weather generator confusion

Hi all,
i am totaly confused on what to believe from "Autosim Weather Generator v1_0 by alexz".
in the readme from author you can read this:

1. Run the program.
2. Specify what sessions you want.
3. Draw air temperature and humidity graphs.
4. Export the results to weather.txt file in GTR2 folder.

impossible as the program will force you to save "weather.xml" moreover when you choose to load the file, you are asked to load a "*.xml" file and even if you rename it, the program does not find it.

the "readme" say to export in main folder, and on other readme, it say to drop the file in "userdata/log"

Maybe someone could give some light on this, i would appreciate any infos on that because the way it is i cant logicaly figure out, i have been trying all possible ways to make it work, unsuccessfuly.

Thanks

Save means you save what's inside what you prepare.
Export means that you apply what you prepared and will use for GTR2.

- xml to save or load what you're preparing
- txt for weather to use in GTR2

So when you mostly use it ... you won't even save what you do as it's nearly easier to export it immediately in .txt for use .... and you'll even be able later to modify it for littles details in notepad for example.

This tool is rather easy to use and prepare a weather file isn't something for which you'll need hours ... maybe a few minutes mostly.

But if you need it for a longer work you can save it that way and will be able later to load it and continue work on this file before exporting for use.

NB when exported don't forget to check the property ... it's mandatory to be "Read Only" ... else it will be modified automatically by GTR2 when launching a session.
In order to modify it you'd need of course to modify the property first.

Moreover it is weather.txt and not weather.ini as we can read sometimes, and it is located in UserData\Log\ (same place as trace.txt).

Plus, there is a bug with autosim generator : you need to add the on/offpathwetness as discovered by sikjar just under Race entry
I also noticed that sometimes the AI cars pile into the pit after lap one, but this seems to be related to an error in the weather.ini file created by Autosim Weather Generator.
The files created by Autosim Weather Generator have this format:

Weather { Race { Conditions=90.00 AmbientTemp=37.05 Minute=0.00 { Conditions=91.27 AmbientTemp=36.99 } } }

When I use the above weather.ini file, the AI cars all start on dry tires, even though it's raining, and at the end of lap one they all pit for rain tires.

This doesn't happen if I use the proper format for the weather.ini file. The below file has been edited so that it has the same format as the weather.ini file created by the game itself:

Weather { Race { Conditions=90.00 OnPathWetness=90.00 OffPathWetness=90.00 AmbientTemp=37.05 TrackTemp=43.75 Minute=1.00 { Conditions=91.27 AmbientTemp=36.99 } } }
Since this weather.ini file contains information about the track condition at the start, the AI cars start on the right tires, and they will not pit after lap one.

Using Weatherfile Generator for GTR2 2.3 will also give you a weather.ini file with the correct formatting.

I'm not sure how many people are actually interested in this topic, I just thought I'd share my findings with you ;)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot GTR233 and Jempy, exactely the infos i need, will do this precedure.
one thing more, do i have to set "changeable" in the menu prior to launch the track?

upon making the procedure, i opened "weather.txt" and i get this :

(see attached file)

No way to add what Sikjar recommend.
So still confused :O_o:

PS after investigating, i used the generator and exported the txt file then making it read only, but it still does not look like the exemple from Sikjar.
this file made by the generator looks different but still not like his exemple.

Attachments

• weather.txt
    36.3 KB · Views: 60
  • weather.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
For what Sikjar recommends ... you need to modify the .txt file and add the missing lines by yourself .... choosing your values
this tool is not foreseen to create those additional lines.

Open your .txt file with notepad or notepad++ ... add the lines ... save and close.
Don't forget to make the file "Read Only" if not yet done at the start or unactivated in order to modify it.

The way it is presented is maybe only a question of how it was created manually.

Last edited:
@Sil,

Can't comment much on the generator app, but on another thread you mentioned you are using CC plugin. If you still do here are two suggestions on how plugin can help improving the weather experience.

1) Make sure disableMyDocumentsProfile is set to 1. Otherwise, weather.txt works with problems.

2) And, if you want to fix Changeable weather generated by the game (no neeed for any tool whatsoever), use applyChangeableWeatherPatch setting. Then you can change Rain setting in track .gdb to control the rain frequency :) Just use Changeable weather in event settings and enjoy unpredictable conditions. Note: if you are using this method, make sure weather.txt is NOT readonly.

Last edited:
Thanks Jempy and Iron Wolf,
@Jempy, will do that as another option to see what it does, and @Iron Wolf, i will give a try to CC, thanks for pointing me to the .ini, will follow that direction also, what i like about this option is that it will be unpredictable ;)

Will let you guys know :)

Last edited:
For a private use, I'd follow @The Iron Wolf way of doing as it will be unpredictable.

In my case ... in fact I mostly adapted the system to Race07 - GTR Evo as league admin at the time for a league endurance championship.
But in fact I wished to be sure that the weather files were done in the most realistic way possible without a brutal change between sunny weather and full rain.

