We Check Out the Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fanatec DD Wheel 1.JPG

At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

Fanatec DD Wheel 2.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 3.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 6.JPG

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fanatec DD Wheel 5.JPG
Fanatec DD Wheel 4.JPG

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Interesting look:whistling: but I think I'll stick with my V2:thumbsup:
With the V2.5 at $830Aud, I think the DD will be financially out of reach for many, I'm guessing it will drop in at $1300 to 1500Aud, will be very surprised if it's any cheaper.

Upvote 0
  • ronniej

You know what they say...If you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway lol. Put in a good word for me Paul, and ask Mr.Jackermeier to send me a personalized matte black unit!:thumbsup:

FYI: I need a nice wheel upgrade as well, and haven't pressed the "buy now" button because of $ and sense. Also, the wheel I was looking for was on back order and heard new wheels were coming out soon so.....:coffee:

Upvote 0
I find it pretty funny they used prototype camo wrap to mask whatever the hell they are trying to cover up which is nothing.

I agree but my guess would be that they didn't want anyone taking pictures and posting them online as the final product. At least wearing the camo, there's no doubt this is a prototype product so don't draw any conclusions just yet on the final form factor.

Upvote 0
Everyone talking about the weird wrap, but no one says anything about using Pcars 2? Did they only preview with Pcars 2 or did they use other sims? Is this saying something good about Pcars 2 FFB or is this just marketing?

I and a few others have stated in this forum more than once that the FFB is MUCH improved in PCARS 2 compared to the first.

Upvote 0
Keep on topic gents, we don't need to hear about what everyone currently uses and thinks is the perfect option for all or what we think is too expensive or how a guy with a n64 controller is faster than one with a dd wheel. The topic is if we are looking forward to new fanatec products and will they challenge existing dd products.

Upvote 0
View attachment 212080
At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

View attachment 212081 View attachment 212082 View attachment 212085

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

View attachment 212084 View attachment 212083

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

That Box look so cool, is not that ugly but Camouflage scheme wasn't first choice for that base box, at lest is going work with other fanatenc steering wheels types.

Upvote 0
Keep on topic gents, we don't need to hear about what everyone currently uses and thinks is the perfect option for all or what we think is too expensive or how a guy with a n64 controller is faster than one with a dd wheel. The topic is if we are looking forward to new fanatec products and will they challenge existing dd products.

Awww damn...I tried to delete my posts but it wouldn't let me. I've failed the topic of this thread and I sincerely apologize. Sometimes the rebel in me just comes out and I can't control myself. ;)

Upvote 0
I and a few others have stated in this forum more than once that the FFB is MUCH improved in PCARS 2 compared to the first.
Thanks for your input, but I didn't see your original post about FFB. It was also kind of a two part question, because I was curious if they used an established sim that could be a better comparison. Such as rF2 or AMS. Also "much improved" is subjective. Guess I'll just wait for a collective group of reviews to come out after it's release....cheers.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input, but I didn't see your original post about FFB. It was also kind of a two part question, because I was curious if they used an established sim that could be a better comparison. Such as rF2 or AMS. Also "much improved" is subjective. Guess I'll just wait for a collective group of reviews to come out after it's release....cheers.

Understood, I have no idea why PCARS 2 was chosen to demo other than I know Fanatec has likely worked closely with SMS to develop proper wheel support. PCARS 2 FFB is quite good though compared to the first, only 6 more days to go...

Upvote 0
I would love to buy one of the new Fanatec CSL Elites but they list no support for rF2 so to pay big $$ for a DD wheel wouldn't be a good option so it looks like Thrustmaster might be my next purchase!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the people who are hoping for a Xmas arrival (don't):

Disclosure: I am not related to Fanatec or their business partners.

example time schedule:
- final approval of prototypes and series production design (not yet finished as of news from the fair)
- production of first series production samples ("Nullserie") for certification and tests (still using prototype manufactured components as series production tools and materials are likely not finalized/ procured) 1-2 weeks (fast)
- certification processing time unknown (times we have dealt with in the past for new products have been anywhere from 2-8 weeks and need procedures both with Chinese and European officials)

- after certificates received:

- material procurement for first series production 1-4 weeks (fast) (remember what we know about the motor unit is that it is not an off the shelf unit but a custom motor and production of that unit in usable quantities does take 2-4 weeks to trickle into the supply chain)
- If Fanatec goes for any molded components (as they have done for all prior wheel base products) that are not finalized as we speak, add another 4-6 weeks for tooling, sampling and approval of those components (this usually is time spent overlapping with prior processes as mold based components are always aimed to be finalized and locked first as of the tool making time involved)
- with all components finalized and in stock, ready to assemble look for min 2-3 weeks for the production of the first container shipment from China to Europe
(as for OEM packaged product size and demand on such an item you want 40ft containers, not 20ft so take into consideration rather longer production time for first shipment
- as of it being the first CN export of this new product add 1-2 weeks safety for CN customs and potential CIQ processing (been there, done that many times)
- shipping 5 weeks on sea, add 1-2 weeks safety delay for customs at port of entry
- add 1 week for local transport to ship from Rotterdam (most likely port of entry into the EU) to local distribution warehouse (add 1 week for first ever stock + product familiarization)

We are looking at earliest shipping dates to customers shipping out at the end of February 2018. Should first units be shipped by airfreight (some manufacturers choose this route for their first stock at country of distribution), make that end of January at the earliest time possible.
If anyone really wants one of these, be among the very first to order. There is the Spring Festival holiday season in China mainland (the whole manufacturing sector in the country is shut down for holidays for 1-2 weeks and container shipments prior to the holidays are TIGHT and properly booked out).

I wouldn't be surprised if Fanatec is looking to offer pre-orders with financial incentives to first customers around Xmas time for an early delivery to prevent those customers to be lost in Xmas shopping to competitors.

I will be ordering mine as soon as it becomes available through official channels here in Shanghai - usually later than in the EU + US :-(

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back