Watkins Glen International

Tracks Watkins Glen International 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Sorry, but I have to be 'that guy' with a complaint. And it is a small complaint, but it's a pet peeve of mine...

On the Boot versions of the circuit, I've noticed that you can drive straight through the cones at the Bus Stop. Would it be possible to make them more substantial so that there's a consequence for cutting this part of the track? Maybe use the cone assets from the Laguna Seca Kunos track, so they move when you hit them, or simply make them solid so that they cannot be driven through?

Other than this, the track is superb, and I have every faith that the final version will be another perfect must-have like Bridgehampton.

Movable objects like on LS only cause issues and solid block cones also dont make a lot of sense.

I thought about it too but Lilski for suree went for realism here anyways.

Only somewhat feasible solution would be some proper barriers a lil further back, so that you gotta drive a short but slow zick-zack and thus lose some time before re-entering but i dont think lilski would like that :D

I have tossed around ideas about what to do with cutting the bus stop. This release is mainly because we are using it for a league race where we have our own penalties. Cutting now will cause an invalid lap for hot lapping at least. I don't really want to put barriers there as they don't do that in real life. Maybe an extreme slowdown zone can be experimented with.

I will NOT ever use physical cones in AC on my tracks as they are flawed and cause major issues when they get stuck under a car.

I have tossed around ideas about what to do with cutting the bus stop. This release is mainly because we are using it for a league race where we have our own penalties. Cutting now will cause an invalid lap for hot lapping at least. I don't really want to put barriers there as they don't do that in real life. Maybe an extreme slowdown zone can be experimented with.

I will NOT ever use physical cones in AC on my tracks as they are flawed and cause major issues when they get stuck under a car.
Slow down could work, sort of like the pit limiter?

So I just tried it and a value of 0.2 for damping seems to work well. In the RSR I lost 3 seconds trying to cut the bus stop as opposed to taking the bus stop properly. If you want to try it for offline go to the data folder for the boot and short layouts. In the surfaces.ini find the CLASSIC key and replace the section with this

[SURFACE_5]
KEY=CLASSIC
FRICTION=0.99
DAMPING=0.2
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=5
IS_VALID_TRACK=0
SIN_HEIGHT=
SIN_LENGTH=
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

Backup you surface.ini before you mess with anything as this will break online use.

So I just tried it and a value of 0.2 for damping seems to work well. In the RSR I lost 3 seconds trying to cut the bus stop as opposed to taking the bus stop properly. If you want to try it for offline go to the data folder for the boot and short layouts. In the surfaces.ini find the CLASSIC key and replace the section with this

[SURFACE_5]
KEY=CLASSIC
FRICTION=0.99
DAMPING=0.2
WAV=
WAV_PITCH=
FF_EFFECT=NULL
DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
BLACK_FLAG_TIME=5
IS_VALID_TRACK=0
SIN_HEIGHT=
SIN_LENGTH=
IS_PITLANE=0
VIBRATION_GAIN=0
VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

Backup you surface.ini before you mess with anything as this will break online use.
Brilliant, I'll give this a shot! Thank you :)

I just found a bug with the grooves. Currently only the modern boot layout has a dynamic groove. So don't be surprised if you go to a lower grip on any other layout and the groove is still there. Also found a minor UV error inside the T1 curb. Both are fixed already for next update.

@LilSki, god damn, spot on. Really a master piece of a track. Love it. Great land environment. You have to teach me how to do it :)

ps: since you mentioned, there is an uv issue on the side of the bridge on the straight 2 turns before s/f line. Just noticed it when looking around and enjoying the landscape.

@LilSki, god damn, spot on. Really a master piece of a track. Love it. Great land environment. You have to teach me how to do it :)

ps: since you mentioned, there is an uv issue on the side of the bridge on the straight 2 turns before s/f line. Just noticed it when looking around and enjoying the landscape.
Thanks yeah those bridges or "tunnels" still need proper UV maps as well as the land needs a proper mask to isolate the roads and such. Right now everything has a "grass" detail. My main concern for this release was the view when driving. The rest will come later

Last edited:
Really enjoying this new release.
I'm actually having a hard time staying with the pack at 100 AI with GT3 cars:laugh:
They seem to gain about half a second to a second after every lap.
Just means more practice I guess.

LilSki, do you have any other tracks contemplating of making after the final build on this one?
Your builds are amazing.

Ran a few ten lap races on this yesterday, mixed grids, me in the 962 Langheck... it seems like a hard track to master, at least in that car

To those who want more road noise the track was completely resurfaced in 2016 and is very very smooth. Real life drivers have confirmed this version is accurate in that regard. I will not add something that isn't there in real life. If you want to feel more bumps in the wheel just crank up the road affect in ffb settings. Remember that setting doesn't add anything. It is only a amplification.

I was wondering about the smoothness. I've only ever had access to the old surface which is really rough and broken up. The newly repaved surface looks like glass and doesn't have much color contrast.

Great work on the track though. I'm not gonna fault you for being accurate. We'll just have to wait a few years for the track to get beat up.

To those who want more road noise the track was completely resurfaced in 2016 and is very very smooth. Real life drivers have confirmed this version is accurate in that regard. I will not add something that isn't there in real life. If you want to feel more bumps in the wheel just crank up the road affect in ffb settings. Remember that setting doesn't add anything. It is only a amplification.
Agree,
Also when you consider another track please consider a proper lidar Road america track ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 246 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 161 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 14.0%