'goodbye F1.' I think it was the point of view of the fellow that he won't be watching F1 once Ferrari and all the other marques begin competing in WEC/IMSA. Not that F1 will expire, just his interest will be focused elsewhere.

I'm not that sure that overall "winning" is the absolute goal anymore, as motorsport coverage and marketing has changed so much for endurance racing.

The cynic in me sees this development as the "last hurrah" before motorsport in total ends up being phased out/banned come the 2030s.

Same old same old the only thing they need is a driver who can keep up with MAX. So they can get higher in the constructor points. They will have that. But Perez can not get anxious and push to beat Max or there will be bad blood on the team.

I would say that Hamilton being sick was a big one.

He was sick for the Oval race in Bahrain, not Abu Dhabi, but it's possible he still had lingering effects from it. Also it's possible either Merc weren't pushing as hard since everything was wrapped up, Red Bull finally figured out the car, or a little bit of both...we'll have to wait til March to see.

Considering Merc had to remove DAS for this year, they were probably hard at work finding ways to make up for any lost performance, so it may be a one sided battle this year as well for WDC...but Perez might make the constructors battle more interesting, depending on him and Bottas.

Looking forward to the battles between Checo & Max. Checo is also a well experienced racer. So no more 'yeah but team mate is a rookie' excuses ;) Hopefully it will make them both even better drivers and they can (also) compete for the Constructors title.

Last edited:
I think we can also agree that there was zero semblance of a title fight. At least in 19, 18, 17 Ferrari managed to put up a challenge during the season. To me Merc dominance was at it's peak powers and made watching formula 1.5 or the midfield battle the main draw.

tbh F1.5 getting more and more exciting has actually made last season far more enjoyable for me. There was a lot of stuff happening on and off the track to make it worth following this year, far more then last year (which was better then the year before). I really enjoyed the 2020 season.

And even Lewis Hamilton managed to excite during the Turkey GP. Those Mercedes cars seemed to struggle all weekend but he managed to stay consistently fast on a track where everybody - including and most of all his teammate - was spinning.

Then again I'd give the entire odball season up if that meant that Covid got tackled in march last year.

Yes, last year certainly had many interesting plot lines and Turkey was awesome. I often love the rain races as it throws such a wrench into the mix. Anybody can win / achieve podium. Hopefully now with Perez in Redbull we can see a proper constructors battle this season.

Gasly had a shot at the top car the Red Bull and could not cut it. Apart from a win at Mugello, A track to tight for a long wheel base F1 car. With many accidents to prove it. So Ocon is the better driver he lost his seat due to team politics. But he will out race Gasly. Okay Last year Gasly had 75pts to Ocons 62 points. Thats a 13point difference. But Gasly was in his old team Alphatauri with many people he can work well with. and Ocon was in a new Renault team with new people. And the Virus has made it hard on all athletes. Lack of staff on teams and parts ect. Lack of fans. But at the end of the day the Renault is the better car as it is a factory team not a sister team. Gasly should of worked harder and made the Red Bull team work harder to make things work. This is what big name drivers do. You don't just go with the flow and take what the team gives you. Even though i wont wok for you.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%