For people like me who cannot use crewchief and you want unpredictable changing weather (not possible with original gtr2.exe) then either use jtsn changing weather with NOCD ONLY, or use the GTR2 DIGITAL EXE from HQ Anniv. Patch. (#2 page 5)

The "problem" of unpredictable weather feature is that you will never have huge rain 70-100% during a race, indeed the max I noticed was around 40-50% : I think the game engine is like that because AI is not really good with pit in to change tyre compound, and this is also the reason I have tweaked my hq tyres with more wet grip to allow AI to stay on track and not slow down when weather changes from dry to wet.

There are definitely opportunities to improve the Changeable weather in game. The easiest would be if someone would code up a console application that generates better weather.txt than game does, and plugin could call that application on session start.

That would be great !
One day I might do it myself, but at the moment it does feel like a very low priority. As you said above it works great with jstn patch (applyChangeableWeatherPatch) and fixes in my plugin, at least for my use.

The gdb setting: Average rain = 0.4
I find value between 0.3-0.4 to produce enjoyable results, let me know what you think.

One more thing - recently I noticed that poorly authored tires of some mods could cause AI to work badly in rain. A quick check is to start rainy session and check if game selected wets or intermediates for you - if it didn't AI will be broken. Luckily, fix is super simple - just change tires to some that work well.

Did you enable CC plugin wipers @Sil? Not only they clear rain in two speeds on a button press, in beta of a plugin they also clear the dirtscreen! :D

Last edited:
One day I might do it myself, but at the moment it does feel like a very low priority. As you said above it works great with jstn patch (applyChangeableWeatherPatch) and fixes in my plugin, at least for my use.

The gdb setting: Average rain = 0.4
I find value between 0.3-0.4 to produce enjoyable results, let me know what you think.

One more thing - recently I noticed that poorly authored tires of some mods could cause AI to work badly in rain. A quick check is to start rainy session and check if game selected wets or intermediates for you - if it didn't AI will be broken. Luckily, fix is super simple - just change tires to some that work well.

Did you enable CC plugin wipers @Sil? Not only they clear rain in two speeds on a button press, in beta of a plugin they also clear the dirtscreen! :D
- I tried in gdb the value : Average rain = 0.85 (in HQ Magny cours) the track is flooded and its a real challenge ! but..... i did a complete session of practice so far, it stayed like that the whole session, no change in weather conditions. as for rain i think that value is too high, will try with 0.40 as you said and see how it works.
- difficult to say because i did only wet conditions but i will check that. what i saw is AI have problems if a car in front of them spins they will spin too as they block the brakes. must do some more try, and eventualy change tires.
- and yes wipers (CC) are working like a charm, 2 speed and they clear rain, i must see for the dirtscreen if that gets clean as well, will report back.

Last edited:
- I tried in gdb the value : Average rain = 0.85 (in HQ Magny cours) the track is flooded and its a real challenge ! but..... i did a complete session of practice so far, it stayed like that the whole session, so no change. i think that value is too high, will try with 0.40 as you said and see how it works.
- difficult to say because i did only wet conditions but i will check that. what i saw is AI have problems if a car in front of them spins they will spin too as they block the brakes. must do some more try, and eventualy change tires.
- and yes wipers (CC) are working like a charm, 2 speed and they clear rain, i must see for the dirtscreen if that gets clean as well, will report back.
Dirt screen requires beta of the plugin - it is not released yet, but you can find beta at thecrewchief.org. Or wait for 1-2 weeks for the the official release of a very big update.

BTW since you care about weather - on private section of EEC forum I share wipers for cars I race. It is also very easy to add wipers to cars, thanks to GTR233 textures - most often 10-15 mins of work per car, some cars are tricky, but it is do once enjoy forever, so very much worth it.

Last edited:
Great will look EEC forum, is this also possible for mod cars ?
and i was about to confirm that it does not clean dirt screen, but i see its a beta, i will wait for that ;)
i got to find a way to fix those spins, allready tried in gdb :

RoadDryGrip = 1.02
AIDryGrip = 1.06
RoadWetGrip = 0.77

unfortunatly that does not cure them really, they still spin in some curbs.
maybe will try with tires, to give some better coefficient and/or stabilise them :

RearBrakeRange=(0.200, 0.005, 121)
RearBrakeSetting=46

there are so many ways in the physics, its not easy to find the optimal balance, but eventually i will find something.
first thing i gonna slow them just before the curve with "F1AIW-program-40.exe" , see if that will cure the issue.

cool mate, will go and check this ;)
btw i fixed the aiw magny cours, i did slow down AI before left/right medium curve after pitlane and no more spin, the secret for a good flow is to do it in a few parts, for exemple in magny cours you choose waypoint (start of decceleration) 90-100 at 0.700 then 100-110 at 0.800 and finaly 110-115 at 0.900 witch is the waypoint to reaccelerate from (to default 1.000), so AI will have a smooth decceleration witch is good if you are behind and no spin.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing